Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Round # 4 Heart Shaped YoYo's 2/2/2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Round # 4 Heart Shaped YoYo's 2/2/2 Next Topic
Page: of 6

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  9:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know either...lol...but I know it is an old craft...when I looked it up...seems like they were used to make bedspreads in the 30's. I have everyones addresses now and will be emailing out the list tomorrow...There will be a total of 7 of us.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Debi Carr
True Blue Farmgirl

750 Posts

Debora
Centreville Michigan
USA
750 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  10:50:44 PM  Show Profile
OK YoYo Sisters this is what I found ~
The Yo-Yo quilt was a popular style of quilt in America from the 1920-40's,. Yo-Yos, or tiny circles of fabric , were gathered up at the edges and sewn together to create a three- dimensional effect. Yo-Yo quilts were popular because women could carry the little circles of fabric with them and make Yo-Yos whenever they had a free moment.
Another way to explain the popularity of the Yo-yo quilt may be its association with te toy called the Yo-Yo, very popular in the1930-40s. There are many theories or ideas about how long the Yo-Yo has been in existence. But we know that a wooden toy with a string looped around the center axis was developed in the Phillipines over 100 years ago. Some people believe that the Yo-Yo comes from the Filipino word for "come-come" or "return". In the 1920s a man named Pedro Flores brought a Filipino Yo-Yo to the United States. A businessman named Donald Duncan bought the Filipino Yo-Yo Company around 1928. In 1932 Mr. Duncan received a trademark for the word Yo-Yo.
And my Sisters this is your history lesson for this week ~ No quiz required. LOL

Farmgirl Hugs,
Debora #1983
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  11:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Megan thanks for the question! And Debi Carr thanks for the History Lesson. Soooooo my Yo-Yo Mama's I
wonder who first figured out that you could do a Heart Shape?????? Because I like "All Things Hearts"...
I love making the Heart Shaped Yo-Yo's better than the round ones...but that is my personal preferance.

My current Secret Sister...sent me some teeny tiny heart shaped yo-yo's that are just adorable...and my first thought was..."oh, her poor fingers must have gotten so cramped!" But they are so darn cute!

Deb...thank you for the No Quiz Reguired...I'm much too busy. :+)

One of our MJF Sisters put out a book on making Crocheted yo-yo afghans I think it was. For the life of me I can't remember what
sister it was but I did see her book in one of my Annie's Attic
Order Magazines. Just some trivia...if you didn't know they crocheted them too.

Hugs My Queens of Hearts,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 20 2011 11:59:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  03:53:16 AM  Show Profile
debi thank you for the history lesson!!!my introduction to yo yo's was thru the remnants of a pillow cover made by my first husband's grandmother!i am just intrigued by them! and, of course, the vintage fabric those particular yo yo's were made of!
i was never talented enough to make a toy yoyo "come come"!something in the wrist????

love the knowledge and humor in this group and sooooooo glad today not to have a quiz!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Debi Carr
True Blue Farmgirl

750 Posts

Debora
Centreville Michigan
USA
750 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  07:18:43 AM  Show Profile
Peggy , I have the crochet Yo-yo book, I haven't attempted them yet.
I too love yo-yos , maybe because it does go with my love of the Depression Era !
Hugs,
Debi #1983
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  07:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Yo-Yo ladies
I am so glad you let me join all of you. It sounds like a lot of fun. I also had no idea what to do with them at first.I was thinking table runner with the fall and another runner with the Christmas. What do you ladies think? Thanks for the history lesson and the no test required.

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  1:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I sent out the email with the address of the 8 ladies we have this time. I haven't sent it out to Susan H yet because I don't have her email...If anyone didn't get it let me know, could always be I typed the email addy incorrectly....thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile
ouch! nov 15th is fast approaching! how are we all doing on getting our yo yo's done? i'm not ready to mail yet!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Debi, thanks for the history on yoyo's. That was very helpful. I really missed not being part of the 2and2 swap. Just too much traveling and too many funerals during this time. Hopefully, next one. (Of course, there will be a next one...right)

Can't wait to see photos of the swap.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Debi Carr
True Blue Farmgirl

750 Posts

Debora
Centreville Michigan
USA
750 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  08:06:12 AM  Show Profile
I have had mine all done and ready to mail, I just haven't made it to the post office yet. Hopefully this weekend sometime .

