queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  5:24:58 PM  Show Profile
My house is on 20x24. My kitchen is very small with limited counter space. When my hubby and I were finishing the kitchen area, I kept the cut out from the counter top where the sink was placed. I use the cut out to make my counter top "bigger". I store it in that space between my lower cabinets and the stove. Anytime I bake, I pull it out and place it over my sink. It also is handy if you are having a buffet style get together. So, if you have limited counter space and know of someone remodeling their kitchen, have them save the cut out from the sink area. It does come in very handy for a small kitchen.

Lorie

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  6:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, what a clever idea!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  12:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, I would love to see pictures of your house. We are wanting to build a house of similar size, but it is hard to picture how so small would work. Do you have other clever ideas for storage and living small? Cathy

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Cathy,

For me 20x24 is not big enough. Not that I want to live in a mansion. We lack closet and storage space and our bathroom (which we had to gut completely and re-model) is barely big enough for a sink, flush and shower. We could not expand the size of it either. I would recommend maybe doing a 25x35 if you want a small house. One of the things that I love about older (pre 1900) houses is china cabinets, closets and even bureaus that are built into the walls. To me, it adds charm that you don't find in modern houses and saves on floor space. The problem is you are stuck with them once their in. There is no re-arranging furniture. If I had to remodel the house (tear out walls stair way, etc) I would have the living room or kitchen (either one would work) smack dab in the middle of the house (sounds weird I know). Then place the bathroom, living room (or kitchen) and stair well and either a study or guest room around the central area. Have your bedroom upstairs. As far as living small, get rid of the junk. If you haven't used it in the past 6 mos and don't anticipating using it in the next year, then chances are you don't need it. The other thing about small houses, 3 or 4 things out of place makes it look cluttered when it really isn't. I'm not a neat freak by any means. I'm not a slob either. A home is made to be lived in (yes you can wear shoes in my house and I won't get mad) and the best piece of advice I can give, when you visit people, visit them, not the house.

Lorie
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  09:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lori, I have been trying to get rid of stuff and it is freeing once I get into it. It is just my husband and me at home now and we use just a portion of our house. I think I would really like to try a very small house. Thanks again for the info. Cathy

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  09:15:29 AM  Show Profile
good luck on down sizing. One of the things I heard on the Nate Berkus show was to go verical in small spaces. I just think it makes it too closed in.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  6:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow. I'd love to see pictures! I see the displays at IKEA, and I think those small spaces are so functional! If you live in a climate where you can be outside a lot, I think I could do it.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Make your counter top "bigger" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page