walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:17:09 AM  Show Profile
I've gotten about 2 hours of sleep. His snoring is driving me BONKERS!!!!! He wears a tennis ball on his back, wears snore strips, sleeps on his side, puts nose spray in before bed...NOTHING HELPS!!! I'm out of options and I'm kicking him to the couch from this night forward once he gets up. I've had it. I've BEGGED him to go do a sleep study and he won't schedule one. Snoring drives me NUTS! I can hear him all the way downstairs!

Thanks for listening, ladies. It is so frustrating.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Does he actually realize it's more then a inconveince for you, but can actually cause him to die?

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:35:34 AM  Show Profile
It's hard to deal with, I know from my mom. My dad finally went in and had a sleep study done but it took a LONG time to convince him. Does your husband realize he snores as much as he does, or is he just assuming you're blowing it out of proportion? Maybe he realizes it with all the things he's already trying, but I didn't know if it was a "my wife says I should do these things..." and he doesn't even realize he's snoring as much as he is. Would it help to make a recording of him sleeping? There is nothing more frustrating than trying to sleep next to someone who makes it impossible for you to sleep. Maybe a few nights on the couch will make him change his mind about the sleep study? Can you make the couch even...um...less comfy? ;) Sorry you're having to deal with this Megan. Not getting enough sleep and having to go through everyday feeling un-rested can really wear a person down. :(

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  05:02:37 AM  Show Profile
The thing is if he is snoring that badly he is also probably sleep deprived I wonder if he actually realizes that too. And if they can help him he actually may feel better during the day too.

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  05:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Megan I totally understand what you are going through. My husband snores terribly and its to the point that I get so angry. He's had the sleep study and he has the breathing machine, but won't use it, because he dosen't like it, keeps him awake. I told him the only thing I know is to put super glue in there to shut the noice up. Of course I won't do that!!!! But when you are not getting any sleep, you think of everything just to make it quiet. I usually just get up and go about my business until I'm so tired, I just fall in bed and I'm out. Not the best way to handle it, but all I know that works for us. Praying that your DH will go for the test. I most certainly save his life. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  09:23:25 AM  Show Profile
My Hubby snores like a chainsaw! I finally got fed up with it and raised the head of the bed on my own about 4 inches. It looked horribly uncomfortable, but he agreed to try it.

We both loved it!

It wasn't uncomfortable at all and it stopped the snoring! I have greatly reduced my headaches as well, so bonus!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  1:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Megan, I know exactly what you are going through, my husband had a sleep test done a month ago. So now he is on a machine every night . And I am the one that sleeps better. His snoring was impossible . I couldnt go to sleep. This is what they told my husband. He stopped breathing 19 times in one minute and held his breath at 10 seconds at a time in that one minute. It can cause a whole list of problems and death one at the top.So some how you need to get Hubby to the doctor. The test is one night. Hope he will go. MY hubby sleeps great now.
Farmgirl Hugs Marlee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How frustrating! I hope he gets seen by a doctor soon! Hugs

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Dear Friends.
When I was just a girl, had to share room with my brother who would snore, as a kid! It was the worst...then when I got married guess what? More snoring!!! Its the worst!! On another page someone suggests that the snorer needs to prop up the chest and upper torso in order to restore the proper mechanics for the sleeper's breathing. Please try it, I know how stubborn snorers can be, seem to be completely unconcerned about the problem...I still dont get that! But do try this, prop all the pillows underneath the snorers ribs, back, shoulders and head...and hope it works!
PS now Im divorced...no snoring! YEA!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  6:17:25 PM  Show Profile
I video taped mine There was nothing he could say after that. He couldn't believe it was him sounding so loud.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  06:42:25 AM  Show Profile
I've heard of dental appliances offering some relief. Would he go to the dentist instead?

