Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Thinking of planting pear or apple tree espaliers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Thinking of planting pear or apple tree espaliers Next Topic  

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  08:01:18 AM  Show Profile
While I don't have much of a green thumb at all, I have cleared a place in my yard where I think three or five espaliers would look lovely.

I am told it is still good planting season for trees here, so I'm thinking about it.

Can anyone advise me on depth of holes? Spacing? Waiting until spring vs not waiting? Helping baby trees with baby tree food? Something I am forgetting to ask?

I have read about starting/training espaliers and the nice man at my local garden center has experience with training them, but if anyone here has advice about espaliers I would be very grateful to hear from you as well.

I plan to do straight branches (going straight out -- not going out and up like an arm).

Thanks!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  09:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Karen, here are some general guidelines for planting trees:

1. The hole should be at least 2 or 3 times the diameter of the root ball, but no deeper than the depth of the root ball or the tree will settle after planting. If you plan to apply bark mulch, wood chips or other organic matter after installation it's a good idea to dig your tree hole a few inches shallow so that when you are all finished with soil and mulch the top of the mulch is even with the top of the soil in your rootball.

2. It's a good idea to dig a test pit, fill it with water, and make sure it drains away before you plant. Not sure what soils are like there but here in WA we have lots of clay so drainage is always a concern.

3. Place the tree in the center of your hole and backfill. If you are planting bare-root trees be sure to spread the roots out in the hole before backfilling. Tamp the soil a bit with your foot at 6" depth increments as you backfill. You can mix in compost or fertilizer with the backfill soil if you wish to provide nutrients.

4. The best way to determine what nutrients are needed is to have your existing soil tested by a plant lab with a report on suggested improvements. Your local extension agency may also have regionally appropriate suggestions for the soils in your area. Otherwise choose a balanced fertilizer suitable for fruit trees and apply as directed.

5. Once the soil has been filled in, water the tree heavily to settle the soil in around the roots. This is especially important for bare root trees.

6. Stake the trees or provide support to keep the rootball steady for the first two years while roots extend into the existing soil. Check the stakes and ties frequently to insure that they aren't girdling or causing damage to the tree.

Fall is a great time to plant trees. Spacing of the trees will depend on how large they are now, what variety they are in terms of mature size, etc so I suggest you ask your garden center or look at the plant tag for suggestions.

Good luck with your adventure! I've always admired espaliered trees. I have a client who has several pear trees trained into a beautiful screen fence between his yard and an ugly building next door. Someday I'm hoping to do something similar outside my kitchen window so I don't have to look at my neighbor's ugly car!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Marilyn,

This is fantastic!
Thank You!!!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd throw this in there: make sure the trees get at least an inch of water each week, most people don't realize that not giving a tree enough water as it goes in to winter can kill it pretty quickly or at least keep it from establishing and therefore hamper its ability to weather the winter weather.

Though maybe where you are you don't have to worry about it? Water deeply. Set your hose on trickle and let it sit at the base of each tree for at least 30 minutes.

If you get an inch of rain a week you don't have to worry about it, that's part of why fall planting is so nice, it's usually pretty wet!

~`~`~`~`~`
A little Red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Stimalano
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  4:02:25 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted to do that, but unfortunately my yard just isn't big enough. Hopefully, when we sell this boat of a house and get some land I will be able to do just that. There are some wonderful sites on the internet and didn't Mary Jane do a segment on espaliered fruit trees a while ago?

Take some snaps of your progress I would love to see how it goes for you!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Thinking of planting pear or apple tree espaliers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page