Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Internal debate of buying a beef steer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Internal debate of buying a beef steer Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile
The long and short of it is, we have a little bit of financial aid money from Hubby's tuition dispersal left over (this is why we're going to school in Arizona after all.) I'm considering putting it to him to purchase a beef feeder calf with some of it.

Pros: ~We have horse fencing and shelter so we're already set up to house a bovine.
~Would give us a lot of quality meat at butcher time
~Save us a lot of money on beef
~Is a very small investment (a weaned steer can be had in our area for 200-ish)
~Brings us closer to our self sufficiency goal
~Will make a minimal "footprint" in our property lease. That is to say, our landlords won't care one way or the other if we add a cow to our menagerie.
~Gives me cow care experience toward my eventual dairy heifer without sticking me with the responsibility for a permanent resident.
~My grandfather was a butcher so my mother knows how to process and between 3 able and non squeamish adults, we wouldn't have to pay to hire out the service.

~Cons: ~200-ish bucks not going towards paying off debts

~If I buy hay to feed it, I know my broke, unemployed by choice because no job is perfect enough to apply for, mother will mooch it for her worthless lazy horses she won't ride or sell and I'll assume feeding her animals slowly, yet progressively because all of a sudden we'll be "out of alfalfa" and she'll "pay me back" but never will have any money to do so.
As you can gather from my passive aggressive tone, I'm not sure the vast benefits outweigh yet another "battlefield" that would come up in the household. (Unless there is some type of feed I could invest in for a cow that would be so unsuitable for horses she wouldn't touch it.)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Sep 18 2011 10:57:23 AM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  7:01:55 PM  Show Profile
generaly, there is a big differance between cow hay and horse hay, and I know I would not feed my horses cow hay...but, if your mother is that bad, why is she still living with you, and if thats not business, then lock your feed up in a differant shed, so she can't get to it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  9:56:14 PM  Show Profile
I ask myself that frequently Tina... and hubby also suggested hiding away the food, he's pretty on board about the beef thing.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
What i would do is look around to packing plants or buther houses and see if they know of someone that might have cows for sale or they might have cows available. I think it would be cheaper that way. We got 2 bottle calves 9 months ago. by the time we have them butchered we will have several thousand dollars in them.The butcher that i found keeps cows for people to purchase. You can purchase any size you want for $2.25 per lb. That includes the cow and processsing fee. I am going to have more tha $2.25 pr lb in mine.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  10:52:20 AM  Show Profile
I'd contact your local extension agent and see if she knows anyone that may have a beef available. You could also ask at your local farmers market. We've got a couple people here that you can buy beefs from pre-processed for a ton cheaper than at the store, and you don't have to feed it or deal with the brokenheartedness.

I've got a 1,500 lb baby out in our pasture I've been debating sending to the packer. He's a pet, but a pet that could feed us for AT LEAST a year that started out as a beef steer. I made the dumb mistake of making him into a pet.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
never, ever make friends with and/or name your food, you should be able to handle them safely, and lead with halter and rope...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile
yeah, jokey food-related names are plenty to tell them apart. I was thinking I'd knight my steer and call him "Sir Loin"

I came up empty on buying processed beef. All local sources worked out to 6.50 a lb!!!!! I don't pay that for pure rib eye at Kroger!! Too many yuppies with money here >_< They want the all natural stuff and they are willing to pay for it.

Go to Top of Page

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile
I talked to friend who raises beef cattle when my husband and I thought about the same adventure for our future farm. He suggested pigs. He said that a single cow must be raised for 18 - 24 months before butchering and a pig only 4-6 months. The chances of a vet bill increases the longer the animal lives. He raises cattle but takes a chance because of the numbers game - more cattle = more meat - so a vet here and there doesn't impact him as much. He also told me to consider that you do have to buy feed / hay for a cow, while a pig requires feed it will also dispose of scraps. Remeber the long term cost of your investment can really add up. I bought a 4H support pig (one that doesn't go to show but encourages the show pig to eat - yes, they competively eat) and let the 4H teenager raise it. All the meat none of the work! I also priced bulk beef (1/4 & 1/2) from a local butcher and the prices were cheaper than the grocery store - again, all the meat none of the work. I must admit don't have the time or space at this stage in my life to personally raise anything more than a garden, a couple dogs and a teenager but I have been doing research for our future. When we build our new homestead it will be limited to chickens & pigs.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

www.durangodream.blogspot.com

Edited by - Naked on a Mountain Top on Sep 21 2011 08:57:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Pigs are ridiculously economical, I defenitly have them in my homestead plan, but the property I'm on, I lease, and there's no suitable pen for a pig and building one would certainly add to the expense (and its not the kind of expense I could pack up and take with me in 3 years-- the absolute longest I would be here.) The thing with a calf is that our pre-existing horse fencing is perfectly appropriate as it stands.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Internal debate of buying a beef steer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page