Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 anyone do any historical reenacting ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic anyone do any historical reenacting ? Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  04:00:51 AM  Show Profile
ever since we went to the Civil War reenactment it's been buzzing about in my brain that I would like to try this and then I found websites of WWII re-enactors doing impressions of WAC, WAVE, etc. maybe cuz I'm studying History for my degree or what but I think it looks like a fun, cool thing to do. not sure how it would go over with my DH but just wondered if anyone else has that interest

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  04:32:13 AM  Show Profile
We do reenactment of a sort - not military. We work with a group that puts on a farm show, ice harvest, etc. depicting what farm and country life was back at the turn of the century. We wear period costumes as much as possible and try to stay "in character" as we talk to visitors. We really enjoy it. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era (or may reincarnated???)!!!!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile
We do reenactments of Pre-1840 Mountain Man Rendezvous. It's a lot of fun and is a great place to take our kids. My husband has a serious canvas addition. We have a tepee, baker wall tent, one-pull tent and a large and small dining fly. I have also worked at the Fort Bridger State Historic Site where we did third person living history for the Military period from 1860 to 1890. That was the funnest job I have ever had.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  12:38:55 PM  Show Profile
I used to be a Civil War Reenactor. It's an incredibly rewarding hobby, and if you thought you had fun as a spectator, I can tell you the REAL fun for the reenactors is behind the scenes! My best memories of those years were all around a campfire with the boys until the wee hours!

If you'd like to get started the first thing you would need to do is figure out what kind of impression you would be interested in doing. As a woman you have a lot of authentic possibilities-- even more choices than a man really.
The basic roles for a woman of moral standing would be:
1.)Camp follower- this is usually a wife or close female relative of a soldier who follows the army and camps over the hill from the military camp in kind of a "tent city" to provide support for the soldiers. Perhaps your home was destroyed in the war, or you didn't have much home to speak of before the war. This role involves keeping a period household... in a wall tent! This impression is good for Union or Confederacy.

2.)Laundress- This is a woman employed by the commanding officer of the unit. She is paid to wash uniforms, socks and underwear of the men. Her morals are less "in question" if she is a daughter or wife of a soldier, or an older woman. If she is the only woman attached to a company or small group--especially one from the frontier, she often does more than just wash clothes. She frequently cooks and fills a motherly role (or sisterly, again depending on age). Good for both sides.

3.)Sutler- This is a woman who is a self employed merchant who specializes in goods for the soldiers to buy with their pay. Cards, dice, luxury foods, hygiene items, magazines, books, suspenders, socks and shirts were all in high demand-- fresh eggs (from chickens) were a special luxury, selling for 75 cents APIECE during the height of the food shortages. Selling baths is also popular, at 50 cents for the first person in the set of bath water, with a sliding scale down to the third person to use the tub!
This role is neutral (if you're a good business woman!) but most people have a favorite side and a "different" price list.

4.)Activist- Either with the Sanitation Commission (The Red Cross) teaching hygiene to the soldiers, or a War Protestor!! Quakers were known for laying in front of the path of battalions to protest the violence.

5.)Vivandierre- this is an openly female "soldier" with a modified official military uniform (with a knee length wool skirt OVER wool trousers) who marches with the boys and shoots at the enemy and acts as kind of a "den mother"/field nurse. Historically they were attached to state militia groups only. Some regional clubs may be stricter than others and may not allow anyone to play the part unless you are a member of a unit that specifically had documented vivandierres and does not already have the documented quota.

6.)Soldier disguised as a man- A lot of women got away with this. Either because they felt so strongly for the cause, to protect a male relative by either going with him or taking his place in the draft, or for the pay if they were very poor. Modesty was normal, so it's quite likely you could manage to get through an entire military career without being discovered if you were careful and had a boyish figure. There are documented cased of women who were discovered, and a few testimonies of women who claim they served and were never discovered. It is estimated that many many more women served and never made themselves known, even after the war was over.

7.)Nurse- This is a mid to late war impression and depends on what year(s) your club portrays. Women did not serve as nurses in the early war because it was considered too violent and disturbing a job for a woman to perform. It was not until there was a shortage of men to serve as nurses that it was allowed. Today nursing remains a female dominant profession as a remnant from this time period.

The next step is to read and research as many documents as you can find that pertain to the time period and about the type of woman you want to portray. Some people base their persona on their own personality and re-write their beliefs and background based on how they imagine their life would have been in that time period, and some base it on family history, or a character from fiction or history they want to emulate.
When you have an idea of your character, you need to research what that person would have worn, and what possessions they might have had before you go shopping for your wardrobe and props.

After you know what you want to do, attend an event or two within comfortable driving distances and scope out people who are doing the kids of thing that interests you and talk to them when there are no tourists around. A good living historian won't talk about anything out of character in front of the public. Your best bet is to watch the event all day, and then approach people as the event is closing to the public.

