Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 spining wool without spinning wheel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic spining wool without spinning wheel Next Topic  

dmorn
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Debbie
Middle River Minnesota
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know how to spin wool if you do not have a spinning wheel.
I have my own sheep and would like to spin wool and knit something from the fleece. I know there is a way to spin if you don't have a spinning wheel with a spindle or something. And does anyone know how to make the spindle that you use.

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  8:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie, it is called a drop spindle. You can find instructions on the internet to make them. They are not hard to make, but does take a little practic to get the hang of it. Let us know what you find.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  08:01:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie - if you do not find or wish to make your own I would be willing to send you one of my beginner spindles if you would pay the postage... I will also include my instruction on who to sping - I have been teaching drop spinnning for 14 years now and never had a student who did not get the hang of it with my way of spinning. Let me know if you are interested...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Grace,

Please send more information. I have a drop spindle and CANNOT get the hang of it. Do you sell instructions? (With lots and lots of pics?)

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

Ohioann
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Ann
Minerva OH
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Drop Spindles are fun and a very portable way to spin. When I first started I was very frustrated and someone told me that the fiber prep is so important. Make sure the fiber you are going to spindle is well combed/carded and a fairly long staple when you are first starting. I have found that I can spin wool on my wheel that give me fits on the spindle. My more experienced spindling friends seem to be able to spin almost everythin so maybe its just me!! Have fun but be warned - fiber is so addictive. /Spinner for 15+ years.

Farmgirl 3129 Retired and busier than ever in East Central Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Je Tricoter
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Judith
Janesville WI
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Hand spindles can be expensive or you can make one yourself. There are plenty of ways to make them cheaply on the internet that can be found with a simple Google search. I often show school children how to make a spindle from a simple pencil that has a tiny-cup hook in the eraser end and a cardboard whorl (round part). It works! The whole key to good spinning is to get the right feel for the type of fiber you are using so your drafting becomes even and consistent. Merino or blue-faced leister (sheep) wool is good for a beginner but avoid the more slippery fibers like alpaca or camel. Good spinning is often something that just comes from practice until you reach that "ah-ha!" moment. I demonstrate/teach and always recommend learning to draft on the hand spindle first. You might also check in your area for a fiber arts gathering, guild, or even a farm where you might get some one-on-one help if YouTube and other sites aren't enough. Happy spinning!!!
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie,
I started to teach myself how to spin on a drop spindle. I am still learning and getting better the more practice I do. There is a website where I have ordered my drop spindles from, www.thewoolery.com, and they are out of Frankfort, KY. Somewhere along the way I purchased a drop spindle video that helped the light bulb go on regarding a few things I was having problems with. Here in Ohio there is a fiber festival held once a year and the Spinning and Weaver's Guild from Central Ohio handed out free drop spindles made from a hook, dowel rod, and used CD. I agree they aren't that hard to make. I actually made one from a metal coat hanger with a wooden airplane wheel glued to the bottom and a I bent one end to form a shepard's crook (hook). I agree that fiber preparation is essential. Someone once told me that if you can master the drop spindle than spinning on a wheel is much easier. Not sure on that one yet as I haven't bought my first wheel yet. But have fun while learning to drop spin and think of all the neat things you can make once you do learn. I agree with Ann (Farmgirl3129) that drop spindles are very portable, fun, and very addicting as I am finding out. Learned to scour and combed fiber earlier this year and I am addicted. Can't wait to get my first wheel.
Go to Top of Page

Je Tricoter
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Judith
Janesville WI
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  2:16:14 PM  Show Profile
I have an Ashford Traditional - my work horse - wheel purchased from Australia in '79, a charka purchased from the Gandhi Institute some years ago, and I have "rescued" 3 others from consignment shops. Spinning wheels simply make the process of spinning go faster and make "production knitting" a joy. Before ever buying a wheel, make sure you research them, their parts, and then actually sit down and test the one you're interested in acquiring. Each has a different "feel" and they can be a major investment. While usually less expensive, antique wheels can be very tempermental and/or sometimes have missing parts but it truly is a shame to see so many just being used as household decorations. Also...watch out! Just like hand spindles, once you have a spinning wheel and can appreciate not just the capabilities but the artistry in their beauty, you'll want more than one
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic spining wool without spinning wheel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page