J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  11:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Just feeling so sad... we know we live longer than our pets, but when they stay a long time, it's easy to ignore.
Our old girl, Aggie Katz ( my daughter was 9, and clever when she named her) is dying. She's almost 20, and it's her time, but it is so hard to see her go!
She was the cutest little scruffy black kitten in the world,and she grew up so sleek and pretty.
My eldest daughter has always been her 'person'- they slept together, cuddled, Aggie 'talked' to her when she came in late. When DD moved into her own apartment last year, Aggie moved with her.Tuesday, she told us that Aggie was not well. A recent vet visit showed a kidney and thyroid problem.She's very thin, barely moving around, but still eating, drinking and using her cat pan. She'll probably have a few more days, maybe even short weeks, but we know we are losing her, and it is so hard- hardest for my daughter, who has had this furry best friend from childhood through adolescence, college, grad school, all kinds of experiences... Somebody ought to breed cats and dogs who live as long as parrots!

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  01:14:45 AM  Show Profile
WOW! 20 years is a long life for a cat, but never long enough when a well loved animal. I feel your pain and hope your daughter is okay. Last year I lost a horse I'd had 18 years, I still grieve her and cry any time I mention her. It's amazing how they become our greatest friends and how agonizing it is to lose them.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  05:48:18 AM  Show Profile
Awww. Hugs to you & your daughter! My first cat was like that too. He was a stray & we adopted him. He was such a smart kitty - he'd look both ways before crossing the street & wait if there was a vehicle, even if it was 3 blocks away (the width of town). He always slept on me, especially in winter. I wasn't there when he died, but it was still so sad & so hard :(. Hugs again!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  05:54:55 AM  Show Profile
:( :( :(

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  05:59:34 AM  Show Profile
sending hugs your way. it is hard to say good bye. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  06:24:14 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry. We went through a similar time with my 'baby' a little over a year ago. Molly cat was 18 and had a stroke...it was so hard. My heart aches for you and your daughter. My oldest son had the same relationship with Molly that you daughter has with your cat. {{hugs}} to all of you.

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  08:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Jamie:
Thanks for sharing Aggie's story. In January, my 20 year old cat, Zoe, passed away. I knew she didn't have much time left, and she also knew. Nine months later, I only have fond memories of the joy and love she gave to us. I still miss her very much. Often, at night, I feel her jump up on the bed next to me. What a comfort. You and your daughter and Aggie will be in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  08:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh I'm so sorry! I had a lovely cat Myst who live to be 19 and it was so hard to lose her summer before last. I still miss her lots
I know how hard it is to watch them fade away like this *hugs*

I wish they'd breed them to last longer too
Hugs to your family and to Aggie

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  09:17:52 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Jamie - I know the pain and sadness of losing a four legged furry family member that you always thought would grace your world. One the pain eases you will be able to remember all the wonderful days, months, years you shared and you will celebrate those times with love and smiles. For now I am sending you Love, Light and Hugs.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, I'm so sorry to hear about your old girl. Her drifting away is difficult, but it gives you time to prepare and make those last few days really good ones full of love for her.

Hugs to you and your daughter...and some really nice scritchn's for Aggie.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much! I am a bit astonished to say she is still with us! My daughter went home from work at lunch the other day, and things looked bad. She said Aggie was breathing shallowly, eyes almost shut and rolled back. DD said she went hysterical, bent over the cat, and ' MMMMEEEEEEEOOOOWWW!" she sat up and started yelling at DD. Since, her eating and drinking have picked up a little, she's resumed eating the senior food she'd been liking before the vet visit, and while I cautioned her, my son, and myself that she's still probably close to the end, she's clearly not going to let go without a fight. Still seems at peace, comfy, and wow, she's loud for a little tiny thing!
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, I know she'll break our hearts sooner or later!
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  9:54:35 PM  Show Profile
What a roller coaster! She's definitely 'going'... but at her own pace. Tuesday morning my daughter was a wreck- she had not had any sleep, the cat cried out off and on all night, and wouldn't get out of the tub, which is her new spot. My DD slept in the hall to be near her. I skipped work, went right over, and yes, that was a dying cat. DD had made a vet appointment, but I called and asked for pain medication to give at home instead.
Well, I stroked and held her most of the day, and DD got some sleep and we both cried a lot. In the afternoon, Aggie was asleep, and DD and I went out to the living room to eat something. Aggie woke up, jumped out of the tub, screamed at us to come back, then walked around the apartment and out to the balcony. Then she came back in, got on the windowsill, and really told us off for leaving her.
She seems to be abpout the same today, and we just figure she'll take her own path to the end. She really seems less pained than peeved, she's drinking plenty of water (though she prefers a glass to a bowl), and eating a tiny bit, if it's lightly poached chicken. She can't weigh more than a couple of pounds, but she's getting around just fine when she wants. I think she's going to just keep on keeping on as long as her tiny body and huge spirit will allow.It's so good to know we have your thoughts and prayers, and there are other wacky cat (and dog) ladies out there.Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  07:26:29 AM  Show Profile
I am greived to hear about Aggie Katz, they leave paw prints on your heart for the rest of your life. I hope you do not take this wrong, your daughter needs to hold Aggie and tell her how much she loves her, and that it is okay to go on. I think sometimes pets know it is their time, but their owners are not ready, so the sweet pet hangs on trying to help their loved one let go. My sweet Butchie cat was that way, I know now that he was ready to go for about a week, before I was ready to let go, finally I sat down and held him close and told he how much I loved him and would miss his gravel purrs. He passed over that night. Tweleve years ago and I sill miss him.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  7:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, my dear, sending you a big virtual hug. We just lost our pet kitty, Angel, this past July on the day before my daughter's ninth birthday. She was twenty. The house isn't the same, and we miss her. Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  4:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much, again. We lost her, finally, and as with most cats, she finally slipped away when she was alone for a little but. Years ago when her brother left us, I stayed on the floor next to him all night, and he slipped away when I dozed off for two minutes. We all miss her painfully, but I keep reminding my daughter, son, and myself that she was a rare cat, and really lucky to have so much love that we kept her anchored this long. My daughter said even the last night she was alive she was walking around a little, leaning on my DD's hand and purring. Rest in peace, Agate. Thank you sisters.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, So sorry to hear about Aggie's passing. What a consolation to know that she was at peace and content until her very final minutes.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  3:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, I share your tears as we just this last Thursday lost our dog Hobbs. It's sounds like Agate had an extraordinary life and gave you all much love and memories. We shall share this journey of grief together for our lost loves.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  6:28:42 PM  Show Profile
So sorry Audrey! They are such dear companions! Hugs!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:23:29 AM  Show Profile
jamie..such a wonderful girl...your family is also wrapped in my hugs today. my Ernie (ernestine!) was 18 1/2 when i lost her- my first "adult" loss...and it never gets easier. bless you.....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Losing our old cat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page