Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 No more whining please!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic No more whining please!!!! Next Topic  

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  2:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to teach a child not to whine? I can handle the worst temper tantrum but not whining! It's like nails on a chalk board for me.

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather. How old are we talking here? My 4 year old whines all the time, but I will look at him and say I can't help him until he stops whining. He will stop and in the most sweet little voice tell me what he wants or needs. It works some of the time. I think consistency is the key. And repetition. I would love any suggestions people have too. =o]

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  3:25:19 PM  Show Profile
I think most little ones will give it a shot at some point or another. What I found worked 100% of the time for me was telling my youngest that I didn't understand what she was saying when she whined.
Di
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Kaden is two 1/2, I have been doing what ya'll have suggested & that has helped it improve. I agree with getting them to use their "words" to talk rather than whining. I wish there was just an easy button for it like on the Office Max commercials!! Ha!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  8:46:31 PM  Show Profile
My middle son was a whiner. A very wise friend with wonderful kids told me to try this... when he began to whine to calmly tell him I would not listen to him when he whined. I explained that when talked to me in a normal tone of voice I would give him my attention. It took about three days & no more whining! YAY!

By the way, the same thing worked with interruptions. If the boys interrupted (unless it was an emergency) they had to wait five minutes before they were allowed to speak to me. They learned to stand quietly by my side & wait for me to turn and ask what they needed. Now...this will only work if you don't ignore the child who is standing there quietly waiting for your attention. In other words don't make them wait a ridiculous amount of time before you respond.

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  11:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Both of my daughter's were whiners. I would tell them that I would not help them or give them what they were asking for unless they talked in a normal voice. Stephanie is 12 and still whines sometimes but I think that's a normal pre-teen thing! But I still tell her the same thing. Just hang in there and be consistent.

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  05:00:22 AM  Show Profile
thank you ladies!

Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  10:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Heather--- everyone has hit the one word on the head, consistency!

I too, went through the whining stage with my two when they were little. I also tell parents, no is a good word to learn. I see so many parents who do not know how to say no. Both mine say I could say "no" faster then blinking an eye. Some of those "no's" were so hard on me. We have a dear friends who couldn't have children of their own, found it impossible to adopt in the states so they adopted twin girls from Bulvaria. Scott is so close to my husband and he asked all sorts of parenting questions. I remember him looking at me an asking what was the one thing with little ones he needed to know. I remember telling him that "no's" didn't become "yeses." I also on several occasions while working for the Texas Prison System to have a new employee ask me what my best tip was. I would ask, "What part of NO don't you understand?" I said the sooner you understand that simple word to tell an inmate, the easier your job will be. If I had an inmate who would try and talk me into an yes, I'd say..."What part of NO don't you understand?" All of the inmates eventually then understood that if I said "NO" I meant it. What type of "boss" you are eventually gets around to all of the inmates. Of course these were adults....as I would never use that phrase with a child. "No's" deserve an explanation to a child if they ask politely.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Edited by - santa_gertrudis_gal on Aug 10 2006 10:10:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  6:04:35 PM  Show Profile
I know some adults that I wish I could teach not to whine!!!!

One woman is 60 years old, and Oh my gosh, I hate to see her coming around!!!!
"Nobody likes me, I can't do that, it's too hard, it's so unfair, he treats me badly", and on and on! One day I actually got impatient and I was thinking "Would you like some cheese with your whine?" - I'm not sure now if I actually said it or not, she gave me the funniest look. When we went home I asked my husband if I had actually verbalized it or not, of course he wasn't paying any attention, as usual. He says I worry too much.

I sure hope others never see me complaining like that!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Mamasboys
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Andrea
Columbia Falls MT
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  9:57:41 PM  Show Profile
I haven't tried this yet but I think I'll be doing this soon as the whining with 3 little boys (plus I'm pregnant!) is getting to be a bit too much to handle.
Make up a horrible tasting concoction of healthy things such as apple cider vinegar with garlic and call it your 'whine medicine'. Anytime they whine, they get a teaspoon. I was thinking of doing this and calling it 'but juice' because of all the times I hear 'But mooooommmm.....'
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic No more whining please!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page