Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  7:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's about time to do the final harvest. My corn was a failure this year, my pumpkins look great but my watermelon were stunted. My tomatoes did great but took forever to mature so I probably will only get a couple quarts of tomato sauce canned. My carrots are an unknown quantity but I think they didn't do so great an my peppers were a joke. My cabbage did well and my swiss chard was ridiculously successful.

Anyone else having to put their gardens to bed?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  03:38:22 AM  Show Profile
Putting mine to bed this weekend. With all the rain and hurricane flooding ans groundhog damage it was a bust. My tomatoes never ripened (except for one) I had a few decent peppers. My herbs did very well. The beans, peas and squash were eaten by the varmint. My sunflowers were gorgeous and I let the birds take the seed. My potatoes did well. I'll be cleaning up and haying down the beds soon. I am already planning next year's garden (Hope springs eternal)!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  05:02:53 AM  Show Profile
I only got about a saucepans worth of veges from mine. Hubby's still hopeful that there is potatoes out there, but I'm not. He's gonna try diggin for them this coming weekend. Otherwise it's just tillin and preppin for next year left to do. That suck's for a 50x100 foot garden!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  06:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Just finished pulling out dead plants and adding compost to till in. Got a good crop of tomatoes, about 2 bushels from 4 plants!!!! All did well except peas that got eaten up by the rabbits, and cukes. First garden I had in almost 30 years.Loved it, can't wait til spring to start all over!!!

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5258 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5258 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  06:32:38 AM  Show Profile
It makes me sad that so many folks gardens did not do well, Including my own small raised beds! I battled Horn worms and we had soo much rain in the spring and such intense heat in the summer months. Maybe next year will be better!

Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:03:51 PM  Show Profile
My Garden is just now, producing really well. So am gleaning everything I can before I have to put it to bed. Will probably wait until the first frost. Mine wasn't a total bust this year, nor was it a total success. Let's face it girls...our weather across the world just seems to be getting worse and worse every year...just such EXTREME weather systems. It's Crazy!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:30:43 PM  Show Profile
I still have some tomatoes coming on; as well as several rows of snaps I put in back in July; I caned 26 quarts of them the other day, and have another bucket to snap tonight. My corn flopped. I had some broccoli and cabbage; swiss chard, spinach and lettuce were really healthy. I planted WAY too many cukes, and so I have pickles coming out my ears. I had some carrots; but it was my first try; so maybe more next year. I had volunteer pumpkins and harvested them in July; and pureed them and froze them. I also had a few onions and 'taters. I ran out of canning jars and had to go buy three more dozen - and I am running out of room in my pantry and am stacking stuff on the floors now; since my MIL gave us canned peaches and chicken meat, too. It was a good year in my garden! :)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Just harvested the remaining red tomatoes, zuchini, lemon cukes, beets and cucumbers. Guess I better find a good recipe for the abudance of green tomatoes left!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile
We are getting another round of tomatoes. They are all pretty green, so we might have some fried green tomatoes soon. The squash is definitely a goner. We got about 4 good butternuts and the same count of the spaghetti squash. Cucumbers did really well. Our habaneros and red bell peppers are just now starting to ripen like crazy. We got some plastic to put over the pvc hoops we have over the peppers' raised bed so that we can keep them going after a little frost.

My first attempt at raising garlic turned out well. I still need to clean them up and store them properly. I dug them up when it was blistering hot, so I got my hardnecked and softnecked garlics mixed up together. I was just trying to get them dug up and back inside before I melted.

The horseradish should be about ready to dig up. We just need a free weekend to dig and process.

Hopefully this weekend we will be able to pull the top box off of our beehive and get some fresh honey as long as all of the comb looks like it is capped properly.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile
My tomatoes are just now getting close to ripe. I made green tomato salsa this weekend with all the ones that didn't even have hope of ripening. It has been in the 60's, overcast with rain for the last few days. Now the weather forecast is for 90 again this coming weekend - we'll see. Maybe I'll get some ripe tomatoes before it's too late!
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  7:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Hit and miss here all season. Got some great cucumbers (okay, way too many and I can't seem to give any away), tomatoes...eehh, green beans...eh, peas...busted, carrots...good, pumpkins are rockin and I will be able to start harvesting them soon and I'm praying the potatoes came out as well as the plants have led us to believe. :) Probably put ours to bed beginning to mid October depending on frost.

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  8:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is so odd that it is time to put the garden to bed. I feel like it wasn't that long ago that we planted the thing! Our weather here has been so odd this year and it looks like we are going to have an early and hard winter. I am already trying to decide what/if I want to plant next year. I am sure I will plant, but it will be the last garden we have at this house. Next year is our last year of renting if everything goes well. YAY! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  8:06:29 PM  Show Profile
My roma tomato & skinny eggplants was the best. The fat & round eggplant didn't do so well. My grape tomato did pretty well also. My sweet pepper not well. My baby carrot & roselle not so well. my sweet mint and basil was good.

blog: http://nj-nyc-3inna.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Saying goodbye to the garden. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page