Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rent a farm?? Next Topic  

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello all!

Does anyone know of good resources for renting a farm (or a similar idea)? Something where I can learn, like an internship, but live on the property and work it and see what works for me, or if my phyisical issues would be a problem. And of course, somewhere where my hubby can join me?

I am most intertest for here in Phoenix Area (would have to be very small I am sure), or in western OR and WA. I wouldn't say no to Idaho either. :)

I am interested in things like Organic Teas, B&B, and maybe milking (mini jersys or goats). Horses are a must, and I am thinking of incorporating them into a yoga B&B.

I have a seperate post for traveling yoga instructor for farmgirls. :) I will keep you posted!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile
I know land is cheap in Tonopah... My Landlords got a deal on a house in Tartesso when a bank wouldn't finance a newly constructed house, so I leased this 10 acres I'm on + 4 bedroom mobile with mature trees and a mare motel for pretty cheap by Phoenix standards. I had a good garden this year, have had horses for years, and just got into ducks. Learning as you go is pretty standard practice. Internships are far and few between. I've looked in the pacific NW for affordable places to hobby farm (I came here from there) with no real luck. It's too darn expensive all over!

We're gearing up to go to Missouri in a couple years instead.

If you're open to building a home, I've noticed a couple of lots carved out of the old old farmsteads along the Maricopa 85 highway around Buckeye I would consider if I wanted to stay in AZ. One of them needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I think it has an old building that'd work for a barn, and some very big, old mature trees. I want to say it's about 5 acres m/l just from eyeballing it up while I drive past it. It's surrounded by corn fields with a view of the mountains. Except for the heat and palm trees, you don't know you're in AZ when you're on that road.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info! I will check it out for sure. I know!! the pacific NW is sooooo expensive, at least on the pretty side (the side where it rains). My heart is there though and I always hold out hope for getting up there sometime. Thanks again Jen!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  7:22:52 PM  Show Profile
The only remotely affordable hobby-farm-able spot I've found is in Douglas county outside of Roseburg. It has it's own drawbacks, but at least it's oregon. I'm really fired up on Missouri though, the culture matches my interests and lifestyle much better than Oregon did anyway.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rent a farm?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page