Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Craigslist is bad for me :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Craigslist is bad for me :( Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Saw a 4 month old milking shorthorn/holstein listed across the valley from me-- they only want beef price for her!

I've got cash in hand but it has to buy hubby a cheap get around car because he'll have classes 90 minutes from home every day next term and to build a better duck pen before winter. :( here's hoping I can come in under budget and afford her! She's half of what I expected to pay for a dairy heifer and I don't have the unknown factor that an auction situation would hand me.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Just remember, if the price is to good to be true...make sure you know what you are looking at, plus, remember its going to be 2 plus years before she is old enough to breed, and then come into milk after she calves...that adds up to alot of money and nothing in return for awhile, plus don't forget you will have breeding fees, then a calf to do something with...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:38:05 AM  Show Profile
And, lol, don't forget the unhappy hubby who will have to walk that distance to class because you spent his money on something that won't be functional for 2 years! A grumpy husband or a cow? Hmm...which would I choose? But yeah, Craigslist can be dangerous!

Sounds like you have cow fever, don't worry, you'll get one when it's right.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile
well being a wheeler dealer for cows i say check it out. i have learned to check udder attachment. check teat angles. check her feet and back line. does she have horns? has she been halter trained or lead rope. what is the history of the place she came from? then if you like her. i say disposition is first. the fact she is a heifer matters. i just spoke with the dairy man i bought my calf from. he laughed when i told him about penelope and mastitus. that i was buying the calf to try to heal her bag. he said "when will you girls learn to buy a heifer never milked. then you have a healthy udder. i HATE HATE HATE MASTITUS. can you tell??? out of 4 cows i have resecued 4. so 1 is a 2 teater 1 is a 3 teater one is soon to be a 3 teater (mastitus) 1 came with strep mastitus. if you can get a bred back heifer that is healthy and bred to something little it would be wonderful. price is always negotiable with farmers. hay has value, mucking stalls has value her first calf has value. i just sold a heifer mini jersey this year. i sold her for 500.00 BUT i get first calf and get to pick semen used. you could offer labor in trade for half her value. i am making payments for one girl. 100.00 a month. her milk pays her way. i tested her she is A-2 A-2. poor girl is knock kneed and was headed for the burger place. she is a wonderful cow. so if you can or do know cows rescue one. my cows are good natured and sweet. if you buy a cow in milk DEMAND A MILK CULTURE before you buy. it costs 2.50 plus shpg. then you know she is healthy in her udder. most milking shorthorns are naturally A-2 A-2. you can get a better price for her milk. it would be perfect. you just pull tail hairs and send to the V.G.L. lab at uc davis education center. if you ever need more info or help i would be glad to. let us know what you decide. you MUST be able to handle the heifer or you could get hurt. it is such an exciting thing to get new animals. i know kris is having fun with her new sheep. i love this little holstein guy. no name yet. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile
also sorry LOL holsteins are huge. how much land do you have. she sounds cute BUT holsteins are usually A-1 but some folks do not care about the A-2 deal. you need land for a cow that is part holstein. just thinking a little more about it and thought i would add this. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  3:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, I have 10 acres, so it's not a space concern. The really great bargain was choice of 2 bred (to mini jersey) dexters (first calf!)$650. Great price. Hubby is not always rational about money. (Thats my job). When buying a calf, he sees it as a 350$ purchase price, and doesn't gripe about animal feed as part of the cost. If I ask for 350, I'm more likely to get it than if I ask for 600 :( he sees it as a chunk of money he could spend on something else. I can explain it to him all ways, but he either will or won't get over the mental hump of spending *this much* all at once.
Course, I only saw these listings while checking rates and locations of beef cows for number crunching.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Sep 21 2011 3:52:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Craigslist is bad for me :( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page