Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Animal blessing? Next Topic  

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I know it has been posted here abotu blessing the animal before it is processed out to eat. Does anyone have a written blessing that they say? or know of where to find one online?? I have a couple bulls going to the butcher next week.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:24:53 AM  Show Profile
I would be interested in this, too. We say thank you to our animals for their providing us with food and friendship before we butcher, but it would be interesting to see if there is an actual "written-up" blessing that anyone else uses. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  9:50:28 PM  Show Profile
We haven't "offed" one of our creatures to process yet, but I can't see it being much different than when I've had to euth for medical reasons. I thank the Lord for the chance he gave me to steward one of his creatures, and offer any improvisational thoughts or concerns on my heart at the time.
Probably not what you're looking for though, I'm not at all metaphysical.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  06:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Like Jen, I thank God for what He's provided and do my best to take good care of the animal from start to finish.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  07:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I thank the animal for being part of my life and offering their love to me and then I thank the animal for giving it's life to sustain my family. I don't know what your philosophy on life after death is, but if you believe in eternal life, then the animal really isn't going anywhere - it's spirit is still on going. Just a thought.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Yes I agree with Sheri.
I feel its my responsibility to fill an animal's life with as much happiness and comfort as possible, and once that requirement is met it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if the life ends in 20 years of old age, a year to become meat, or a month from health failure as long as the creature's time was happy. I only regret if there was something more I could have done to reduce suffering or discomfort at any point when all is said and done.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile
I tend to thank the Creator (God, in my belief system) for the provision, for all of His Creation, and thank the animal for it's life being given to sustain me. I have never taken a life easily and without some regret. I don't have a problem with it, just want to be sure it's done humanely and with reverence.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Animal blessing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page