Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 What do you do for gift giving at Christmas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic What do you do for gift giving at Christmas? Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  3:13:42 PM  Show Profile
My parents are in their mid seventies and my brothers and I are in
or near fifty with grown children and grand kids of their own. My parents have been tossing around the idea of doing something different for our get together as they're on a fixed income and I think it would be a relief for them and my brothers and their family if we downsize who we buy for and what we spend.

That said, my parents will still buy for the great grand kids but are thinking of doing a gift exchange for everyone else with a cap on what is spent. We also want to add an element of fun, too!

Any ideas ladies?

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Since I am on disability, I can't spend a lot, so I make gift baskets. With home made everything that I can make. The baskets don't have to be huge, and nice gift bags, either of cloth or paper, will work just as well.

Happy Autumn!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  4:25:41 PM  Show Profile
We get together with my son-in-laws family and we have a exchange like a white elephant. We all bring something $10-$15 that would work with man or woman. So we get two gifts to give, husband and myself. We all have a good time, and the way it's done Is the gifts are all in the center of the room. You put the numbers of how many are playing in a bowl. As the bowl goes around, you pull out one of the numbers. Than you go in order as to who starts. The thing is, you pick a gift, the next person can take yours or pick a new one. But, a gift can only be taken away from someone 3 times. And then the gift is frozen and can't be taken away again. So what you start with, will more than likely not be what you end up with. It brings on alot of laughter throughout the game. Everyone has fun and the cost is just right. If anyone tries this out this year, I'd love to hear your stories. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  4:39:09 PM  Show Profile
We have been successful with cutting down on the gift giving with my DH's family. Even though the adults drew names, the limit kept getting higher and higher. We decided to draw names - then we donate money to a charitable organization of their choice. We still buy something for them to open at our gathering - but the limit is $5.00 - and most of us request something consumable (food, tea, coffee, candle, stationery, soap, etc). The kids have gotten into the spirit too - they receive much less and combine their money for a donation. It works out well.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  4:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Thats what my son and his family did last year. They picked 2 of the children that was on the tree at city hall and their wish list. My grandchildren was all for it. And the experience they had when taking the gifts to them was remarkable.

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile
This year we are trying to do the same thing. All are giving to the kids, but the adults all drew names. Our caviat was that whatever you give must be home made, to throw in a bit of fun

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  5:34:46 PM  Show Profile
I make everything. I give my family what I sell to my customers. If I don't, my relatives revolt! Years ago, after many years of giving my soaps and herbals, I decided to buy presents for everyone. I was bored of giving my products because there's not a lot of thought involved for me and I don't get to go to the stores. So, when everyone opened their gifts that year, I heard a lot of "hey! Where's my soap, lip balm (etc)." I went back to giving my products and everyone's been happy. The exceptions are for my little niece and nephews. But they still get a lip balm, "smelly baby" or something like that. When my 12 year old nephew was much younger, I made him and his little sister a lavender bag in the shape of a gingerbread cookie. He dubbed his "smelly baby" and the name stuck. He still has it!

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  10:41:45 AM  Show Profile
We are doing Make, Bake or Retake(regift) this year. Everyone seems excited about it. My mom is going to use it for an opportunity to regift some of her things to the child she wants to have it. It should be fun.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile
I am not giving OR getting anything again this year. Brother lives in Thailand and he's my only family left. I might make something for myself lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Cathy - I love the Make, Bake or Retake idea. Sounds like fun!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  7:36:40 PM  Show Profile
This is the last year that our family is doin a gift exchange by drawin names type thing. Startin next year we are doin 'useful baskets'.

Each family will bring in a laundry basket with their name on it for fillin. Each family will bring in something useful to put in them, one for each family. The ideas for fillin was bottles of bleach, paper towels, dish rags, bath towels, hot pads, dish soap, whatever you can find that is on sale and real cheap durin the year that would be useful.

For the young children there is a $5 limit for each child. Each family will buy one small gift for each of them. The ideas for that was a baseball, a jumprope, a box of crayons, a pad of paper, a book, a toy car, those type of items.

