Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Applique--what's the best adhesive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Applique--what's the best adhesive? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  11:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls--wondering if you can help me. I have some plain white long sleeve tees for Violet and I have some awesome scraps from fat quarters. Was thinking I could "dress them up" with some applique animals.

I can make patterns and cut them out, but what's the best way to go about it after that?

Adhesive?
Sewing around the edges?

I want it to be washable and easy care, so any help you girls can give is much appreciated. This would be my first foray into applique.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  12:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, how about both. Eleanor Burns does a neat trick of putting the single sided sticky facing the front of the item to be appliqued, but does not iron. She then stitches on the line around the outside and cuts about 1/8 inch from the stitching. She then makes a slit in the sticky and turns the applique and irons it onto whatever you are using. Gives the applique some "breathing room" and it isn't stiff. She then stitches around the outside with a zig-zag stitch. I hope my explanation is clear. I've done it and it works really well.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome, Betty--thank you for your advice! I get your explanation and I think that can be accomplished with my very beginner attempt :) I just wanted to cut out a little deer and maybe an owl with some flowers to make them a little more fun. Otherwise, they're kind of boyish looking with jeans.

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  4:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Jonni Bettys idea works really well but another way I like to do it is with Steam A Seam 2, it's an iron on adhesive that is light in weight, after ironing the applique in place you can straight or zig zap stitch around the edges. On kids clothes I like having things "stuck" on as well as sewn.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  12:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kathy! I printed out this thread so I can start my project this weekend. Going to find some little animal shapes and see what I come up with! You two are a great help!!!

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  05:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
If you want, email me, and I will send you some vintage animal appliques in the mail.
Not sure I have owls or deer, but I have some cool ones.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  05:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Mary! That's very generous of you to offer! I don't mind what you have--your kindness is immense!

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile
I like Steam-a-Seam 2 also. The horsehead wallhanging I made used that product. It's nice because it's tacky sticky on both sides so you place your piece on the fabric, iron it on, cut it out, place it on the shirt/quilt/whatever and peel the paper backing off and iron again when you like the placement. On the wallhangings I use transparent thread on the top because there are so many different fabrics.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the visual, Loyce--it really does help. On my list of "to do's" this weekend is to get some steam a seam 2!

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Kathy's suggestion is a very good one, especially if you have some very narrow parts of the applique. She is using double sided sticky paper that is very flexible. I've used it too and it works very well.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  11:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for the instructions. Have been wanted to do some applique on some shirts to spruce them up a bit, but didn't know much about how to go about doing it. Will print off this thread to keep on hand when I get around to doing it. Thanks so much again.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  9:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Just make sure what product you use is the "light" version. If you use a really thick or "heavy" version when you sew through it, it will gum up your needle badly.... When reading the package it will usually say for sewing or for non sewing.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  10:01:20 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I have seen for this is called Wonder Under. I will have to look for the Steam a Seam 2. Sounds easy!

farm girl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Applique--what's the best adhesive? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page