Page: of 2

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  4:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Darlys!!! Good grief!! Time's running away like a herd of wild antelope!!! It is definitely time to put on the elf hat and get busy! I am going to upcycle paper bags into gift tags and jar labels with colored ink and potato stamping this year! I've done this before and had lots of fun making funny and old fashioned looking tags. I'm looking for a source for gunny sacks or gunny material to make gift bags out of too. I just asked for an invite to "Pinterest" so that i can use their visual photo post board style pages to lay out all of my Christmas and other holiday recipes and plans! Everyone is getting fleecy hand-made slippers, spicy cider butter and some other personalized home made gifts! I'm sending off an email to an Idaho farm to order a couple of pheasants, a small turkey and some farm-raised elk and making my lists and checking them twice while I'm at it Ho!Ho!Ho! and pretty please keep sharing!

I was shocked when I friend mentioned in an email just a few minutes ago that tomorrow it will be 130 days til Christmas eve! I'm sitting here in a sundress and flip-flops planning a weekend picnic with hubby and the last thing that was on my mind with Christmas! And me such a Christmas elf too!

So, its time to start making jar gifts and buying little pretties for Christmas baskets. Time to start readying all of the beloved Holiday recipes, trying out new ones and dusting off my elf suit!

So for all of the little celebrations in life, I give you two of my favorite fancy recipes

Baked Camembert with Hazelnuts and Dried Cherries ~

1 whole round of Camembert cheese
1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or walnuts

With a sharp knife remove the top of the rind from the Camembert
Mix the cherries and the nuts in a bowl and liberally sprinkle over the top of the cheese. Pat gently so that the fruit and nuts stick to the cheese. Now wrap and chill for about and hour.

Preheat the oven to 350. Unwrap the cheese and place it in a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese gives a bit when pressed lightly in the centre. You have to watch it like a hawk so that the cheese doesn't start melting and running onto the sheet.

Place warm cheese on a nice platter and serve with sliced baguette!

~ And ~

Fancy Bread Pudding with apples, raisins and figs

Serves 6

2/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped dried figs
1/4 cup Marsala or hot tea

9 or 10 slices of bread
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups milk (do not use lowfat or nonfat)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped

Combine raisins, figs and Marsala/Tea in small bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lavishly butter an 8-cup soufflé dish. Spread 1 side of each bread slice generously with butter. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Transfer to prepared dish. Mix sugar, eggs and egg yolk in large bowl. Whisk in cream and next 4 ingredients. Stir in apple, raisins and figs with Marsala/Tea. Pour over bread and stir to combine. Let stand 5 minutes. Set soufflé dish in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to large pan to come 1 inch up sides of soufflé dish. Bake until custard is set and top is golden and puffed slightly in center, approximately 1 3/4 hours. Serve warm.

Let's share some of our favorite holiday season recipes and ideas for home made gifts and decorating !

huggy-wugs!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Edited by - Annika on Oct 29 2011 08:16:58 AM

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5082 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5082 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile
oh, Both of these sound wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!

imagine....
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile
EEEEEK!!!!

LOL!

Actually, thanks for the heads up, Annika - I had NO idea! Lately the days and weeks and months have just been running together. Guess I'd better get crackin'!

That sounds like such a yummy treat!

I'm offering toffee cookie bars - remember??? :)

Layer chocolate chip cookie dough in a 9 x 13 pan, bake for 20 minutes.

In the microwave, melt caramel chips as directed on package.

Pour melted caramel over baked cookie dough. Top with crushed Heath bar crunch and mini chocolate chips. Bake 10(?) minutes more.

Let cool completely, then cut into bars. Yum! SUGAR HIGH!!!!

BTW - I'm sitting here with cold hands, cold feet and a cold nose... It's really cold. Just came up to grab my sweatshirt, and got my down blankies out of the cupboard this afternoon! 'Hoping to get some apple-picking in on Sunday when it goes up to 71 degrees! LOL! I guess you could say - ahem - it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas here in Western PA! Well, enjoy your picnic and the warm sun with your hubby! Please let me know when it's time to don my elfin hat and bell-tinkling booties! *<|:)}

Love and hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 16 2011 5:10:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile
I was just sitting here thinking about how Christmas always creeps up on me. Thanks for the heads-up. I need to get cracking. Oregon isn't cold like PA, but winter is coming.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  6:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder!!! I forgot all about gettin ready with life gettin in the way like it tends to.