This way, each family is only out a few bucks a month and everyone goes home with something that will be truly enjoyed and used instead of thrown in a closet and forgotten.

The items could also be made so long as they follow the useful rule for the adults and the single small item rule for the children.

It has been accepted by the whole family and is the first idea in years that is being truly approved by everyone.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Angela that is a wonderful idea, I'll have to share that with others.

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  8:00:20 PM  Show Profile
One year all our extended family decided that we all had everything we needed and so instead of drawing names and giving gifts to the extended family we made a donation as a family (everyone gave how much they wanted) and gave to those with need. In our case we chose Heifer. It's an organization that gives livestock and the training needed to care for the livestock to those in need and then those people give to others once their animals produce young, and it keeps on going and going. I liked this idea.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  08:48:59 AM  Show Profile
I've noticed that all families are different, and what works for one, may not work for another. One side of the family, we buy for the children and maybe a plate of home-baked goodies for each aunt, uncle or cousin. Another side of the family has the adult cousins picking names with a price limit. (they are a close family, cousins are like brother - sister)
Another side of the family, no matter how financially difficult it may be, they insist on buying (for appearance sake?). I've tried the route of, "You bought for me when I was growing up, now's my chance to spend some (!) money on you." (since they are on a fixed income now.)
Even in my own family and in-laws, it depends on each individual situation.
Now I know why I don't really enjoy the holidays. ---Lisa
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  11:45:31 AM  Show Profile
My side of the family draws names, and when I asked for us not to do that, they all complained. On dh's side, everyone bought for everyone and every kid. We stopped doing that a long time ago. I do a "family" gift and it's homemade. Cookies/candies (homemade) for the kids. As for my family this year, I may introduce the idea of the "useful basket" idea.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  06:36:21 AM  Show Profile
This year is our first Christmas as empty nesters. My kids are in the military and cannot have much "stuff" so I am making everyone pillow cases and that's about it. We are very blessed, and have no real needs. The money hubby and I would spend on each other we are putting toward a big camping trip in the spring. I make doll clothes throough out the year and give them away to our Community Christmas tree.
I have two friends I exchange gifts with, we have a five dollar limit, and since we all shop at thrift stores and garage sells, we wind up with some very cool gifts.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  06:43:42 AM  Show Profile
My husband has a large family, and for Christmas, they do a gift exchange (limit $25.00) and then they put numbers on the packages, then a person draws a number to pick said package. If you are the first, or early in the drawing of gifts, the next person who draws can actually "take" your gift if they like it better. The odds are, if you are the last person to draw, then you may pick whatever gift you want from a person, so you could end up with the most awesome of the lot.

For our immediate family, we have a gift exchange (we draw names at Thanksgiving) with a $40.00 limit. Use to be $25.00, by sil didn't like what she was getting and found it difficult to buy something "nice" for $25.00 (which I still think is silly--especially when she shops at places like Pottery Barn--no WONDER!?) For the last few years with this gift exchange, I've simply told my husband to tell whoever gets my name that I want the $$ given to my charity of choice--I provide the addresses. Last year, the recipients were an equine foundation here, locally, that helps troubled boys and a little animal shelter in West Virginia run by two elderly women out of a formerl coal company store, that work on nothing but donations, but save the lives of many dogs, who would otherwise be killed.

Since I have a MUCH smaller family--mom, Aunt in Rockford, my husband and my wee girl, we give gifts. No cap, really, but I try to be creative in my spending. This year, my mom has asked to have her antique rocking chair reupholstered, so that's my gift to her (and I'll get something else!)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  08:59:40 AM  Show Profile
I like the drawing numbers or names idea! Otherwise I am making homemade gifts this year. I'm getting together baskets from the thrift store and putting some homemade goodies in them like cookies,gifts in a jar, little jars of homemade jams/jellies, crochet/knit items, or homemade candles made out of re purposed tea cups,a packet of coffee or tea with a homemade chocolate stirring spoon,little things like that :) It seems to mean more when it's homemade despite how much cheaper it is to do homemade gifts they really do come from the heart!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic What do you do for gift giving at Christmas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page