Farmgirl Hugs,
Debi #1983
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I don't have mine done yet, will have them ready to mail on the 15th for sure. Last time had them out early but this time had baby presents to get done first...but hey as long as they are out by 15th, I'm not late..lol...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies...My Sweet Yo-Yo Mamas...I had mine finished until we got the two new girls...now I just need to make theirs. My problem at the moment is finding them in the boxes out in the garrage that I still haven't unpacked yet. LOL

But I think I can still get mine out by the fifteen.

The move was insane but the worst part is behind me now. PTL!

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Debi Carr
True Blue Farmgirl

750 Posts

Debora
Centreville Michigan
USA
750 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  6:47:00 PM  Show Profile
OK Ladies , I made it to the post office. Your yo-yos are on their way !

Farmgirl Hugs ,
Debi #1983
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  7:58:18 PM  Show Profile
i made my first yo yo's tonite! um....they really aren't too bad! but--i need BIG buttons!!!!!!!!

so my question now is--is everyone getting buttons this round????

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  12:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Margo...I do believe that everyone is getting buttons.

If you go on my blog site where I have step by step directions on making yo-yo's...you might find the
secret to tightening up the center so you don't have to use BIG buttons. LOL

OK Debi...looking forward to getting your yo-yo's!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  07:11:03 AM  Show Profile
peg i used your blog which is the best! however- it seems to me that my gathered material is taking a lot more room than i think it should! i don't have "holes"--i just figure i should cover the gathers!
i was having fun til my cat started helping so i put it away last nite- have a bunch done but no where near all! will be good tho!!!!!

thanx for introducing me to this!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Margo... the gathers are what make them pretty. I am sure that you are doing great! LOL!
You'll be a pro...by the end of this swap...Trust Me! :+)

Later girls!
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  6:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Margo, I agree with Peggy, I did my first yo yo's last time with a little nudge from Peggy, she created that wonderful tutorial for me and I am so glad she chose to share it with others, I felt like you with my first one's too, but I bet you are doing great...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:04:09 AM  Show Profile
well,,,i'm coming along! got alot accomplished last nite watching Hallmark Christmas movies! when i speak of the gathers i mean the very tippy top gathers where you pull the thread --not the pretty gathers around the edges!
but i think i have a new problem...i am using scrap fabric meaning i did not buy any - which is a good thing-but everyone is going to be getting two DIFFERENT fabric yo yos from me in each category and in some cases 4 ppl will get one kind and 4 will get another- does anyone care?????
if anyone really wants both of theirs -ex both fall- to be the same please say so here and i will package accordingly...otherwise it's random fabric!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  7:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Margo, I'm sure that what ever you do will be perfect, Some of us do different fabric and some the same, so don't get concerned about the fabric...lol..just enjoy.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Margo...Penny is right, not a problem girl. You are the Artist and we take what You make! And we will
all be blessed! So don't get stressed! (and yes I know it rhymes) :+)

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  05:53:16 AM  Show Profile
ty!
yo yo's are done- need to sew buttons on!
my fingers hurt last nite so i didn't tackle buttons!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh my!!!!! debi carrs wonderful envelope of yo yos was waiting in the mail box today!!!!! i love em!!! thanx!!!!!

school last nite and tonite and dr appts today so mine are not yet buttoned but soon!!!!

such fun!!!!
peg thanx for ghostessing this swap and giving us the wonderful tutorial!!!!!!!!!!!!
i snuck into the thrift store today and snatched up some fabric remnants for future yo yos!!!!! shhhh!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  11:55:54 PM  Show Profile

Debi Carrs adorable 2/2/2 Yo-Yo's!!! Love them Deb and adorable buttons!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:29:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Yo-Yo Ladies

With everything going on I have not gotten my yo yos done. Close but not quite. They are not as pretty as Debi's. I am having a little trouble with the top part but working on it. I will have them out in the mail by the 15th. I have put everything aside till they are done!

Dianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Round # 4 Heart Shaped YoYo's 2/2/2 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page