Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Dr. Oz, arsenic in apple juice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dr. Oz, arsenic in apple juice Next Topic  

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  03:54:14 AM  Show Profile
Anyone watch this segment the other day? About how much arsenic is in apple juice - that comes from China. Dh watched this with me (he never watches Dr. Oz) we were both kind of shocked about it. Now I'm hearing on the news (I missed that segment) that they're calling him an alarmist.

Apple juice has always been a treat in our house. But I know some kids that drink it A LOT.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/214971/20110916/apple-juice.htm
quote:
In a statement, the FDA said, "There is no evidence of any public health risk from drinking these juices."
Really? Not yet at least. Arsenic in anything can't be a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  04:37:23 AM  Show Profile
My pediatrician almost cried tears of joy at Owen's 2 year check up because I told him that we don't have juice in our house, unless it's from the Jack LaLane. He said that he tells people they should just give kids candy instead, because it's more fun than juice.

We let him have it about a year ago, so I buy juice boxes about once a month. I saw made in China a few months ago, on HANSENS!!and it sort of blew my mind. I live on the other side of the pass from Yakima, Wa.

I need to go back to being really picky.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  06:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Apple seeds naturally contain cyanide so I am not sure where the arsenic comes from. I really believe that most juices found in the grocery aisles are unnecessary dietary junk food. They are just concentrated sugar water that offer little or no nutritional benefit. Unless the juice is made at home, from organic greens and fruit with NO sugar.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  07:45:48 AM  Show Profile
I watched Dr. Oz on fox news and he said he was worried about the long term effect of juice. He said it has 3 times more than water. Personally, I do not buy food made in China, or anywhere other than the USA. I was shocked to see the straws we use at work are now made in China.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  08:18:44 AM  Show Profile
There was also a report on ABC about the two types of arsenic (organic and inorganic) and that the study did not cover the difference. One is fine, the other is not. I think the biggest thing as always is to moderate what foods you eat and try to know where they come from. We make our own apple juice so I'm not so worried. Another report on CBS this morning praised an apple a day with studies of reducing strokes in 52% of the test subjects.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  09:39:44 AM  Show Profile
It comes from China??? Enough said...do not, will not ever , buy anything from China, period!!!

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:43:21 AM  Show Profile
Don't want to bash China, but I think they are trying to kill us all. Really. I try to stay away from any foods from them. Why we have to be getting any foods from that far away is way beyond me. I make my own apple cider and it's raw unfiltered, unpastuerized. I always hated to see babies with bottles of apple juice. So bad for the teeth anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile
When my oldest granddaughter was old enough to have anything but formula I told my daughter NOT to give her juice....So instead of doing as I ask she diluted it by half with water. Well when my oldest granddaughter had to go to the dentist for the first time the dentist told my daughter that her daughter had 4 cavities and they were in the front teeth....He also told her NOT to give her juice especially in a sippy cup. So she came to me and said I was right when I told her not to give Parker juice....Did anyone hear about the watermelons exploding...They injected to much growth hormone in them...lol
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  4:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I watched this segment. It didn't surprise me too much but then my kids are all grown. But I can certainly see why it'd be a huge concern for parents who regularly give their kids apple juice. I'm now left wondering about all other juices such as grape juice and such.......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was left wondering why arsenic is found in apple juice production when I thought arsenic is a poison to control rodent population. I can understand pesticides, but not arsenic. That is the part that got me and I wish they'd have explained this.

Hubby said that the morning following the program some companies who produce apple juice were bellyaching and whining about the show. Hmmmmmm........sure makes one wonder, eh?

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  4:55:15 PM  Show Profile
I linked the exploding melon story to this board in the first place Deb, so funny!

