Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:31:15 AM  Show Profile
doo any of you farm gals make jelly or pies with these apples??? Should I go for it????I've got plenty this year and sure would like to use them.
Recipe needed

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Beverly,
I haven't made crabapple jelly in a while, but I do make it and actually prefer it over the other apple jellies.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile
My mom had a wonderful apple tree that her mom gave to her a long time ago, and it had the best apples on it - quite tart & a little sour. They were the only apples we had for "baking" - pies, apple crisp, cake, apple sauce, anything. She also froze bags & bags & bags of them. Although everything Mom made after "harvest" was apple "something" so we got kind of sick of them by spring, but they made lovely things, I do have to say. I'm rather disappointed that the tree is dead now (before we could go dig it up, the new ppl in our old house let their 2 big german shepherds pee all over it & killed it). I'm hoping that one of my aunts has the same tree & I can take a cutting & make it into a tree. Nobody knows what kind of apples or tree they were either. Have fun experimenting!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  04:22:58 AM  Show Profile
I can up crab apple juice and use for pectin in jam and jelly making. Cook them down with a little water, and send through a foodmill. Then can. Works great.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  04:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Beverly- My aunt had one in her yard in North Carolina and she and my Mom made beautiful delicious crab apple jelly every year. It comes out a dark red/pink and has a wonderful flavor. I suggest you try it and see what you think and then let us know how it turns out!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:27:15 AM  Show Profile
I had a neighbor who used to make crab apple wine. I never tasted it but it was very pretty in a glass.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  08:03:19 AM  Show Profile
I make crab apple butter. I season it to my personal taste, less sugar than most people, more cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, than a lot of people use. It turns out tastin like spiced apple cider with a little bite to it. My family likes a tangy jelly or jam or whatever, more so than a sugary one.

With crab apples you have a very high acid content and a very high pectin content. It makes it a very easy to work with fruit!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  08:21:48 AM  Show Profile
Pam...
Did your mom freeze them whole, unpeeled? My mom says they used to can them like plums, with the peel and all.
We have a few trees here, and the crop is HUGE this year! Can't wait to use 'em!
CJ...
Can you post your jelly recipe? Thanks! :)

Stacked Stone Farm
feel free to follow my blog: www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - momdrinkstea on Sep 20 2011 08:22:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  7:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth - no...we had to cut them in quarters & core them, so they must have been a good size lol. They stayed with the peel on. Some of them were smaller, but I don't honestly remember them being really large or teeny small. There was a couple of years that Mom canned them, but we didn't really like them - I think there was too much cloves in them maybe? - so she only did it once or twice.

Angela - how do you make crab apple butter? I'm thinking that most of my apples are gonna end up as apple sauce since they are on the small side. I wonder if they'll keep until the weekend?? lol There are town wide yardsales & I want a "squisher" thing - I don't even know what they're really called, I've just always called them the "squisher thing" lol. It's an inverted triangle strainer thing that you put the fruit into, then take a wooden (well, Mom's was wooden) pounder thing & squish it around over top of a pail. Don't you like my "technical" terms?? Lol. Anyways, I'm looking for one of them.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Just posted some recipes for crabapples on my blog...
butter, jelly, bread, juice & cordials - enjoy! :)

Stacked Stone Farm
feel free to follow my blog: www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - momdrinkstea on Sep 21 2011 07:09:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  07:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Ok - it's not a recipe to eat but a recipe for FUN!

When I was a small kiddo in Brownies (young Girl Scouts), I remember carving faces in little crab apples and glueing yarn "hair" on top then sticking them on skewer to dry. They were little "Shrunken Heads" just in time for Halloween!!

Because sometimes it's ok to play with your food!!

www.durangodream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  08:45:22 AM  Show Profile
LOL Pam! Loved your description! That "squisher" thing is called a chinoise (or china cap) and should be readily available in a good hardware store for not too much money.

I think the apples you are talking about are not crabapples, which are usually small, tart and make delicious jelly, although I would have never attempted a pie or sauce. The ones in our yard were only about 1/2" in diameter, though I've seem some varieties up to an inch or maybe a little more.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:07:50 AM  Show Profile
thanks all for your replies----think Iam going to try apple butter...have a nice day.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Can you freeze apple butter or do you have to can it? I don't have anything to can with, but I have freezer safe jars & a lot of freezer space...so I'm just wondering. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crab apple????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page