Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Do any of you farmgirls flood irrigate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Do any of you farmgirls flood irrigate? Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  9:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you use flood (ditch/furrow) irrigation on your farms? If you do, do you use dirt ditches, cement ditches or gated pipe? We have used plain old dirt ditches for the past eight years, and they've worked well enough, but there's a possibility that we may be able to join with the people who own the neighboring field in getting a new system - either gated pipe or cemented main ditch. Having worked with neither before, do any of you have experience here? If so, what have you liked and disliked?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  1:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Wish I could help Libbie. We don't ditch irrigate here.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  07:17:00 AM  Show Profile
We had our first "water turn" over the past several days, and, I'm tiredly glad to announce that it's OVER. Man, that first water turn is SO much shovel work every darn time - no matter how prepared you think you are, some dam breaks through or some other nonsense happens and I end up out there in the middle of the field in the middle of the night with a shovel, a headlamp and boots so muddy they make that sucking noise every time I take a step. Okay - all the complaining aside, the field looks so nice and green right now - and we planted oats on about a two-acre section - and that's all watered and ready to go. What a relief! I just wanted to let you all know that THAT'S where I've been lately - I'm SO glad it only happend 3-4 times a year (if we're lucky!). This year, we're back in a drought, and the older farmers are saying that we may only get 2 waterings this year. That's gonna make for some expensive hay next winter.

I know that I asked this last autumn, but do any of you gals flood irrigate? If you do - any hints? I've been doing it for 8 years now, and, durn it - every spring that first turn throws me for a loop...

XOXO, Libbie

In honor of Mother's Day, "If it's not one thing, it's your mother...
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie, We ditch irrigate off of the Bessemer ditch, that travels through a concrete ditch. We use tubes to disperse the water and we get our share every 10 days. It can be a challenge at times, but nothing like you have it! Man, that sounds miserable! Here's something funny though, there's a city golf course that's a little over 20 miles from us and we find golf balls in the ditch. One time the owls were collecting them!! Too funny! Hang in there tho, guess it's all worth it. Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  07:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Lu! I have the most envious feelings when I hear about gated pipe - is that what you have? I've been trying to figure out which would be best for us - concrete ditches, gated pipe or a combination, and then how to pay for it (ugh!).

Its SO amazing what can come through the canals and ditches, isn't it? The golf ball thing is so funny - I'll bet you had some surprised owls!!! And, yep, it's all worth it!

XOXO, Libbie

In honor of Mother's Day, "If it's not one thing, it's your mother...
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  1:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I grew up on a farm that had concrete main ditches. To access the water from the ditch to the field, syphon tubes of all sizes were used, just depending on the water needs, the flow available, and the lay of the land. This method works best with little ditches, called corgates, running through your field in straight lines. The machine that does this is an attachment to the tractor hitch.

I never mastered the syphon technique as a kid, but all my brothers did and my sister in law did, too. I stuck to moving single line sprinkler irrigation pipes across the field by hand. When we were young my brothers and I did this together, one on each end. Boy howdy, there were some tug of wars back then with those pipes.

If you can afford concrete, it's an okay way to go. I think the pvc pipes with holes in them might be easier and have less evaporation. You might do a cost comparison and see. I think concrete is pricey right now.

Good luck!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Clare on May 14 2007 1:28:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  10:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Clare - this sounds a lot like our irrigating method - except instead of a concrete main and the siphons, we have a dirt main and then dirt secondary ditches that lead to sections of furrows - which I think are the same as "corgates." I think I'm going to see if the USDA folks will come out and do an irrigation recommendation for me - Thanks so much for responding - I really am curious about how you all irrigate...The dirt ditches work okay, but...geez...there just HAS to be an easier way (okay, an easier, AFFORDABLE, way!)

XOXO, Libbie

Edited by - Libbie on May 18 2007 8:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile
For anyone who uses a well for irrigation, here's a site that might be of interest:
http://ogw01.er.usgs.gov/Net/OGWNetwork.asp?ncd=rtn
Click your state on the map (the link from the pull down list was broken).
Click on the individual well to get a lot of interesting realtime data.

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Do any of you farmgirls flood irrigate? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page