Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 I've started raking, how 'bout you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic I've started raking, how 'bout you? Next Topic  

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  05:19:22 AM  Show Profile
I have huge piles of mostly pine needles from a wind storm last week, but there are a fair amount of leaves, too.

Although, there are MANY more leaves still on the trees, sigh! I know how bad it is for the air quality, but I sure do wish I could smell burning leaves again!

I guess it is time to start "tucking in" the garden for winter. Today we are cleaning our flue and putting away lawn chairs. We got a load of wood in last weekend.

Is anyone else all done with their winter's coming preparations?

Marianne

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  07:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I've cleaned up my patio and put the furniture away, been cleaning up the garden as things die off, raked out flower beds, cut back some perennials, we got a load of wood last week but we do that every time we go out for a bush ride, haven't had to rake leaves yet but I'm sure that is coming soon.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5257 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5257 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  07:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Still wondering where to start! We have began as Igrid said, with the patio! Marianne, Oh the smell of burning leaves, I remember as a child, knowing that Halloween was just around the corner ,if my Granpaw was burning leaves. We don't burn at all, We have 3 acres of Oak, Pin Oak, Dogwood, Pine and Birch. We just rake up to 50 feet from the house and leave the rest. Our woods is home to many Birds and Wildlife. We cleared just enough to build our home and a small yard. But when the leaves really start to fall, it looks like Rain! I love it! We let our neighbors children come and jump into the piles of leaves,cause we have no grandchildren. They are a joy to watch!!!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:06:21 AM  Show Profile
My husband raked some leaves over the weekend but we have more to go. We not allow to burn leaves here in our neighborhood.

I am in the process of clearing the raised bed. We still have some vegetable growing though. Bringing in some plants and getting rid of the weeds.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  5:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Connie,

I remember watching my daughter throw herself into th e leaf pile when we lived in Syracuse, NY. Thanks for reminding me of that, it brought a smile to my face. How kind of you to share your leave haven with the youngsters next door!!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile
We have three River Birch trees in the middle of the back yard. They are slowly loosing their leaves. When I last mowed the yard I picked up the leaves with the grass catcher attachment. I don't get to rake leaves here in Louisiana until late November. I have a Red Maple Tree that drops the most colorful leaves. I love raking them and throwing them at the neighbor children. They love it.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5257 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5257 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  10:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, same as you ,when I watch the neighbors kids jump and just scream with delight, I can see that little red-haired Holly of mine, hair in briads, with tiny pieces of leaves all stuck in them! Oh ,the Simple Joys of Chilhood lasts but a short time! So glad My husband and I passed on the joy of playing outdoors, to our only Child! She is 37 now and tells me how fondly she remembers the simple things, and I feel like, as a parent, I did one thing right! LOL! My neighbors children, there are 7 of them, age from 13 to 2, came Christmas Caroling to my house, and the harmony of thier voices brought tears to my eyes! and it made raking up the leaves the second time so worth it!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
We raked (mostly because the kids wanted a leaf pile) but there are many leaves left to come off the trees. :) I love raking up the leaves. What I don't love is when the chickens come around and mess with all the piles! Maybe they just want to jump like the kids do!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  4:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Leaves are just starting to turn here in Moscow and I love the soft golds and reds so much! Not many leaves in my yard yet so I'll give it a couple weeks before I start raking. Oh Amy, nothing makes a mess of a good leaf pile like a bunch of chickens lol! I guess they're looking for bugs, but lordy, the leaves do fly! I AM really looking forward to my plums and huge willows turning gold this year, because I'm planning to make a big autumn wreath for the out side of my house

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  06:59:58 AM  Show Profile
No pretty colors here, really. Been too dry! I don't rake or burn. I like to leave the leaves to supplement the soil. Sure wish I had a huuuuge pile of pinestraw, though. I use it for mulch. It is WONDERFUL.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  09:58:09 AM  Show Profile
How about I "should" be raking the leaves? There is no open burning in our township, but they are changing colors (!!!) and that snap is in the air. Can't jump into the leaves anymore, I'm too heavy and I just sink! My youngest is getting to that age, and boy, is she disappointed!
They will be falling for another month or so, plenty of time to watch them fall while having a cup of tea...
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  7:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
That is one department I leave to my Husband. He decided he had to have a leaf blower last year, so now that is his fall job!! I love it when he has a huge pile all blown together, and my little guy buries himself in the middle so you only see his face! He looks like a tree child:) Glad that is finished until spring, unless the Mighty Oak had a few left to deposit in our yard, we should be done for the year! We sure had some pretty color up here in northern WI. Very vibrant! Happy Fall Y'all!!
Sharon
FG sister #3239
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  10:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Here in Eastern Washington we have had a very colorful fall. We had lots of rain this year, so it was a bit more colorful than usual for us. Although we aren't known for our fall color, it has been quite a show! Another windy day and we have LOTS of leaves to get busy with. And our first few nights of below freezing temps are expected tonight and tomorrow! WINTER IS COMING!!

marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  9:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Thursday evening I put the leaf attachment on the mower. Spent, at least, two hour picking up leaves with the mower. The yard was beautiful. It looked like a carpet; all green and nice. However, Mother Nature does have a sence of humor. This morning while eating breakfast the leaves were raining down, and down, and down. There are more leaves than ever now.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Hubby rake most of the leaves yesterday and today it is snowing/raining/windy...lucky he did most of the raking. Lots of leaves on the tree though...yikes.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile
My one tree has been naked for almost a week now. I still have part of the leaves to rake up. Will be glad when spring arrives. La Nina is supposed to be around for another year--oh NO! That means a wet winter. Last winter wasn't too bad, but getting stuck at home during slick weather is no fun. I won't venture out when it is slick due to the possibility of a wreck.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  8:56:54 PM  Show Profile
This looks like the last weekend of raking around here ... on to the shoveling!!!

marianne
Go to Top of Page

hummingbirdjoy
True Blue Farmgirl

1217 Posts

Linda
Washington State
USA
1217 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Our cherry tree is just starting to shed it's large leaves. Looks
so pretty this time of year that we put some by our scarecrow that
is up for the trick-or-treaters tomorrow night.

What I make with my
hands, I give with my heart ....
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  6:35:17 PM  Show Profile
We just got some snow on top of the leaves that didn't get raked! What to do - at least you can't see the leaves now! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  06:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Snow does a beautiful job of covering all my undone fall chores . . . our first snowfall is predicted for Thursday.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Marianne,,, don't use the "S" word...not yet.... oh to late! Hunker down,we are suppose to get 'snow' on Wed...are you ready?
:>)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  5:53:16 PM  Show Profile
does it matter if I'm ready or not? I guess I am . . . I always love the first snow and last year my husband was actually home for it! Guess those days are gone . . . again.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  8:39:13 PM  Show Profile
hahaha! shall I pop over to drink tea & yack the afternoon away? like we usually do? lollol!
fyi, I have 3 little tomatoes left sitting on the window ledge...nice and red... they won't make it to Friday!
I sure am going to miss fresh garden grown 'maters.... :>(

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  09:03:25 AM  Show Profile
Spent 2 hours raking yesterday, and this morning it looks like nothing was done at all! I guess our old maple wanted to let loose again!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  09:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Lisa,
love your garden face!! Do you know who George Carruth is? Is that one of "his" faces? Love his stuff!!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, gosh, I don't know. I just like grouchy faces. I takes a lot of work to always be smiling, don't you think? (it certainly can be tiresome for me!)
I just looked him up, now I know who he is! I've seen his work everywhere.
Thanks, Marianne for the info!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I've started raking, how 'bout you? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page