leigh12354
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Leigh
Riverside CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile
This is such a good convo. I have learned a lot from this thank you all for your input. I'm curious though how much beet pulp do you give a horse? Does it go by the weight of the horse?
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Leigh!
Here is a great link that gives you great info about feeding beet pulp to horses:

http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/beet-pulp.html

Hope this helps!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  2:09:18 PM  Show Profile
If you can, get him off the alfalfa. You could be setting up for founder where alfalfa is a very rich legume. try sticking to timothy/clover hay mix with some hay stretcher or a complete feed with timothy/clover hay.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  2:14:18 PM  Show Profile
If you use beet pulp, use only a small amount of it. I helped a close friend of mine rescue her own horse that she free leased (long story won't get into it). The woman that had the mare had fed nothing but beet pulp to her, besides what little grazing she had available. When my friend got her mare back and finally got her off the beet pulp, the mare lost a pile of weight and was hungry all the time. Please please please becareful with it.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

leigh12354
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Leigh
Riverside CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  09:07:12 AM  Show Profile
I took a good look at the link you provided MEWolf. It had a lot of information on it. Thanks a bundle. Sorry it took me so long to get back< I'm a busy lady.
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  07:06:51 AM  Show Profile
I have always fed beet pulp to all my horses. My easy keepers get just a little scoop with vitamins, and the hard keepers got a couple scoops in with their senior feed.

I always soak mine, 2 parts water to 1 part beet pulp, to reduce the risk of choke.
Go to Top of Page

leigh12354
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Leigh
Riverside CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  05:51:01 AM  Show Profile
There are so many ups and downs to this beet pulp issue. i guess a person just should try it out for themselves and see.
Go to Top of Page

leigh12354
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Leigh
Riverside CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile
I was just reading on another forum about beet pulp, boy were they beating it up. But it was also a cattle forum. Some do use it but some have a difficult time with it. Just wanted to hear another side of it and boy did I.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hoof problems in horses Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page