Start up cost for your "kit" can be daunting. It really depends what role you want to portray but the person you approach to be recruited will be able to provide guidance on what exactly you will need at minimum to start.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  12:49:37 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention... an impression that isn't done nearly often enough is a woman of "immoral standing"! Prostitution was huge and I secretly always thought it would be pretty darn fun to portray a madam and channel "Dora" from Cannery Row in another time, and there are always women of the theater.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile
I used to act in the California and Washington ren fairs and did a bit of Victorian re-enacting as well. I love it and would love to get back into it! I am interested in any of it that is Victorian era and older. Lots and lots of fun!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  4:55:30 PM  Show Profile
I have never done reenactments, but ever since I saw my first Chautauqua 7 or 8 years ago, I have wanted to participate in them.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  7:32:18 PM  Show Profile
If you're interested, study study ladies! Now you've gone and put the bee in my bonnet.. can't wait to get started again when I head out to Missouri! I used to live in Northern Nevada and drive 12 hours + to attend reenactments in Oregon. It'll be so nice to live in a state that had the most battles and both Union and Confederate Missouri regiments.

All of a sudden I want to be an ultra-religious immigrant Madam. That would be such a complex character! Perhaps german or russian! I'm wearing the hugest grin thinking of all the proper ladies it would tick off! BWAHAHA

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile
Jen, thanks for all the great information. I am going to start researaching and picking my impression it just sounds like fun. does anyone know anyone who does women's impressions from WWII ?
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  12:24:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm familiar, but never met or participated in a WW2 event. Like I briefly mentioned I traveled REALLY far to participate and that was a small club compared to what I'm sure anyone east of New Mexico is used to. The more plugged in people you meet the more contacts will become available to you.

How are you leaning for ideas on your Civil war character?

This is a fantastic civil war store (Online Sutler)It should give you a good idea of what you would need to buy. http://www.blockaderunner.com/
I also recommend the book "Who Wore What"-- It's a collection of period photographs and the subject if the book is learning how women of different demographics actually dressed. It's of vital importance to your impression to dress age and class appropriate. and to avoid the "ubiquitous, iniquitous white blouse." That is to say not fall into the trap of wearing white shirts (out in public?? for all the world to see??) with an assortment of calico skirts. A white blouse on display would be about as shocking as a young lady today wearing a bra as a shirt.

For local information you might try calling the Ohio historical society (http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/index.shtml) If they didn't know the reenacting groups in the area, they wouldn't be doing their jobs very well!

If you're handy with a sewing machine, you can save a bit of money on your kit by making many of your own dresses and undergarments, but some necessities like a well made corset, a set of hoops, and a good pair of period boots will take you far. There is no substitute or "bargain" for those 3 items.

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  03:47:21 AM  Show Profile
It will take some time and effort but I have considered a shop of sorts, I do sew and have civil war historical patterns so not only could i make my own outfit but things to sell. I work at the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland Ohio so I have people I could ask for advice and we have a huge clothing/costume collection. I found a great book on accurate civil war clothing and then could see how not accurate many women dressed a the reenactment I went to. the book was really interesting.
But I am feeling the pull to do the WWII also , so who knows I am appreciative of any and all help, advice and opinions
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
On a business perspective, it's so difficult to compete with the ebay market for costumes that I decided to not even try, I only sew(ed) for myself and immediate family. I can't even buy enough quality material to make a dress for a price I can break even with at those prices.

The best way to do a store is to market either essentials people don't realize they need until they get to the event, or something so special it's not commonly found on the internet.
For men: button suspenders, shirts, wool socks. We've sold the canvas suspenders, as well as elastic suspenders. Canvas are "right", but they because they don't have any give they break or tear the buttons off of pants frequently. Elastic suspenders were very appreciated items that were "behind the scenes" favorites.
For women: We've done custom glass bead earrings and bonnets before. The bonnets were a bigger investment and harder to sell but we only had to sell 2-4 per event. I've made "chatelaine" pins (its an ornate pin that is worn on a belt with chains hanging off of it to hold keys, money bag, perfume bottle etc.) and made a killing until every well monied woman in the club bought one.

The best path (in my opinion) for a start up store would be to pick estate sales and thrift stores looking for chairs, tables, boxes, stools, honey pots, mason jars and beer bottles with the bales on them, plates, forks-anything that happens to be period correct. Items like that from those sources are a small investment, and you don't have to have high prices to make a solid return. (And modest prices in that setting = volume) That gives you a reliable product and traffic, and you can use your vendor space to sell any other random thing you decide to make.

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  11:35:33 AM  Show Profile
I am not a reanactor, but I make all their clothing... I am employed by a high end store in Gettysburg and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I also know several WW2 reanactors. If you are looking for good information I alway recommend the Elizabeth Stewart Clark forums. The ladies there are full of knowledge and are capable of answering most questions.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  6:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, Elizabeth Stewart Clark..... I used to go there 15 years ago, kinda surprised it's still up and running!

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  11:33:53 AM  Show Profile
thanks for all the great tips!
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  1:57:42 PM  Show Profile
My husband and a friend he deployed with do WWII ones. The only bad thing for us is right now we live in IL and they live in NC, so getting together doesn't happen. But it is a really neat thing. I think the Civil War ones would be fun because we can do it as a family, not so much the WWII ones.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  5:12:17 PM  Show Profile
i may just start by sewing civil war costumes for my daughter and I, my work sponsors a reenactment every August and we can always go dressed in period dress and start that way. The women's roles in WWII really intrigue me but I have not found anything close to me
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic anyone do any historical reenacting ? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page