Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Being house bound really chafes UPDATE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Being house bound really chafes UPDATE! Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  2:08:43 PM  Show Profile

UPDATE! ~ Ok, So I finally made it in to a doctor today and found out that I have have damaged several major bits of my knee joint some how. The doctor explained that these ligaments control the movement of the knee from side to side and the other part that is not acting right, the meniscus (you have two in each knee) which seems to act as a pad on top of your tibia is injured. I have no idea, what happened, I haven't done anything to the silly knee! SO... now I'm in a total leg immobilizer torture brace, I have to walk with a darned cane and I'm being referred to an orthopedic surgeon! I REALLY wanted to go pick more apples this year!!! In any case, I've had enough with this falling apart this year! I'm going to craft like crazy and make the best of my situation. It a good year to make quilts!

I've always been such an adventuresome, go and do something kind of person, and now due to health problems with my knee and stomach, along with my failing eyesight, I find myself house bound much of the time anymore.

I live in the county, so no taxi service, I can't drive, and now with my knee problems, I can't even walk very far. I'm really frustrated with not being able to do things that I want to do. I really want a new career, but have no way to go after it due to lack of transpo. SO...I'm trying to think of a business that I could start from my own home, so that I can get off of disability and support my darned self. I've tried to start two different farm girl chapters but never could get around enough to keep up with them.
So, I'm wondering if there are any other house bound ladies on the forum and how you deal with being stuck at home all of the time! It's Driving me nuts!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Edited by - Annika on Sep 19 2011 4:53:16 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  2:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Annika! Sounds like you're having fun lately, huh? I'd be going nuts, too. You poor thing!!! It'll get better! I'm praying for you!

What are your talents? I have a friend who makes decent money by doing telemarketing from her home - it's all legit, I assure you! I have another friend that paid for this book that lists all the businesses in our area that hire out typists, so she subcontracts for these companies and makes quite a nifty income by so doing. There are other things you can do, too. I see a lot of crafters out there who sell their created goods on Etsy, on Ebay, etc... If you have a passion for something, maybe that's the way to go? There are lots of home based sales businesses out there, too - you just have to find one that will work with your abilities. Nowadays, most of them have online storefronts, so you don't even have to leave your home if you don't want to!

Don't give up hope, whatever you do! I'm sure if all of us farmgirls put our heads together, we'll find the perfect solution for you! In the meantime, maybe this is a good time to start writing a book! We all have stories to tell and insight to share... Go for it!!! I love reading your posts, I bet I'd LOVE reading your book!!!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  9:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Don't give up Annika. I'll keep you in my prayers. It seems like you've hit the bottom of the barrel. You know what they say about that! There is only one way out. UP!!!!!! So, I believe you'll climb up, maybe slowly, but you'll do it. Hang in there.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  7:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh I'm not about to give up, just frustrate . I've been thinking of what I could do from home that wouldn't demand a large outlay of cash. While I enjoy sewing and most crafts, I'm not exactly a wiz at them. I'm considering pottery, sewing or other fibre arts since I have access to plenty of raw wool here on the farm.

If I can come up with some kind of product that is sell able. , I'll go the etsy route

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  10:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I'm so sorry Annika that you're struggling right now and finding it so very frustrating. Since you have ready access to lots of wool could you perhaps harvest & sell to other ladies looking for raw wool for spinning or other fiber arts? Do you love to bake or have a talent for making some other home made goodies that working families would enjoy and be happy to purchase from you? You mention pottery. Are you a potter and have wares ready to sell? Any chance Mary Jane might feature your pottery in her shop? Just ideas tossed out and pray you find peace in your heart and patience to handle the limitations with which you're now dealing.
Farmgirl huggz
Cheryl

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  12:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Annika--I had surgery last year to fix a tron meniscus. My knee is better now than it was before the surgery. I had to wear an immobilzer, too--no fun, but after you see the orthopedic dr., let us know what he/she says. And yes, it is a good time to make quilts!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  03:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Oops! I meant to say that my knee is better now than it was before I hurt it. Of course, it IS better than it was before the surgery, but I should hope so!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Annika! I hope you feel better soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  08:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Annika, you poor thing, I know how you are feeling, been going through my own "challenge" for the past 2 years. The emotional toll is far worse than the actual pain.

Keep your spirits up, don't give in, assess yourself and what would work best for a business for you: do you want to "create" and sell your wares, or go right to selling what is already alvailable? I agree with Cheryl, definitely sell the raw wool, less work and more profit. If you have access to lots of "stuff" how about starting a web-based "flea market" and try selling some of those brick-a-brac we have all collected and never looked at again.

You are still the same person you were before hitting these bumps in the road which have only slowed you down.

Best of luck and a quick return to good health.

{{{hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Being house bound really chafes UPDATE! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page