NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  1:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Jessie you are so young.... and according to Women's Health magazine, women born after 1970 have a life expectancy of 80.8 years, that means officially you won't be middle aged for another 5 years. Like many of the other ladies I was too busy to notice the birthdays fly by, the only ones I paid attention to were the "tens" and that was to celebrate that I had arrived at that certain age. Before 35, I was busy raising 3 little girls and going to college at night. At 37 there was an oops! and I became a grandmother! I was, and still am glad to be young enough to play with my grand-kids. At 39 I decided to lose weight and get fit, and go back to school. At 41, I graduated college and my youngest graduated high-school. At 46, back to school for a new subject and job. At age 50 I met this really handsome guy at work and I thought to myself, oh man, if only I were 15 years younger. Turned out my age didn't matter to him, he was 37 and all the women at the office were trying to get his attention. We have been together since 2001 and married for 7 years. Next May I finally get to file for my pension, I will be 62.
Except for my babies, all the best events of my life happened after age 35. Please, don't be so busy worrying about the birthdays, they will keep coming no matter how much you grieve and because you will miss out on all the fun you could be having.

Another "old lady" having the time of her life! Enjoy life and your day!

{{{hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Amen Kathleen
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  5:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh JessieMae. You're gonna be fine, honey. I'm 51 (and a half! ha ha). Thirties were when I really decided who I was and my forties helped me to get to the woman I am today. I buried my mother at 45. Went through 2 divorces in my forties. 30s? Piece of cake! 40's were quite the ride and to tell you the truth, I was never happier to close that chapter and move into my 50s. So far, I've been loving my 50s! I have lots of grey hair and get compliments all the time...not just from women, but from men which really has surprised me. I never was able to conceive and that is a grief, however, I have many students who call me mom, one of my farmers market helpers brought her 8 week old daughter to the market today for me to hold. I'm little Olive's 3rd Grandma. I'm also a 3rd Grandma to a student's little 5 month old boy as well. I am blessed in so many ways. My advice to you is to count your blessing each and every day. The more you do this, the smaller the black cloud gets until it's gone. Do service for others. Love and let people love you. As you get older, you settle down. Sure, there are aches and pains - I'm feeling some right now - sure, there are bumps in the road and tragedies. BUT! You keep on living and moving forward. You just don't know the destiny God has for you and the doors He's opening even right now. All is well, my darling. All is well.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Oct 08 2011 5:28:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  5:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Jessie you are so young........Don't fret yet. I loved my 30,s and 40,s. And now here I am 50!
I became a Grandma this past year that did not turn out so well for me. I lost my grandson when he was 8 months old. She ran away with him. But I am surviving the situation. Just remember God will never give us more than we can handle. I know I will see him one day again. Anyways you have so much life in front of you. Enjoy everyday and moment of it. Do not let any one still your joy for one second of your life. My MIL is 84 yrs. old and still drives , Volunteers, and would still be mowing her own yard if my DH would let her. She is a jokester and loves to laugh. She saids the secret to life is to never sit down that once you sit down it is over. She has an identical twin sister who lives in Nevada. She flys out there all by herself to visit her. She is a hoot! She still gets out and weeds her flower beds and works like the dickens in her yard. I can't keep up with her. My great grandmother lived to be 106 yrs. old. She lived by herself on a ranch until she was 102 and then she moved in with my grandmother. Life is what you make of it so don't get depressed because that is not good for your health or mind. Celebrate your life every day. So Happy Birthday to you. Cheers! Do something fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  5:12:14 PM  Show Profile
35 is so not old neither is my 39. I feel much more comfortable with myself at this age and am glad that the early 20s are over with.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  10:37:08 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm turning 40 soon. I remember my parents having these awful "Over The Hill" Parties when I was a kid. When I turned 35, I got the little pot belly I had lost at puberty that I had as a kid. My hair is greying, I get arthritic...but you know what? SO what! Think about it...can't stop a birthday and the alternative is a lot worse! Stop worrying about aging. There's other things you CAN control to worry about, right? Do something really nice for yourself on your birthday. Sending farmgirl hugs...

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  10:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness Jessie, don't go feelin' old just yet!You have most of your life ahead of you still! I had to think a minute to remember what I was doing at 35. I was still very much a goth-punk (still am in many ways =P) I had purple and black hair and worked in an indie music shop =) I'm 51 now and most days never think about my age. Except for an arthritic knee and lousy eyesight, I think of myself as a much younger woman. You need to make sure that you learn to love yourself as you are at whatever age. Life is a canvas and experience, sorrow and joy are the paints, You are the artist of your own life. As you continue the natural progress of your life, you need to become more and more attuned to your body and it's needs. Celebrate 35! Take yourself out to a fancy lunch! Do something that you've always wanted to do. Be alive in the moment!

