YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  7:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm super new here, but I figured I could post some info and pics about my yaks for anyone interested.

Tibetan Yak - Bos grunniens "the grunting ox"

Some general info:

Uses: Meat, Hide/Leather, Fiber, Milk, Pack, Pull, Ride (yes, they can carry up to 20% of their body weight as cargo)

Often mistaken for Scottish Highlander cattle, due to their long coats and horns, but Yak are not cattle (Bos taurus).

Hybrids of yak X cattle are viable. The male offspring are sterile, while the female offspring are fertile.

Yak grow slower than production beef cattle and mature to about 2/3rds the size. They can live over 20 years in captivity, and cows can still produce calves into their twenties.

Some yak breeders boast that they eat 1/3rd that of beef cattle- that's if you want skinny yaks. Ours actually eat about half the hay of beef cattle.

In winter, the yak grow a soft down coat that they blow in the spring. This can be harvested and turned into yarn. Yak yarn is very expensive because it's rare and labor-intensive to get properly cleaned and de-haired (the longer guard hairs can't go into the yarn).

There are only 3 pattern types found in North America.
"Black" - Gray nosed, black hair
"Imperial" - Black nose and body hair
"Royal" - Piebald pattern of black and white

The marking pattern of white on the legs, head, etc. is called "Trim"

We have 4 Royals and 2 Black Trim yaks in our herd.

They enjoy apples from our trees:
Bullet, our 2.5 y/o bull, especially loves them

Yoko, almost 3 y/o heifer, is tame and gets to come into the back yard on occasion

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

~Natalie~ Just a farm girl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  8:05:11 PM  Show Profile
well i sure do have questions. first welcome to MJF so happy you are here. i need to sleep now. i will come back tomorrow and read your post better. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  8:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Way to cool! I'm wondering if these might work well for me? I'm allergic to beef. I can eat moose, elk, buffallo, deer, etc but not beef. Is their gestation 9months? How expensive are they? Where would a person get them should they want to? How much pasture do they need? How much hay a year? Temperments as a rule? Lots of questions. I'm positive I can't afford them right now but it might be something worth researching now and maybe getting later.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  8:42:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lieberkim
Is their gestation 9months?
~8 1/2 months :)

How expensive are they?
~Depends on color, training, age, breeding, registration, etc- Our cheapest yak was 800, our most expensive was 1500. These were prices on registered stock that was NOT friendly, from large herds, with no training in a halter, chute, anything. Our calves here will be halter trained and possibly started under harness, pack saddle, or riding saddle- that makes them more expensive. I'd recommend you getting young calves and raising them to be tame.

Where would a person get them should they want to?
~If you go to IYAK.ORG, that is the national registry. They have a breeders list. Also, I've seen ads on craigslist. I know there is a breeder in Sandpoint, ID with some male calves available for under a grand a piece.

How much pasture do they need?
~Obviously depends on the quality of the pasture, and they will burn a field if given the opportunity (just like any stock). The stocking ratio of the yak is 2:1 of cattle. Some say 3:1, I think they exaggerate.

How much hay a year?
~We hay in winter, we allot a ton per animal for the cold months. Our current herd goes through just over a ton of hay/month when not on pasture. That's a young herd of 6, all under 3 years old :)

Temperments as a rule?
~They are much smarter than cattle. This can be good and bad. They are gentle if socialized properly. Ours eat from our hand and allow head scratches after some work. They are easier to work on foot than cattle, and are very easy to get into a routine. Food is a great motivator- it's how we do all our training.

Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Lieberkim- If you can eat Buffalo, I think you would be able to eat yak. There are many breeders who will sell yak meat. It's a little expensive, but you may want to try it before getting a herd ;) I prefer it to any other meat on the planet. :)

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  04:12:07 AM  Show Profile
welcome Natalie. My sister lives in the banana belt area of Montana!
Your yaks looks real nice. What long hair they have. Do you spin any of it?
good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  07:17:31 AM  Show Profile
Awesome animals! Welcome to the Sisterhood!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  09:34:15 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Natalie

I have been in love with Yaks for 15 years now and have always talked myself out of bringing them on board to the Funny Farm but have worked with many a breeder around here and just love the animal and their fiber. Would love to know if you sell the fiber - you can always email me off line. In fact last night I was sending the last skein I spun out the door to a customer in FL - I had to sit and pet the skein many times before I wrapped it up.

Great to have you here and look foreword to hearing more about your adventures...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  7:33:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you posted photos, Natalie! Your yaks are beautiful, truly beautiful animals!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  7:52:55 PM  Show Profile
I didn't have a way of collecting fiber last spring, so all that lovely down went to waste. I have a squeeze chute with a head catch now, though- everyone will be properly groomed come Spring '12 :) Not sure on where I'll send it all to be dehaired and cleaned, but I'll at least have something to send this time around! If you deal with the raw fiber, I'm sure we could work something out, Grace :) I don't have a spinning wheel, and I don't think that's something I'll be adding to the craft room with a new infant around... maybe when he grows a bit :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments :) I love these guys very much!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  8:11:26 PM  Show Profile
The yaks are gorgeous and dare I say, look delicious! :P I bet they laugh at Montana winters!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  8:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, They love winter :) We let our overflow from our well back up into their pasture so they had some water to wade in when it was in the 90s+ this summer. They would wait until almost dark to run and play. They're loving the rain and the frosty nights. They get more active the cooler it is. None of this compares to 14000 ft elevation winters!

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  8:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pics....have you ever had their milk? What kind of milking temperament, quality & quantity?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile
We haven't had a calf yet. I know that their milk is SUPER high in butter fat because of where they're native to- high elevation and extreme cold temps. I know their production can't touch a dairy cow, but that it's so rich, you could water it down no problem (that's what store-bought milk is anyways). Our heifers are not trained for milking, and as such- not fans of being messed with in their udder region. It's understandable, I wouldn't want someone molesting me, either. We are working on them, and think we have 2 good milking candidates out of our 5 females. Just a matter of desensitizing them to being touched. We do this in the squeeze chute for now. Safety first :)

All calves we raise will be tame for work/pet use. We will retain females for milkers for sure.

Milking is one of the main reasons people like the hybrids of the yak/cattle. It ups the milk production without losing all the extra nutritional fats with the F1 crosses (further generations lose hybrid vigor and are not popular). They keep Dzomo (female hybrids) in Tibet for that very reason, as the nomads who keep the yak are dependent on the herd for almost all their food- they use the milk to make butter, cheese, etc.

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  10:44:39 AM  Show Profile
What lovely animals they are Natalie!! I am sure they stop traffic! Love your pictures too!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  1:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, We got them in February, and people still park their cars in the middle of the road in front of their pasture and stare. Some take pictures, some holler at us "WHAT ARE THOSE???" if they see my husband or I out working with them. It's a fun social experiment for sure! I almost made a sign that said "Safety Yak says 'Keep your eyes on the road!'" but didn't think everyone would get it...

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tibetan Yaks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page