Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Ideas for replacing cabinet doors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Ideas for replacing cabinet doors Next Topic  

Pedro
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Diana
Bremen Ohio
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  06:20:14 AM  Show Profile
My daughter is moving into a rental, where the prior occupants ripped the cabinet doors off the the bathroom and dining room cabinets. We want to make the home as nice as possible for her and her children. But need a creative, thrifty and inexpensive solution. Any ideas??

Di@ShadyPines

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  07:50:16 AM  Show Profile
How about a type of curtain? Small rods can be purchased and a curtain made to fit. There use to be spring rods rally made from a spring very small and would just screw in the wood at either side you could put 2on one on top one on bottom this makes it hard to get into so I suggest 1 on top.
Good luck.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  1:30:32 PM  Show Profile
I really like the curtain idea. But another thought is that if it is still possible to attach hinge hardware, you might be able to find recycled cabinet doors at a second-use store. Another possibility is to find some recycled wood panels and make your own doors. I did the latter at one of our rental units a few years ago after the tenants trashed the house and we couldn't find ready-made doors that fit. The family that was moving in had young kids so the curtain trick wasn't a safe choice for us.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Pedro
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Diana
Bremen Ohio
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  06:26:14 AM  Show Profile
I like Diana's idea. But Marilyn is right about young children in the house. We will have to to start keeping an eye out for possible materials. Ladies, thanks for the suggestions. Have a Blessed Sunday!

Di@ShadyPines
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  07:59:06 AM  Show Profile
I took 1/2 inch plywood, turned the table saw blade to cut on an angle, measured it out so the door was large enough to put on cheap cabinet hinges the old fashioned ones. Cut the plywood to fit with the angle facing out and the narrow part of the door covering the cabinet. Sanded and painted and did not even need handles because the edge of the bevel made the entire face of the door a handle. If there are kids one could use very positive closures. Redid several kitchen cabinets with those doors using half sheets of plywood from Home Depot fairly cheap.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  5:22:30 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if you could find picture frames at thrift stores that would fit? Also try Habitat Restore....if there is one in your area.

Lila
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile
If you make wood doors, you dont have to paint if you dont want to. Cut panels of fabric to fit the door and if you soak the panel in liquid starch, it will stick to the door, be washable to a degree, and stay up for a year or more. I did my kitchen cabinet dors with panels of chicken and rooster fabric and had them on the panels for a couple of years. Got tired of chickens, went to a different fabric. I had made a tablecloth out of the same fabric and it looked really good.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page

Pedro
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Diana
Bremen Ohio
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Everyone has such good suggestions. Judy, I like your fabric idea, I think I may try that for my kitchen myself. We do have a habitat shop in our area. Its hard to get there, because its only open to noon on Saturdays. But will have to make a point to get there and scope it out for possible materials. Thanks everyone!

Di@ShadyPines
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  9:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Another idea may be to make a frame the size you need and use chicken wire to make the fronts. Kinda like an old pie safe?
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  09:23:17 AM  Show Profile
1/4 in osb boad is inexpensive. Cut it to size, cover it in wall paper remanents that co ordinate with the decore (you could probably find partial rolls at Sherwin Williams) and trim it out with some kind of molding and add hardware. I just covered some shelves for my bathroom closet (made from osb board) with wall paper (didn't put on sizing or sand it down) and they came out fine.
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  09:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Because it is a rental, I would invest the least amount of time in the project and do the curtains. You could change them with the seasons, and when you leave, you still have solid pieces of fabric to re-use.
Go to Top of Page

Summer dream
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Marianne
Walkerton In
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  12:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you could find some shutters at the habitat shop to fit. Maria
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

moodygoddess
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Yvonne
Beaumont TX
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  05:49:07 AM  Show Profile
What about painting the interior of the cabinets in an accent color and leaving some of the shelves open?
Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:09:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by adnama

Another idea may be to make a frame the size you need and use chicken wire to make the fronts. Kinda like an old pie safe?

Ooooo I reallllly like that idea! I'll have to keep that in mind.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  08:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Until I had cabinet doors made by our handyman using cheap bead board and 1x4, our farmhouse kitchen cabinets were either open, displaying colorful dishes and glassware, or covered with calico hung from string "rods" -- they were actually charming. But that probably wouldn't be safe with little kids around. Although it would be unusual, maybe you could store the skull-and-crossbones items on high shelves and put safe things on the lower ones, in containers that would keep kids from opening and spilling their contents. I keep all my flours, sugars, spices and so on in glass jars with lids too wide for tiny hands. I get the real big ones cheap at Wal-Mart and use quart and pint canning jars that are available inexpensively all over, including second hand. I even use big jars for my homemade laundry soap and things like that. Stuff lasts longer, glass lasts forever, and there's no nasty plastic getting into our food supply.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Ideas for replacing cabinet doors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page