This story makes me very pleased that I followed my gut and didn't give my kids apple juice until they were old enough to drink it out of a tumbler, and even then the first time was on my pediatrician's advice to get over the flu (BRAT diet) WIC gives me juice, but thankfully you don't have to get those cans on it anymore so I get fresh orange juice instead, and to tell the truth, the kids don't get too much of it! lol. I think I have the only children in the county who drink green tea more than juice or soda.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
The FDA came out and said it was well below acceptable levels. It would think no level would. Be acceptable in food. I suspect that it comes from the water they use to make the juice. We have a well and there's arsenic in our water. I use bottled to drink and cook with. I now that it can be naturally occuring in the ground, but how much exposure is too much. I never gave my kids juice either. They drank milk. Mine, then cows.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  11:44:48 PM  Show Profile
I had briefly caught a discussion on "The View" where they said that less than 2% of the apple juice imported from China had actually been tested by the FDA. Isn't that something? And yet, we are to understand that it is "safe." Nice. REAL nice.

My first thought was as Margaret's - I knew there was cyanide in the seeds... I looked up arsenic and found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic It must be something that they are using when processing the apples OR naturally occurring in the apples because of all the toxins in their environment. Eeeew! What a thing!

My doctor had always said from the time our son was a baby that apple juice is basically non-nutritive, and basically sugar water - a BIG no-no!

Just FYI - I had started a post last week because when purchasing Juicy Juice last week in the market, my son found "Product of China" branded into the top of the plastic bottle. It was blatant, but hard to see because it blended in with the color of the juice... If he hadn't seen it, I surely never would have noticed - it sure wasn't plain and obvious on the label! Gotta watch those labels closely, girls... The more you investigate, the more you'll learn just how many foods we buy are in fact from China, and we don't even realize it. It really, really bugs the heck out of me.

- Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  12:03:15 AM  Show Profile
A good USA based apple cider we LOVE, is made here in Kansas, in Louisburg. It's only seasonal though as they only make what they grow that year and once it's gone, it's gone till the next year. But, look it up. They have awesome apple butter and pumpkin butter as well. It's a little more expensive then the stuff from china. But, it's so worth it. It taste awesome. And for sure more then sugar water, you can taste/feel the texture in it and it's the full stuff! And ohhhhhhhhhh so yummy. We only get it for autumn treats around here. But, oh it's soooooo good!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  12:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Growing up we never had juice in the house. I grew up on milk. Now I still never have any juice in the house...yeah orange juice once in a blue moon lol. I drink one glass and the rest? Gets thrown out. I am NOT a juice drinker...prefer coffee

If I had children I would buy a juicer and make my own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  02:47:26 AM  Show Profile
We have cut out all juices except those we make in our own juicer. Also, we are buying local produce. I have a hard time trusting the FDA when you look at their merry-go-round of executives that move from Monsanto to the FDA and then back to Monsanto.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  07:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Marian - I am just wondering... How much of your food and other products there in the Netherlands is imported from other countries, and what countries? I always imagine the Netherlands as this beautiful place and I don't know why, but just imagined that your country is quite self-sustaining. I never really think of other countries as importing as many products as we do in the US, so I'm really very interested!!! Please share with us your experience with this! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Makes the whole phrase "We're having Chinese tonight" take on a whole new meaning
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile
I wondered how far you all were going to go with this topic! I saw a post about it somewhere else and just knew it wasnt over!
I think the chinese are awesome cooks, I love the way they prepare food, and I've even said suppose we give them all the food used for their recipes in exchange they cook it all up for us! cook for us eggrolls, and spicy vegetable, steaming hot like we like it with lo mein noodles!
I see there is alot of poverty in china...and can anyone deny how good they can cook?
What are we good at as an american population?
I dont know, really...looking for feedback.
Maybe growing fruit? Canning? I saw an entire orchard in PA once totally abandoned. I noticed there were tons of really large red apples on those trees in an abandoned apple forest.
I was thinking maybe this toxic substance is coming from the seeds;perhaps they are juicing the entire fruit and then straining it.
I used to give my little baby the kiss of the apple, the largest best first cut, he would hold it and taste it, so cute. as I was weaning him I would give him various things to taste on his tongue. I also think he rather enjoyed the apples texture on his gums.
Eating apples is way more fun than drinking apple juice!
Except maybe cider...anyone got any recipes for cider?

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  8:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I did not see this episode, but consider this. I found out whe I began juicing that apple seeds...no matter where they come from, contain small amounts of arsenic and should be discaded before juicing. Perhaps that is not being done at the factory level.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dr. Oz, arsenic in apple juice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page