Luv and hugs!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Nope, you can still have a child at even 37 or 39 .. It's possible these days if you are basically healthy. I'm 31, 32 in March... SHUSH !! LOL.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775
http://honeybrookefarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  03:56:49 AM  Show Profile
41 and still wearing sizes 8 and 6. (althought gravity has taken over a little)

Don't let it get you down in the least...........it will if you let it and if you STOP moving, you will

Keep poppin' whatever pain meds it takes to keep you moving and get out there.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Ok, JessieMae. How are you doing?

Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Well - inspired by you all - I made a few changes, and I'm feeling a little better.

I treated myself to a new hairstyle, which provided a surprisingly effective self-esteem boost. It motivated me to get up in the morning and spend some time on my appearance, and when I look good, I feel good. Wearing grubby sweats is like an invitation to lay on the couch, whereas 'real' clothes make me want to get out and about.

I also realized that I was caught up in a unhealthy cycle of being depressed, overindulging in sugar, then having a sugar crash and ending up more depressed, and so on and so on. So I cut sugar out of my diet. I'm just now starting to get back to equilibrium, but already I can tell the difference.

And I really did some soul searching about the whole baby thing and found some positives hidden among the negatives. Never having a baby isn't all bad: I've been able to live in places that were really exciting but totally inappropriate for kids (like a loft apartment in a converted warehouse in the Cleveland Flats), I've been able to move whenever I got wanderlust, I've been able to drink beer and watch 'R' rated movies in the living room whenever I wanted.... In exchange for having a baby, I had an awful lot of fun instead. I'd kind of forgotten that part.

I'm also trying to change my point of view so I don't equate growing older with approaching 'the end' of something.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile
If 35 is old then if I choose to believe that,I'm doomed. I'm 48.
I got divorced at 35,my mom came abruptly back into my life and I moved out of state. It was a very turbulant,upsetting,and a time I would never want to re-live. However- the age itself never bothered me,it was the events and the fact that for the most part,I was not in control.
That being said,yes,I have the signs of aging too-my hands look older,I'm getting a "waddle" under my chin,my nose is bigger,I have wirely gray hairs all over my head,and I no longer have the super slim figure I sported in my 20's. And I gained a titanium rod in my lower right leg from a very bad fall in water.
But you know what? It's just physical. That's it. Who we are and how we choose to feel determines an awful lot-including how we look. Last night on the news a health reporter was talking how the simple act of smiling and having an upbeat personality takes years off the face. One of my Cowgirl books quotes a cowgirl who said something like "if you have a spunky,upbeat personality people won't care about how old you are" Nor will they guess correctly-many people guess me to be in my late 30's to very early 40's.
If we want to live a long time,the simple fact is we're going to get old but just physically. That's it. Remember the heart and mind are ageless,and how "old" you decide to be is really up to you.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  05:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Age is just a number, if you want to claim that number its up to you, but just because the calendar says you are 35 doesnt mean you have to be!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Time to put on your big girl panites ladies. I am 72 and still do everything I ever did. Slower mind you, but the same things. Every year the garden tiller gets heaver and it takes me 2 days to make a batch of salsa. But last summer I canned potatoes and chicken for the first time. I always grow a new vegetable in the garden and take at least 20 things to the county fair. Every winter gets colder and every summer gets hotter. You conpensate. The bad thing about being older is all those kids. Three kids all married, 12 grand kids, half of them married and 9 great grandkids (and one on the way), Makes for a big crowded and expensive Christmas.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:55:11 AM  Show Profile
35 can be the newest chapter of your life. I got married to my husband at 32 and had my first child at 36 and second at 38. I have had new careers start and parents die. 35 is what you make it. You can start your own new chapter, meet new friends, start new hobbies, have more children, it's not too late. Make a new promise to yourself to take care of yourself better, eat healthier and execise. You have your whole life ahead of you. Good luck

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  2:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I didn't realize that I am old at 49 or that 35 is considered middle age. Here I thought I was still young and almost middle age. :D I have longevity in my family. My great uncle was 105 and I have another uncle who is presently 94 and and aunt who is 91. My parents are still living, they are only in their 80's. I have never thought of myself as old even though I have been through menopause already.
As for children, I know women in their forty's who have had children. My sister didn't have her first till she was 37. She chose that he would be her only one though. Our Pastor's wife who is in her mid 40's has a year old baby same as my middle daughter who is 28. My goodness there is plenty to do. Life is hardly over for you or even on the downside yet. It's not over till it's over and I am living it to the fullest until then. We were given life to enjoy and each new season has its new beginnings! Personally, I have been thinking about school again. :)

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  5:24:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bellepepper

Time to put on your big girl panites ladies. I am 72 and still do everything I ever did. Slower mind you, but the same things. Every year the garden tiller gets heaver and it takes me 2 days to make a batch of salsa. But last summer I canned potatoes and chicken for the first time. I always grow a new vegetable in the garden and take at least 20 things to the county fair. Every winter gets colder and every summer gets hotter. You conpensate. The bad thing about being older is all those kids. Three kids all married, 12 grand kids, half of them married and 9 great grandkids (and one on the way), Makes for a big crowded and expensive Christmas.

Belle

You're my kind of woman, Ms. Belle!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Did "35" Do to You? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page