I have to get the soap goin that I'm makin for everyone. I need to catalog my jellies and see what I have for extras for gifts. Then I need to get started on my list and organizing what I already have done.

WOW! I still have thanksgiving dinner to do and I haven't started on the menu yet!

I will be makin 'Smores On A Stick' for sure.
Melt chocolate, mash graham crackers, and your almost done.
Put sucker sticks in marshmellows and dip in chocolate then roll in graham crackers.
Let setup on waxed paper, then enjoy!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  04:18:14 AM  Show Profile
130 days? Holy moly. Thanks for the reminder! Looks like I've got work to get started...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  07:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm... S'mores on a stick! That sounds really yummy, too, Angela! I actually have a recipe for S'mores bars, but I just know my guys will love it on a stick! I can't wait to try it!!! Thank you for sharing!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  08:28:31 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Nini, I have your nummy treats down in my cooking file as "Nini's incredibly decadent toffee bars" *HUGS*

I also want to share this wonderfully useful site of organizational holiday print-outs, recipes and tips.
http://christmas.organizedhome.com/

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  11:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Something else we do with the marshmellows is Pie On A Stick. You get the strawberry flavored marshmellows and use white or regular chocolate, then dip some in graham crackers and some in coconut. It does really taste like pie!

I'm thinking of making my own marshmellows so I can have different flavors, peppermint, blueberry, grape, cherry, caramel, to make our own 'pie' flavors! Making marshmellows was fun when I was a kid working with grandma!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  4:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Angela, I was just thinking of making some flavored marshmallows! Great farmgirl minds think alike Here are the two recipes from my huge file of found recipes that I like to use

~ Handmade Marshmallows ~

2 tablespoons gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Some confectioners' sugar, for coating

Butter an 8x8-inch square baking dish. Line with waxed paper, then butter waxed paper, and lightly coat with confectioners' sugar.Dissolve gelatin in cold water, in the bowl of a stand mixer, using whisk attachment.In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, whisk together granulated sugar, boiling water and salt; bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Stop whisking, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 236 degrees F. Pour syrup slowly over gelatin. Add vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed, for 20 minutes, or until thick and cool. Butter a spatula, and scrape marshmallow cream into prepared dish; smooth the surface. Freeze overnight, then remove waxed paper from dish, lifting out marshmallow. Peel waxed paper off, then cut into squares, on a cutting board, using a buttered-sharp knife. Lightly dust marshmallows with additional confectioners' sugar.

Makes a bunch mallows!

~ Fluffy Marshmallows ~

Makes about 96 1-inch cubed marshmallows

About 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 1/2 envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water, divided
2 cups granulated sugar (Organic cane sugar worked just fine)
1/2 cup light corn syrup ( use rice syrup or agave syrup instead)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites or reconstituted powdered egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla (alternately: 1/2 of a scraped vanilla bean, 2 teaspoons almond or mint extract or maybe even some natural food coloring for tinting. I've used orange water, rose water, and many other flavors and they are all just delicious)

Oil bottom and sides of a 13- by 9- by 2-inch rectangular metal baking pan and dust bottom and sides with some confectioners’ sugar. In bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold cold water, and let stand to soften.In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, syrup, second 1/2 cup of cold water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240°F, about 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. With standing or a hand-held electric mixer beat mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about six minutes if using standing mixer or about 10 minutes if using hand-held mixer.

In separate medium bowl with cleaned beaters beat egg whites (or reconstituted powdered whites) until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat whites and vanilla (or your choice of flavoring) into sugar mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into baking pan and don’t fret if you don’t get it all out. Sift 1/4 cup confectioners sugar evenly over top. Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm, at least three hours, and up to one day. Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board. Lifting up one corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and ease onto cutting board. With a large knife trim edges of marshmallow and cut marshmallow into roughly one-inch cubes. Sift remaining confectioners’ sugar back into your now-empty baking pan, and roll the marshmallows through it, on all six sides, before shaking off the excess and packing them away.

