Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile
What are the pros and cons of having a farm yard light? The prior owners of the farm we bought had the yard light disconnected as they wanted to see the stars, etc. She also told me that the light drew in predators. Well, we can't see if we get home after sunset or go out in the yard at night. It is pitch black, although the stars are beautiful. So, we are thinking about getting the light hooked up again. Every farm in my memory had a yard light. What do you do?

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  07:38:22 AM  Show Profile
We have a light and it is good for us. We havent had a problem with predators. And we have the same problem, it is pitch black after dark and it is great to have the light when we get home. We dont seem to have a problem seeing the stars either.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile
We have a light, and it makes a huge, beneficial difference. The one we have now is supplied by the power company on a tall power pole. At our previous home, it was on the front of the barn. The one on the front of the barn collected bugs like crazy during the summer. I had to dodge bugs going in and out of the barn in the evening and mornings...although the bats loved it!! The light on the power pole is not close to the house, and if it attracts bugs, I'm not aware of it. My Appaloosa is blind in one eye and darkness is his enemy. With the yard light that shines partially into the pasture, he can get around safely at night and not panic because he can't see.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  09:24:43 AM  Show Profile
I have several "yard lights" on all night long, front/back of barns, out at the corrals and rotation pasture, front and back porches, and in several other areas. I have never heard of lights drawing in predators, but actually the oposite...and our place too would be so dark, you would not be able to see your hand in front of your face...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  08:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Interesting debate. When we lived in the 'burbs we had the front and back porch lites on all night to keep the theives away even though we live with a street light in the yard. Now that we are in the county we turn all of our lights off at night. I like the blackness. But if I need to take the dog out I turn the lights on and bring a flashlight. Of course I don't have any chickens or cows yet. That may change once we get some.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'll be the contrary one on this subject. Having lived with and without, I'd prefer one that's on a motion sensor. That way, you get the light when you're out there, and it goes off when it times out. I've had the experience of neighbors installing lights that shone right into my bedroom window and it's a killer. I like pitch black for sleeping.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Erm.... We've always kept a light on at night to DISCOURAGE predators and it seems to have worked for my family for... oh... thirty years.... never had a problem in Oregon, northern Nevada or Arizona with that strategy.

We usually leave on the back porch light only, but I'm planning on getting some ground level solar yard lights (brightish ones). Not only will it save me a little power and light up the ground if my ducks can get to them they'll have a bug buffet every night.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile
I keep a bright light in the barn for that EXACT reason-predators. My in-laws have a farm light, and many people on our road do-provided by the power company. As long as you can control where its put, it's usually helpful. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  2:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I've never had it but I like the idea of a motion sensor light. This way you get the best of both worlds. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:21:17 PM  Show Profile
We have lights that we leave on if we are coming in late so we can see but when we are home it's all lights out due to human predators (thieves). Our house is set back just far enough that even I can't see it in the dark when driving by and I live here. So a thief is less likely to notice our house or get ideas about our belongings. How sensitive are motion sensor lights? I think it would be going on and off all night here because of little animals and deer. Not sure I would like that.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  8:01:11 PM  Show Profile
We live out in the country too. No lights (at least not big ones). We do use the small solar lights on the pathway into the house. Helps a TON. I want to get more of them though. And brighter ones possibly. However, at the light level that the ones we have are, they do not attract bugs so I do like that! We do have outdoor lights on the house/barn though just rarely use them, they attract bugs like crazy! Only use them if we absolutely have to. Say we have company coming, or during my brothers wedding reception that we had in the barn, then we used the outside barn light etc. Mostly though those solar lights work well for us on a daily basis coming home at night. However we also don't have farm animals, only dogs/cats.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  09:49:57 AM  Show Profile
We have a couple of motion lights. They will turn on when the dogs come to the house from the shop. We don't have deer around because of the dogs. It's nice coming home at night or you just have to run out to the shop for some little thing.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  9:49:49 PM  Show Profile
It's pitch black at night here, too, although the moon can be bright enough to keep us from falling into the pond! :) Our solution to avoiding light pollution but still lighting paths was to install down lights in a couple of the taller trees near the house, aimed down at paths. They're on timers to come on at sundown and off at sunrise. They're very low-wattage, just enough. And we have little filters on the lamps to soften and diffuse the light. THe units are only about 3 inches long, 2 inches wide. They use halogen bulbs. Very economical. When the trees leaf out, you can't see the light source. The leaves filter the light even more. It's pretty, and doesn't interfere with stargazing at all.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the input! We have decided to put in a yard light near the workshop/garage, which is behind a row of trees from the house. We will see how this works and if we have enough light!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  07:03:39 AM  Show Profile
It's so dark out here, it's scary. EXCEPT for my neighbor's yard light, which we hate. It shines right into our bedroom window. Sigh. But, of course, you have to be able to make your way around. We have porch lights and a light off of our workshop. When we had coyote problems, we did leave a light on off of the shop all night. Now, we're just back to flashlights and porch lights. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  1:08:42 PM  Show Profile
We have motion detector lights on our house, garage, and animal barn. When I asked for the motion lights down on the animal barn, I got "that look" but before the week was out, the light came on around 9pm, DH went to check and got that ooon that has been hanging around all summer. I vote for the motion detector lights.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm yard light Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page