Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I want to know where you took a Wilderness Lit class. That sounds awesome! What were some of the things you read for it?

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  5:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Trail Dancer--I just read your post on Huckleberry Finn. My grandpa supposedly swam across the Mississippi when he was young, and I personally know two men who have swam out to islands in the Mississippi and the river here is about a mile wide. So it can be done. My biggest concern would be from the pollution but I guess it wasn't a worry in the old days.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  11:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, prairiehawk. I hadn't checked this thread and missed your post.

I finished "All Quiet on the Western Front". Quite a different perspective from "our" side. It sounds as if the German army was not well-fed at all. My father-in-law fought in France and I don't remember him saying too much about the food although he did shoot deer for the guys. Also that the two sides sort of had a schedule--we'll shoot at you for a while, then you shoot at us. I'm sure it was awful for everyone involved.

This book makes me very thankful that the soldiers suffered for the rest of us. I am so grateful that I do not have to be cold, under-dressed, underfed, wet, shot at--all the horrible things of war. I appreciate what I have here in America.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have served and who are still serving.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  3:58:37 PM  Show Profile
I love Steinbeck, too. His books are both extremely accessible, beautifully written, and deep all at the same time. I just finished Travels With Charley, which is about his cross-country trip with his beloved dog. It gives a glimpse of America that is now lost in the past, for better and worse. I had always wanted to read it and was glad I did.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Reading the Classics Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page