Penny
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  06:54:37 AM  Show Profile
I have been snoring for years now. My family wants to build me a sound proof room to sleep in. I had a slepp study done. They told me I had a combination sleep apnea - one that I could mabe lose a little weight to help and the other is in my brain. My brain actually 'forgets" to tell my lungs to breathe when I am asleep. The doctors sad forget about removing your tonsils or adenoids - that ust won't help. So they gave me a CPAP machine. it sounds like Dath Vader and, if you are claustrophobic like I am, it is a nightmare when bed time comes. It got to the point that i was getting sleep deprived, not because of the sleep apnea, but because I wouldn't go to bed because of the machine. You would think in this day and age they could come up with something less torturous than the CPAP. I just sleep on the couch downstairs.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  8:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried Nasal pillows with your CPAP machine, Elaine? Works the same without strapping on a mask. Also having a comfortable fitting mask helps.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I would just make the appt myself and tell him he has one.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  4:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Megan-I am putting my nurse hat on right now. Your husband needs a sleep study done. Heavy snoring is a form of sleep apnea(where you are not breathing)and it increases the risk for heart attack big time. When he is snoring, he is not oxygenating well which is detrimental to his health all night long every night. Sleep studies require a doctor recommendation so first make a visit to your primary MD to discuss getting a study done. My husband snored terribly and not only was I exhausted but he was as well. After the sleep study confirmed sleep apnea, he was placed on the CPAP machine and he was so impressed at how much better he felt in the morning!! The machines are very easy to use and once a person realizes how much better he feel in the am and all day long, they are sold 100% on using it. If you face resistence, I would use the information about serious threat to heart attack and perhaps having him read something on the internet from a good link like Mayo Clinic or WEb MD so that he understands this is nothing to fool around with. Real sleep apnea is not going to get better with special pillows or nasal strips, nose spray ect. etc. All that is a waste of time because when he lies down, his throat collapses onto his trachea and obstructs his breathing. The answer is getting a proper study done and then the correct machine on the setting that works for his anatomy. Good Luck! I know men can be real stubborn but I suggest trying to appeal to other things like feeling more energetic every day and lowering risk for heart attack.
I'm taking the hat off and putting my apron on again. Dinner dishes await.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Elaine, Your CPAP machine should not bother you that way. There are several types right now so I recommend that you go to the company where you purchased the item and speak with the Respiratory Therapist about your concerns and get one with the fit that is comfortable and quiet for you. You must just not have a correctly fitting one for your needs and these things are all adjustable. It is very important that you get a system that is comfortable and one that you can wear without distress. Sleep apnea is a threat to your heart and nothing to ignore. All companies are required to have a Therapist on staff and this is the person who can best help you with a better CPAP solution. Good Luck!
Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  7:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Sweetie, I feel your pain. I am so thankful that my hubby finally agreed to a sleep study (it took chronic migraines to get him there) and what amazed me is that our MD sent us, yes us, to an ENT for evaluation, sleep study and treatment. Yes, they treated BOTH of us because his snoring (coupled with his RLS) was keeping me up all night. I will never forget what she said when she walked into the room for the first time ~ "so, your snoring all night and not sleeping very well are you? I can tell by looking at your wife, she's exhausted!" Three years now he has been using the CPAP (it took a little while for him to get used to it), but we both sleep better now. He no longer gets migraines, and I don't look like a raccoon! I agree with Winnie. Everything that she said in her comment to you is exactly what our ENT told us. Add into that, sleep apnea can contribute to obesity and make it difficult to lose weight because your body is compensating for the deficiencies of oxygen to the heart and is not focusing on metabolizing and regulating in the digestive tract. Our ENT didn't pull any punches with my dh at all. Praying that your dh comes around and goes in for a sleep study. {{hugs}}

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  04:09:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm doing it today. I'm calling his doctor to ask for an appointment for him to get a referral for a sleep study. I mean, some nights it's not as bad as others, but, if he so much as has a nosehair twisted wrong in his nose he snores loud enough to wake the dead. It just can't be healthy.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  5:14:06 PM  Show Profile
MSM is thought to be helpful for snoring. There is a formula from NSP called SnorEase that is really good. I've also read that mullein helps too.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile
oh boy, do I understand this one. I find myself in the extra bed. Hubby still has his tonsils, which is not helpful, but at least if I can get him to his side he stops, usually. Not always comfy for him as it bothers his hips and that I understand, but wow. I haven't tried the prop the bed up, but getting him to do a test would be difficult at best.

