michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  05:23:13 AM  Show Profile
OK this might seem like a silly question, but remember, I am a northerner! When I see recipes for "Fried Green Tomatoes" are you all talking about ripe green tomatoes (the zebra green variety for example), or are you talking about unripe (green) red tomatoes? I don't want to use the wrong kind, but want to try out the recipes! Thanks gals!

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  05:43:50 AM  Show Profile
Unripe green tomatoes. They need to be pretty solid to fry them.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  06:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

Nature Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Pamela
Dania Beach Florida
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Fried Green Tomatoes are so delicious. I made them a while back and added the Panco Bread crumbs for a touch of zest and crunch.
Plus you don't have to wait until the tomatoes turn red to enjoy them.
I like to slice them about an inch thick for best results.
Good luck & enjoy them!

"Busy Bees Make Beautiful Flowers"
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  08:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Nature Girl!
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile
thanks! i always wondered that myself

http://www.naturemaiden.com/- Soap & Candle
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ My Blog
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/-Online Thrift Shop

Edited by - naturemaiden on Oct 10 2011 11:37:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  02:39:06 AM  Show Profile
As a southern girl displaced up here in yankie country i do love my fried green tomatoes...I use any unripe tomato except big beef steak as they are very watery.....I cut mine about 1/2 inch thick then dip them in egg then pure cornmeal...some do it with a mix of cornmeal & flour...best way to fry them is in pure lard or bacon grease...yeah I know...a heart attack waiting to happen...I also have a green tomato pie I do with 1/2 inch sliced tomatoes in a pie shell then sprinkle cornmeal between each layer then pour beaten eggs over it.....& bake it up......Some people will add brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves ect like you do with an apple pie instead of the corn meal & eggs..yet to try that one since we have always liked the other pie......Hope you enjoyed them...they are a favorite of mine & each summer I can't wait for the tomatoes to get big enough to pick for a few batches of fried tomatoes...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  08:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks for the information batznthebelfry! LOVE cornmeal- this should be really yummy!
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  9:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
When I had a garden and grew tomatoes, we always had a fried green tomato feast the day of the first hard frost. Up until the frost, my tomato plants would keep producing tomatoes, and we'd let them ripen and then eat them. But after the first hard frost, the plants basically turned to mush. Tomatoes that hadn't yet ripened were basically stuck being green. So we'd go out, harvest them all, and sort them by size: the smaller ones got pickled into Dilly Tomatoes using a recipe I got from my husband's Aunt Ruthie (who is an absolutely wonderful woman and a real farmgirl :-) ), who had gotten it passed down to her from her Grandmother Bowie (yes, she's related to *the* Bowie, of knife fame). Not only is it a great way to use up the smaller green tomatoes, I love that the recipe has all that history behind it too. :-) The larger tomatoes we sliced up and made into fried green tomatoes, and since we tended to have *lots* of green tomatoes on First Frost Day, we had mountains of fried green tomatoes.

I haven't had a garden for the last 5 years though, and what with the current invasion of brown marmorated stink bugs in Maryland, if I do manage to get a garden put in for next year, I probably won't bother to plant tomatoes - I simply don't have the energy to defend them from the stink bugs. Instead, I'll probably plant a lot of kale and chard and cabbage and brussels sprouts and things like that. And squash. Apparently stink bugs will attack squash, but they don't like it as much as tomatoes or apples, so since we're surrounded by apple orchards, we should be okay with the squash. <fingers crossed>. The lovely Mennonite (I think she's Mennonite, she might be Brethren) lady who is the librarian at the little library in Blue Ridge Summit told me that after her garden got totally devastated by stink bugs this summer, she's seriously considering not having a garden at all next year, or if she does, planting the sorts of things I mentioned above. (That is, in fact, why I'm considering doing the same thing. When someone with that much experience and wisdom and knowledge about gardening in this area says it's not worth even trying to grow tomatoes with all these stink bugs everywhere, I tend to take that seriously.)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  9:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I found out for me that I need to get as much of the moisture out of the green tomatoes and that if you sprinkle a little salt on them and place on paper towel it will draw out the moisture. Since I started doing this my coating stays on better and gets crispier

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  01:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Acelady02

I found out for me that I need to get as much of the moisture out of the green tomatoes and that if you sprinkle a little salt on them and place on paper towel it will draw out the moisture. Since I started doing this my coating stays on better and gets crispier

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

O wow i love this idea i never thought of this for tomatoes. ive only done it to the eggplant wen making eggplant parm. ill def try. that is great.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us strive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI