heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile
By the way, does anyone have a good barn layout I can use for goats? We are starting from scratch(our farm on 5 acres) & hubby told me I get to design the barns we need. Just drop me a line if anyone has any suggestions.

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE the name of your farm, very nice!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  11:42:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather...try going to "The Mother Earth News" website and doing a search. They have some great articles in their back issue archive.
You can also look for the "Have More Plan"...they had a really neat little goat barn if I remember correctly and you might also locate it on the TMEN website.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  1:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Di! I have been to the local library but nothing really geared towards goats. I feel lucky to have found ya'll!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  6:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Heather,
I think I have several such plans, but I have to run out the door (am in Japan, dif. time zone!) I will look into it and get back to you in about 5 hours.
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  6:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
I have a great book called 'How to Build Animal Housing' by Carol Ekarius. It has an open sort of field shed for goats plus a milking barn with milking stands, feeders, etc. It is a useful book for any ideas as it has housing for all animals and all sizes, for example from a small portable chicken ark to a chicken mansion. Maybe your library might have it - it is quite a big book so probably relatively expensive. I was lucky to get it as a present from someone who understands my addiction to having my own farm some day.
Hope you find what you need and good luck with it all.
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  8:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Talitha, thanks & I will be looking forward to hearing back from you!
Jayne, thank you very much! I will run the book by my local library to see if they can get their hands on a copy! I have ALWAYS wanted to visit Australia! Do you have a farm of your own now?

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
I am still dreaming of my farm (have been waiting for 15 years for hubby to be brave enough to try it!!). I live on a third of an acre, so enough to have a bit of a vegie garden and some chooks. We have only been here for 6 months (previously lived in the city all our married life), so now I have had a taste of farm life with my chooks, I definitely want more! I would love to hear how you go with your farm, as I want to buy a block with nothing so we can set it up the way we would like it. Are you going to be using the farm for income or still working at jobs? It will be a wonderful adventure for you!
Best wishes
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  9:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ok back..sorry had to take the girls to ballet and get some groceries! A typhoon is headed to us, so could not skip it!

Heather the book Jayne spoke about is wonderful!! You can get it online at Amazon for $15.72 and less used. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580175279/sr=8-1/qid=1155011410/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5295205-4077656?ie=UTF8

Ok there is also a floor plan in "Back to Basics" by Readers Digest which most libraries have.

Barnyard in your Backyard also has a floorplan.

Now here are some from online and I am also going to see if I can scan from my books and send you..but am not sure how...so we will go to online first!

http://cerc.colostate.edu/Blueprints/Goat/5773.pdf

this one is to house 10 goats
http://cerc.colostate.edu/Blueprints/Goat/6255.pdf

this one also houses 10 goats
http://cerc.colostate.edu/Blueprints/Goat/6256.pdf

for a milking stand
http://cerc.colostate.edu/Blueprints/Goat/6399.pdf

housing and stand and..
http://www.age.psu.edu/extension/ip/IP728-26.pdf

I hope these help and if I can figure out how to scan and send, I will scan the plans I have in the books and send them to you!!

Best to you and your new place!!!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  10:08:09 PM  Show Profile
I have had a look at the links from Talitha. I think I'll have to print them to put in my file too (one day, like you, Talitha, I'd like to have the farm rather than just all the books and ideas jotted down - but until then!!)
Heather, what breed of goats are you looking at? I like Nubians personally, so cute!
Best wishes to all,
Jayne

Edited by - daffodil dreamer on Aug 07 2006 10:11:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  10:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jayne,
Won't it be wonderful when we can put all our dreams and ideas and plans to use!! I can not wait for that day!! You sound like me, always tucking ideas and plans away for that day!! I hope it comes soon for you! I hope it comes soon for all of us waiting to make it a reality!!
Hugz,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  05:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Thank you again for all of ya'll's input! We are looking into Boer goats for the time. I too like the Nubians,they have great personality. I also think the pygmy is cute!
We have 5 acres with part of a stream going through the back of our property. It was all wooded until now. We have been clearing out trees to make pasture. I did save a good bit for shade, I couldn't stand the thought of cutting them all down! I am able to stay at home and raise our 2 yr old right now, but we want to make farming fulltime for the family.
Talitha, you take care & stay away from Typhoons!
Jayne, thanks for the conversation!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Heather,
I think it is wonderful that you are planning to farm full time!! Pygmys are very cute! Are you planning on making products from goat milk or spinning angora or just want some goats for pets? I am so glad you saved some trees!! I love trees and the shade they give! Clearing can be hard work!! But I am sure it must be so exciting to see the outcome of all your hard work!! Best wishes to you in all of it!!!
The typhoon is supposed to pass us but still cause some damage so we are on alert. The effects are supposed to hit in the morning so we will see! I dont mind during the week ...it is bettter then them ruining the whole weekend .

let us know as you choose the breed and plans for the goats!
Hugz!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  10:52:07 AM  Show Profile
BUTTERCUP,
Make sure we hear from you after this bad weather thing passes, are you near the water?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Talitha,
So have you been through a typhoon before? I am originally from Orlando & have stuck it out through some aweful hurricanes! Luckily I haven't had to go through a tornado, but we have had some close by,yikes!
I do want to make some goat products since my mom & her friends are really into natural products. I think I could eventually have a good selling market if I wanted to take that route rather than doing it for pleasure. Boer goats are generally good meat goats. There is a high demand growing in GA. There will definately be a couple that turn into pets!!!
My husband loved looking through those plans, we added them to a folder to refer to.
We have this one tree back on the backside on the property that looks great to climb up in & read a book! It's massive & has great limbs! It reminds me alot of the tree I practically grew up in as a child....great memories!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  5:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Nancy Jo,
Thank you so much! Yes I am close to the water, our home overlooks the ocean but we are up on a hill and maybe 3/4 of a mile to 1 mile from the actuall shore ( I am estimating here). The high winds have hit, so we all have to stay put indoors and ride it out. They just sent hubbie home from work. So far we have never lost water or electricity so , knock on wood, we should be just fine. I will be sure to let you all know when it is over and that we are safe!
Hugz,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  6:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Heather,
I love the sound of that tree!! I was a tree climber too!! I would carry my books, blankets and dolls up in the tree and stay there for hours reading, swinging, or playing house! I am hoping when we buy we can have some big old trees that will welcome the kids right up! So much fun to be up in a tree!

Yes I have been through many typhoons and huricanes, I used to live in Fl a long time ago. My uncle used to live in the keys with his family. Now most of my family on my dad's side live in the Orlando area. And when we lived in south Georgia on a hobby farm, a tornado tore through our farm...scariest thing ever!!!

What kind of products are you thinking? Like bath and body products or diary such as cheese and milk? I never knew goat meat was in demand anywhere in the USA, but then that is not something I would know!!

I am so glad your Hubbie liked the plans, I hope they helped! I am very excited about your place! Keep us posted!!
Hugz Always,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  04:52:50 AM  Show Profile
talitha,
My father still lives in orlando, actually Winter Springs. I use to do the same thing growing up in my tree! I once took some old sheets to tie to different limbs to make like walls. I remember there was this bird nest on my favorite limb once, but luckily the mama bird didn't mind me sitting up there right next to her & watching!
I haven't really decided on what products I want to make. I will probably dab into everything then find my favorite. I think I would probably try making cheese at least for just my house. I want to make our farm as self sufficent as possible. I know it will take time but I am glad to be starting it.
Stay safe!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Heather,
my uncle use to be a pastor of a church in Winter Springs...small world! Oh me too with the sheets and rooms in the trees! I never had the joy of watching a mama bird raising her babies, but was in them(the trees) all the time!

I think it is wonderful what you are wanting and planning on doing! I am thrilled for you! I want to make my own butter and cheese as well! But am planning on having a cow for that. But after all the talk of goats here and there on the site, I am thinking maybe I would enjoy having a goat for milk and stager her and the cow so I would have some sort of milk all the time...but am not sure yet..and I could always do two cows! If I thought I could do it alone or if my BIL comes to live with us then I would like to do EVERYTHING grow my own grains, sweetners, salt and so on (am not sure about the oil part though) But at least I think I am on a good path with the garden and hive and orchard and berries and chickens for eggs and cow for milk! How much further I go will depend on my health and help. But I think it is a wonderful way to live! I am happy for you!! And yes, it will take time, but it will be well worth it!!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  08:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Nancy Jo,
Thank you so much for your concern! They say the typhoon is past us now and we are off alert. We got some rain and wind, but nothing big. So we are safe and sound!
Thank you again!!
Hugz!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  3:29:52 PM  Show Profile
I love how my dreams are consumed with fencing layouts, or how i can look out my kitchen window and picture see little goats playing about! Really right now we are just waiting for the government to give us the green light on our project. Since we have a stream on our property that connects 100 yards down stream with a river we are eligible for grant money (yeah!!!). They will pay 80% of cost for fencing,good wood fence & field wire, i think with the barns, nutrition program, and even add a new well for the barn to have rather than use ours for the house! The catch is that we can't even start til we get there approval or they won't help us. So now we wait, patiently wait.

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
How fantastic that you can get grants for some of your costs - it all helps to bring the dream closer.
It's very exciting for us dreamers to be 'in' on the start of your farm - it's almost like doing it ourselves!
I think I'm leaning the same way as you, Talitha. I was always a cow person, but now I think why not have both! I have read that goat's milk is harder to make into butter, but other people seem to have no trouble. I suppose they are like cows, in that different breeds have different fat contents in their milk.
Please keep us posted, Heather, every step of the way - maybe even some pictures if you can!
Have you got any animals at all yet?
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Heather,
How wonderful and frustrating all at the same time!! How long do you think you will have to wait? And yes, I know what you mean...I often fall asleep or spend my quiet time reading and planning and dreaming it all into place! It brought a smile to my face when you said that you can "see" the little goats playing outside!!! (am so excited for you!) Let us know how it goes! I hope they get back to you with good news soon! Good luck!
Hugz,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  9:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am always so impressed with you who have the ideas and the stick-to-it-ness to apply for, and get!!!, grants. That is so exciting...sending you great wishes and thoughts. Any word yet?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  08:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,
Sorry I have taken so long to respond, but we have finally received RAIN!!!!!!! YEAH!!!! It has been wonderful! The grant money will probably not reach my hands til April of '07, ugh! Luckily we are able to build the shop,barn, 3 pastures before then. We are hoping to have a few goats taking up residence by December. I will add another reply to this topic to show you my barn layout I came up with. (Talitha thank you for the ideas, they were really handy!) This will be the first barn, we will probably have two more on the property. Thanks for all the support!

Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic The Rustic Star Farm Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page