Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Best dog to guard chickens?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best dog to guard chickens? Next Topic  

youngbunny
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jeri
Kirkland WA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  09:22:48 AM  Show Profile
Mornin' Gals:

We have three darling chickens. What are the best mid-size dogs (no Pyrenees, please) that would do a great job guarding them, but not eating them? I keep hearing Australian Shepherd? We have raccoons lurking. Also, I have one chicken who isn't laying and is just plain MEAN. She's not a rooster, but she's much bigger than the other two dainties that I have laying...what do I do with her? All my chicks are about 6 months old.

Thanks everyone!

Simpler Life = Happier Life!

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile
just about any dog raised from a tiny pup with chickens, will guard to some degree, but racoons have been known to gut dogs, they can be very dangerous, in my opinion, if you want a good guardian dog, go with an Anatolion Shepard, cause they will guard your chickens, family and property...now as far as a mean chicken, rooster or hen, stewpot or re-home...good luck...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  2:27:52 PM  Show Profile
They aren't medium but because of their hair they are VERY hard to be gutted, and we have never had one gutted, Chow Chows. They guard family, chickens, other pets, etc. At least ours did. Ours was pure bred though. I've seen mixed ones not be as good. However, our chow chow was kind of jealous of the chickens never hurt them but would pee on their food when ever he could! lol haha But, he also did guard them from coons, and such.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

youngbunny
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jeri
Kirkland WA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  3:46:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank Guys! Heather...HAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Simpler Life = Happier Life!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  5:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Anatolian is going to be very similar to a pyr. My Pyr/Aussie shep hybrid is ideal and she's about the same size as a golden retriever. Pyr guardian instinct is extremely strong, especially if you start them young. Maybe look for a cross and look for the smallest pup in the litter? That how we ended up with Molly-medium :)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Jen, I have anatolians, and aussies, anatolians are not much like Pyr's in my opinion, I like the anatolians alot more, and they don't have the hip problems, as far as the aussies go, great for herding, but if you let them guard and they ever kill something, they usually will then kill anything that runs...
Heather, have personaly seen dogs gutted by coons, not a pretty sight, also have had relatives dogs drowned by coons, and these were redbone hounds, which are tuff hunting dogs, and yes a dog that has as much hair as a chow, probaly would not get gutted, at least not very easily...and if I had a dog peeing on my other animals food, they would be getting re-homed real quick,lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  8:38:49 PM  Show Profile
He was a great dog except for the peeing, but you could tell it was jealousy. And yes their thick tough fur keeps them from being easy prey to a lot of animals. In fact in China they were the guard dogs for the royalty. That's chow chow in all those carvings, not lions as the guards. He was even attacked by mad dogs in the neighborhood once that go for the throat but they couldn't get through his fur to his throat. He was also great with children. He was just a good dog. Except for one night he was barking his head off (rarely ever barked!), and my step dad went out to see what was wrong, and any time my step dad would get close to the direction he was barking he would run and knock my step dad down. Finally my mom came out with the flash light, shown it in the way he was barking and it was a HUGE coon on top of the chicken coop. He was afraid it would attack my step father and was trying to protect him from it! That was the one and only time he ever "attacked" any of us. And it wasn't a real attack more of a trying to keep my step father away from the coon!

He also was very good around any of our friends, with exception to one that he hated......ended up the one friend he hated was a pedophile!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  9:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Quite a story Heather!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  11:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah we loved him so much. But we learned from him we could no longer trust friends care for the animals while we were gone. We went on vacation one summer and the friend didn't make sure he had enough water and they get sooooooo hot, he died. :( It was horrible. The friend also emptied his pool thinking he was helping us. It was the dogs pool not the kiddy pool (although it was a kid pool, we used it for the dog cause of all the fur he would lay in the kid pool all summer, we would just clean it out each week and refill it each day). After that we boarded our animals when we had to go on vacation. Any way....loved him a lot. He was a GREAT dog! He just didn't like the chickens getting too much attention! hahaha

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best dog to guard chickens? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page