Making cookies and candy, old fashioned taffy and marshmallows with kids can be so much messy fun! Of course my hubby and I probably make a bigger mess than most 5 year olds, but what fun!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  4:49:07 PM  Show Profile
We are definitely making the homemade marshmallows! What fun! Tis the season!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  10:37:03 PM  Show Profile
I am NOT in the mood for Christmas yet. I know....it will come regardless lol But we've had such a bad cold rainy and stormy summer....it felt like Fall was here in July already bbbrrr.

Thanks for the recipes though, they do sound good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  1:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Here's another recipe that I find easy to make and it tastes just like eating fudge. You can make cupcakes with this.

"Perfectly chocolate chocolate cake"
2 C sugar
1 3/4 C all purpose flour
3/4 C Hershey's cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C boiling water

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 nine-inch pans, 13X9 baking pan, three 8-inch pans(for three layer cake), bundt pan or muffin tins.

Blend sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Stir in boiling water and pour into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool ten minutes and remove to wire racks for complete cooling before frosting.

"perfectly chocolate chocolate frosting"

1 stick (1/2 C) butter
2/3 C Hershey's cocoa
3 C Powdered sugar
1/3 C milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk if needed. Stir in vanilla and frost cake or cupcakes.

Makes about two cups of frosting.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh that sounds soooo good! I have several local friends who are chocoholics like me and this would be such a lovely gift to surprise them with! Thank you for sharing!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  2:51:20 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome. And thanks for the marshmallow recipe. I have been wanting to make some. I know that homemade is going to be better than what's in the store.

Go to Top of Page

justbe
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kris
Garland Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:31:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you for the wonderful recipes. I can't wait to get in the kitchen.

Kris
www.krishundt.com
Farmgirl #1761

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Love all the recipes. Can't wait to make them.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  7:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! I just added up days 'til Christmas on the calendar .... 30 in November, 24 (to Christmas Eve) in December, and 27 more days this month. I've got to get moving ... that's only *81* days left now. Time to put on Jingle Bells.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5082 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5082 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I have copied them all!!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  4:35:12 PM  Show Profile
80 days!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I've just decorated for Halloween. Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I better start making my list. Thanks for the reminder.
Happy October and Happy Halloween.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  4:53:31 PM  Show Profile
I found a cool recipe for Santa's Whiskers cookies and now I'm going to make them every year, once I did out my seasonal recipes I will have to post it, they are soooo good!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Today has been windy and chilly so I started on my Christmas list to see what crafts I need to do yet... It's early but I still don't think I have enough time! :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7586 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7586 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  3:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks they really sound good. I will try them soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Killarney

oh, Both of these sound wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!

imagine....

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or in the life of another" Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7586 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7586 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  3:06:03 PM  Show Profile
wow all these recipes sound delicious, I want to try them all.
Thanks

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or in the life of another" Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Annika thanks for sharing the web site for Christmas tips and tags. Will be using that one. Ladies thanks for sharing all the goodie ideas. Will make some really nice gifts. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Today it is seriously looking like autumn, while the weather is still mild, leaves are falling everywhere. I am going to put up two trees this year, one bought from a local charity and hopefully one little live tree, or if I end up not being able to afford one this year, a good old branch in a bucket of rocks for the bedroom! I took a slow walk around the farm that I live on and took stock of what I can use for natural decorations. My huge Ponderosa had a good sized scattering of cones beneath it, which I gathered up, There are lots and lots of wild rose bushes with artful scraggly branches and beautiful rosehips, there are pines with enough lovely growth that I can carefully prune off enough for swags and other decorative greenery. My home needs a good coat of paint, but it will look country holiday pretty with a huge out door wreath on the wall. Not only am I poor as dirt this year, but I'm all into having as green a Christmas as I can. I'm happy that my pantry is well stocked and tomorrow morning, I'll go pick more apples to turn into gifts and more cans of goodies for my pantry!. I am going to make more apple butter, ginger spice jelly and jalapeno apple jelly! So, because pumpkins are pretty affordable, this is what I'm doing with the seeds. Enjoy

Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

1 cup pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 to 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to your taste, I like things salty)

Place pumpkin seeds in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat
Stir frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until seeds make a crackling noise, some will even pop
Remove pan from heat and stir in olive oil, then chili powder and salt
Cool and serve

Makes 1 cup of spicy pumpkin seeds (this is also good with peanuts!)

Happy Autumn!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic 56 days til Christmas!!!!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: