Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 HELP...Power line through front yard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic HELP...Power line through front yard Next Topic  

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  11:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Hello, friends
I haven't written in a long time as life just gets away from me, but I now have a super-duper problem . A large transmission company wants to run a 138kV transmission line through my corral, front yard and orchard! Has anyone dealt with something like this and do you have any suggestions? We are looking to move if need be but really don't want to, as you can well imagine.
Help!!!

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  12:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Yikes, that sounds like a super-duper problem, for sure. Are they trying to buy your entire piece of land, or lease/pay you anything or are they exercising a pre-determined right-of-way for this?

I don't have any experience or advice, but it sure sounds like you will need some expert advice, both here on the forum and perhaps a land use attorney as well to represent your interests?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  2:06:44 PM  Show Profile
They are not allowed to claim the highway right of way, so they are trying to buy an additional 20 feet easement. They are planning to keep the land under the lines clear for 30 foot on either side...with herbicides! The township has contacted a lawyer who specializes in these types of cases, but I wondered about anyone else's experiences...

Thanks,

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  7:10:36 PM  Show Profile
If you maintained their easement yourself, you could at least keep the pesticides away from your property. If all it involved was cutting the grass? My dad was looking at buying a property that only had a garden spot right under the power lines. He contacted them, and they had no problem with him gardening under their lines, because it keeps them from having to maintain that area. If it meant bush -hogging a few times a year, i think it would be worth it! Contact your local power company. Become their ally before you become their enemy...JMHO
Cristine
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic HELP...Power line through front yard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page