Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  11:49:37 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I have worked so hard the past few years building up our soil and we finally have a decent garden that is producing alot.

The past 2 evenings, deer have been dining out

I harvested our onions (even though they weren't as large as we would like) the green beans (that I could salvage - to freeze), and cucumbers. The tomatoes didn't even make it to ripening yet. (everything the deer have been feasting on)

My question:

I still have about 20 pumpkins and several spaghetti squash and some jalapenos, serranos and banana pepper plants that aren't quite ready to harvest (a few more days).

~Should I harvest them now in hopes that they will continue to ripen? (before the deer get to them)

or

~Should I place tarps over them at night?

I want to save as much as I can from what we have left. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  12:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Put bars of original Dial soap around your plants and the deer should leave them alone. I have my whole garden surrounded with bars hanging from stakes and the deer stay out! I simply drill a hole through the middle and string it on a piece of twine, then tye it to a nail I have in the top of a stake. Ta-Da! Deer repelant!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2903 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2903 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  12:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Sharon
If you have a dog, brush him around the garden. Dog hair repels deer & bunnies. Also (ahem) if you live in the country with no close neighbors, & hubs is up to it. have him pee the perimeter of the garden. My hubby is none too shy to do this & this is the 1st year the bunnies have not decimated my beans. But if you live in the suburbs...Maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Due to the weather and getting a new garden put in, we planted late so I'm in the same position as you as far as having unripened produce in my garden. We were due for a cold snap last night so DH and I covered up the tender plants that we were worried about. There always seems to be several warm weeks after the first killing frost so we try to help our plants thru that frost so they can continue to produce for a while longer.

Lisa, I may try your (ahem) suggestion. We aren't worried about bunnies but we do have ground squirrels that seem to think the garden is their personal buffet! So far the antelope don't appear interested so I'm not too worried about them.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:06:11 AM  Show Profile
We use netting. Lots and lots of netting. It can be unsightly at times, but it is very effective. The deer are absolutely thick here, and manage to gobble up most everything, but since I started netting it all they have gotten nothing.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  4:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for your tips:)

I have placed a tarp on everything they have not gotten into for the past couple of nights. The night before last we had the sprinkler going. That seemed to deter them a bit.

My dog likes to roll in the garden I would think that they could pick up on her scent. My honey's not up for the other option. I like the netting idea until we can get a deer fence. There's a possibility that we may move in the next 6 months so I don't want to put one up yet. My husband does landscaping and has tried the soap thing in the gated communities but it hasn't deterred the deer there.

Ground squirrels, yes them too! I had been smelling melon in the evening but didn't see any evidence of it chewed upon UNTIL we decided to turn over a small melon. Aha! those little stinkers!

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your tips. I appreciate you all!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Also putting plastic grocery bags on a string around your garden perimeter works.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile
as does putting old dvd's on a string stringing them around the garden.
...no animals for me last year or this.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  6:35:23 PM  Show Profile
predator urine, you should be able to buy it at any sporting goods/feed store or hardware store...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13647 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13647 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
The dog hair ON the plants has helped keep the deer from destroying our plants.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  9:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Clean your hair brushes out and also use that hair to scatter around the garden.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  06:43:13 AM  Show Profile
None of these things are going to work long term. They may deter for a day or two. I suggest harvest asap on the peppers and cover the squash at night then invest in your garden by putting up a fence this winter! Fencing is truly the only thing that is going to keep the deer out. If you don't you will be in for heartache.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:09:13 AM  Show Profile
Usually you can put green tomatoes in the sun and they'll redden up, FYI :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What would you do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page