It is always worse when he's been mowing or harvesting. The neighbors told him that she went in the other room when her hubby started to snore and that it didn't mean they didn't love each other, but sometimes I'm tired of being the one having to go to the other room. My sleep isn't the best to begin with.

Best of luck to all the spouses of snorers.
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  5:17:23 PM  Show Profile
But what about a mouth breather, who snores? I took a quick peek into the cpap machines and it seems they fit over the nose and not the mouth. Guess I'm just not making the connection how air introduced via the nose will reduce snoring. Aaaargh.

But absolutely do I relate to these women. Hubby had his deviated septum operated on but it was not very successful. He still snores almost as much as he used to. He's tried the device that fits into his mouth and that didn't help. He has tried the strips on the nose and no luck there. If he can lay on his side it is better. And oh boy, waking him up to tell him he's snoring and nicely asking if he'd turn on his side is always an iffy situation that sometimes doesn't end well.

But what concerns me is that he doesn't necessarily stop breathing but his breaths are so short most of the time and not a full inhale - even like he's straining to get his breath. It's scary to hear. Of course, he wakes up feeling tired but like a lot of our men on here - he's a stubborn one to get to the doctor......

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  6:43:26 PM  Show Profile
They have both, I have mainly seen the ones that go over both the mouth and the nose, in fact till you brought it up I never seen the kind that only did the nose, so I googled sure enough there is some that only do the nose. lol But, I think the best ones go over both. Because they are to force air through to open up what is being closed that causes the breathing, or rather lack there of problem they are having, and causing the snoring.

Also as has been said and I don't think can be said enough, not getting this taken care of can cause death! Not just heart problems, but actual death too. I know some one personally who lost their husband in death due to sleep apnea.....I would not play around with it at all.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  06:25:16 AM  Show Profile
All- I want to just add that there are lots of ways that CPAP machines can fit and just trying to figure it out on google is not the best way. CPAP machines are actually fitted during the Sleep Lab process by the Respiratory Therapists (Polysomnotechs) to see what is best. For mouth breathers, there is even a chin strap that can fit under the chin to hold the mouth shut. Here is the problem: For a variety of reasons, sleep apnea is caused when the nasal pharynx and throat passages collaspe when the person lies down or goes to sleep causing the tissue to obstruct the airway in varying degrees. The CPAP machine provides forced air that holds these passages open so that the person fully oxygenates. When a person is having a sleep study done, they are hooked up to all sorts of monitoring equipment so that the sleep techs can study and observe what the patterns are and to what extent the problem is effecting oxygenation. Then, while they are still there, the techs try different CPAP equipment and study the results again when the person goes back to sleep and can adjust until they get it right. The next morning the person then has the information on what to buy and the techs are then able to show the person how to set up their machine, the settings to use, the various devices for the face that will do the job etc. So, the bottom line is that a sleep study needs to happen and then the person has to work to find that combination of face mask equipment that is comfortable enough to use EVERY NIGHT!!! It sometimes takes a few trys to get the best combo but then the person will be utterly amazed at how rested and alert they feel after a night of truly restful and restorative sleep. And yes, sever sleep apnea can cause enough stress on the heart over time to result in heart attack especially if the person has other cardiac risk factors such as smoking, emphysema, diabetes, coronary heart disease etc. etc.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  1:03:05 PM  Show Profile
WOO HOO!! DH got the referral yesterday to go for a sleep study. I'm having him call on Monday to schedule it! His dad has TWO CPAP machines, so he says we can use his. :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Whoo whoo! Megan.

Winnie I was not in the least suggesting people google how to use a CPAP machine, instead of going for a sleep study. I was just letting a previous poster know there was more then one kind of mask. I was pretty sure there was, but googled just to be positive.

Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  05:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Praise the Lord Megan! Hopefully you will be on your way to sleep filled nights soon!

My hubby has the nose only one and occasionally (usually during hayfever season) he'll mouth snore and we just have to adjust his CPAP and problem solved. It's a pressure thing (I don't understand all the nuances of a CPAP), and I know he has to take his machine in annually for adjustments and readings.

Praying for sleep soon for you Megan!! :)

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic I'm ready to smother DH Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page