Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Too much of a good thing Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  1:02:42 PM  Show Profile
Like a lot of you, I use homemade laundry soap, made from grated Fels Naptha, borax and washing soda. I try to remember to use only 1/4 cup for a large load, and usually I shake it up in a quart jar that I fill with water form the filling washing machine, then dump that in before adding clothing, towels or whatever.

I've been using felted wool dryer balls instead of a vinegar rinse because our washer doesn't have a water softener cup and it's a pain to catch the rinse cycle in time to add vinegar by hand. Maybe that's the reason, but lately, I have the feeling there's soap residue on everything.

So here's your multiple choice question. Which is the moral of this story?

a) Use even less soap than 1/4 cup (2T for smaller-sized tubs);

b) Woman up and time your life around rinse cycles so can get some vinegar in there to be sure the rinse cycle gets all the soap out;

c) Go back to using store-bought laundry soap;

d) Use something else once in a while, just as hair stylists suggest you do when washing you hair, to counteract product buildup;

e) Get a maid and let HER worry about it.

I'm fond of "e" above, but too bad :)

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  2:09:49 PM  Show Profile
I would have said "e" also.

Seriously, I don't have the answer. I was using a homemade laundry soap for awhile (borax, washing soda, and grated Kirks castile soap). I didn't know about adding vinegar for a rinse, and I switched back to regular laundry soap in part because there always seemed to be a fine white streaky residue getting left behind--like what you might see on glasses after going through the dishwasher. Is this the same kind of residue you're talking about? I was only using 1T for small loads, so cutting back on soap may not be the answer.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  7:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Amie, what's going on with my laundry is more soemthing you feel than see (although I have to admit my whites aren't as white (gasp!) as they used to be when I was adding store-brand OxyClean or hanging laundry outside, but that's another multiple choice question entirely). The fabric feels almost gummy. That's an exaggeration, but not much of one.

Maybe our water is too hard for this kind of soap. Kirk's Castile is no doubt better for this purpose than Fels Naptha. Fels, however is miraculous at getting out stains, when rubbed on the wet stain a couple of times before washing. Unfortunately, I'm committed to however many years of grating Fels you get out of a carton of the stuff

Your manners will define you wherever you go. Never forget it.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  7:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mara- you can use a Downy Ball to put vinegar in the rinse water and you may be using too much. I would recommend washing with a natural laundry detergent just for a little while to get the residue out and then trying again with a smaller amount. Also if you have hard water it might be mineral buildup and you should be adding some baking soda in as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile
I use Charlie's Soap because I haven't gotten around to making my own yet (so much I want to do so little time to do it all). It was the recommended soap for cloth diapers and I liked it so much I switched to it for everything. You use a tiny amount (it comes with a little baby scoop) and it ends up being pennies per load. It's an actual soap not a detergent. I have never noticed any scummy stuff or streaks or anything while using it but I've gotten to the point that I just throw laundry in and let it rip, not as picky as I used to be! Probably not the option you want because you're already making your own but maybe it might be a back up plan.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  2:17:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lieberkim

I use Charlie's Soap...

Thanks! (I loved your "let 'er rip" comment!) What is Charlie's Soap and where does one find it?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  2:18:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Mara- you can use a Downy Ball to put vinegar in the rinse water

Hey, now there's an idea! I wonder if I can get one without the Downy in it. Hmm. Also the baking soda tip -- actually, I often throw some in, just for freshening, but it should probably be a regular part of my recipe. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Ask on Freecycle for a downy ball, is what I would do.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  9:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can usually just buy a plain downy ball in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart for about $3

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  9:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Charlies Soap is found online. charliesoap.com

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  9:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I got my downy ball at the grocery store for less than $3. I got it just for the vinegar. It works great and I only use 2 tbs. per load

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  11:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the where-to-buy advice, ladies. I'll act on that news this weekend.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  04:52:52 AM  Show Profile
I just use borax and baking soda in my wash. I don't like the build in the pipes from the soaps. Neither does our septic man. ;) They are really just detergents and actually just as harsh on the clothing. My clothes get clean and smell great. use a vinegar rinse occasionally which helps in the dryer to soften and deter static. Also, I do use oxy clean at times to get my whites whiter. Baking soda will whiten but I like to have the boost on the extra grimy socks sometimes.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile
I have very hard water here in West Texas. The baking soda in the detergent and vinegar rinse are the key to dealing with hard water. My "no measure" recipe: one box (55 oz) washing soda; one box (78 oz) borax, 2 pounds of baking soda, 24 ounces of grated Fels Naptha. No residue - just clean clothes. Also, wool dryer balls.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  1:56:13 PM  Show Profile
I forgot - I have a front loader. Grate the soap finely - not large shreds. One tablespoon for light loads, two tablespoons for extra dirty/large loads. Never more than that.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SusanScarlet

I forgot - I have a front loader. Grate the soap finely - not large shreds. One tablespoon for light loads, two tablespoons for extra dirty/large loads. Never more than that.

Thanks, Susan. I do think I've just been using too much. The problem with Fels Naptha is that it really doesn't lend itself to fine grating because it's kind of oily, not super dry. I guess that's why people melt it on the stove to make a lumpy liquid out of it. I might try it that way in a small batch.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary
When I 1st started using this soap, I remember some streaks on my darks. I have since switched to the Zote soap, & also wiz the whole batch in my food processer (it takes a few times) to make it very fine. I haven't had any streaks since. & my clothes also feel very soft, even when hanging outside.
I, too, use baking soda in the batch, & most times, vinegar in the rinse.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  6:32:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband grates it on the fine side of a box grater. We've also grated it in the food processor before -- it worked great. Just be sure to clean it REALLY WELL. Try the baking soda addition to your recipe and also the vinegar rinse. We love the homemade detergent.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile
I found using Borax leaves a build up on my clothes even if I do a rinse with vinegar. I cut back on the borax in my laundry soap by half and it helped quite a bit but next time I make it I'm going to go half of that to get rid of that build up feeling on my clothes. It makes me itchy and feels dirty even though I know my clothes are clean. My husband feels the same way.

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies :) I never thought that I might have too much Borax in the mix. I'll try cutting back. I'm using Kirk's Castile as a trial instead of the Fels Naptha, and have made sure there's baking soda in there. Plus, got myself a couple of empty Downey balls for white vinegar. (Still using felted wool balls in the dryer.) So far, the difference has been amazing.

Sheesh. What am I going to do with nearly a case of Fels Naptha bars?!?

ps: After grating the castile soap, I pulsed it in the blender to make it more granular. Worked fine. COuldn't do that with Fels Naptha -- turns into a gummy mess.

Edited by - Rosemary on Nov 01 2011 09:00:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Too much of a good thing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page