Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Looking for natural Osteoarthritis help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looking for natural Osteoarthritis help Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile
I saw the orthopedic doctor today and got the results from the MRI and it looks like there are scruffed up patches on the back of the kneecap that are wearing away the cartilage and causing the beginnings of arthritis. He said to ice it, take OTC pain killers and do really low impact exercise. I am under the impression from him that there is really nothing that can be done for it. This stinks! I'm hobbling around with a cane, sometimes unable to do anything because of the pain, I can't take OTC pain killers because, even with food, they cause severe stomach pain and barfing. I'm a young 51 and have WAY too much life to live to be crippled up like this

So, do any of you suffer from crippling painful arthritis? What can one do to get some measure of life and mobility back? I just found out that due to water from an all year spring on the property, I'll be able to have a huge garden next year, I want to build a really nice chicken coop, a greenhouse and an old fashioned garden swing, I need to fence in our yard fully, to keep the neighboring farm animals and dogs out and my dogs in...There is just so much to do and I'm having a tizzy fit!

Darned if I'm going to take this all meek and mild!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  09:48:19 AM  Show Profile
I use White Willow Bark pills for the arthritis in my neck and back. It might help. I was told it wouldn't help me, but tried it anyhow, and it works really well for my neck. It doesn't eliminate the pain in my back, but it does greatly reduce it.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  9:59:23 PM  Show Profile
I've been using glucosamine and it really helps me. Mine just stiffins up the joints, doesn't cause
pain. Maybe it will help you too.
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  2:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Annika, I'm in the same boat as you. I have arthritis in the hips - bone on bone. Saw an ortho a few weeks back and he had no bedside manner, explained everything in medical terms and was an hour and 15 min. late getting in to see me. His answer to everything was to get shots of cortizone when needed for the pain and do rehab for 6 weeks and take OTC pills for the pain (which I had been taking with no results). When I got home I went on-line and did some research on natural pain relievers and things to take to help. The glucosimen/condroten (sp) is now something I take every day along with some other herbs and vitamins. Got a book on yoga for people with arthritis as well as some DVD's on yoga and will start doing that as soon as my pulled muscle relaxes on my side. I'm only 64 (feel 30)and this is just not something I want to have slow me down. Cortizone shots are like putting poison in your body so that's not even an option as far as I'm concerned. I went on Web MD and found out a lot of good info if you want to try that site. Let's hear from other farmgirls about how they deal with arthritis. We can all learn so much from one another and share our ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  3:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Well girls, I'm gonna die with my boots on! The doctors are so rude and unhelpful sometimes! So, I'm taking glucosomine , a bunch of good vitamins and hoping to get a ride to our local co-op soon to look into other things, like white willow bark. I've been gently massaging around the knee several times a day and doing some low impact leg work and stretches,I've had to change all of my exercise routine, but at least I am exercising! I'm looking into something that was called an anti-inflammatory diet, and foods that naturally aid your joints and aid your natural cortisone. My Hubby's been real sick with kidney stones and he's diabetic, so, I've been taking care of him when he's feeling too bad to work, and I just don't have time to slow down these days. Arthritis affects a zillion people a year and some people, like my mama, so bad that she was bed ridden...So, I'm done having the doctors be rude and unpleasant to me on my time. I'm going at it the natural way.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  2:49:59 PM  Show Profile
I have osteo in my hands from 25 years of uncapping bottles at the lab at Pepsi bottling. Try this: 3 cups organic apple juice, 32 oz organic grape juice (neither one can be reconstituted or it won't work) 1 cup apple cider, 1 box liquid Certo. Mix all, refrigerate and drink 1-2 cups a day. I think it has helped me quite a bit.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looking for natural Osteoarthritis help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page