Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  08:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Some dear friends of mine sold their house and gave me some of their horseradish roots. I know once they are established they can spead and "take over" an area but for now how do I transplant them? Right now they are in a jar of water (which I change and rinse twice a day). They seem to be growing "hair" roots. I live in a Zone 4 climate and first freeze is fast approaching. Plant them? Pot them? Please help - they have sentimental value. Also, full or partial sun? dry or wet soil? I'm just a bit lost.

Thank you for helping.

www.durangodream.blogspot.com

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  08:38:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Seana,

Go ahead and plant!! It likes sun, but will stand shade too. Water well to establish before your freeze hits. We've had horseradish for two years now and so far, it hasn't really spread that much, so really no worries there, unless you dig up plants and throw bits of roots everywhere, which will then take hold and grow, because even the tiniest bit of root can start a new plant.
Here is some great info (with pictures!!) about growing horseradish that I keep bookmarked:
http://www.horseradishplants.com/cgi-bin/store/grow.html

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  07:08:47 AM  Show Profile
DO NOT PLANT HORSERADISH IN YOUR GARDEN. Plant the root in a container that it can't break through, and a whiskey barrel doesn't count. We planted ours in a whiskey barrel in the garden and it grew through the bottom and spread through the garden. Any piece that does not get dug up will multiply! Best way to propigate horse radish is to till.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile
I love my horseradish! I've had it growing for 2 years and it hasn't spread yet. I have it with my hops, comfrey, some mint and a butterfly bush. There's room for everybody. I harvest lots of everything so I'm not too worried about spreading. I harvest from the outside and go in, so nothing has a change to get space greedy!

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  10:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to plant it this morning in a plastic container 18 x 48 and about 18 deep. Since my yard is small I can't risk a "take over". I'll check back next spring to let you know it it survives the winter.

www.durangodream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Transplanting Horseradish Root? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page