Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  5:43:32 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited. We got our wood stove installed this afternoon. I can't wait for winter and I'm stocking up on graham crackers, marshmallows and Hersey bars! Oh yeah!!

I put pictures up at the blog and you can kinda see the floor I just laid and the stove pad that I built to go under it with the help of my DH who cut the tile and the hardybacker board.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  6:05:43 PM  Show Profile
My DH would for me to burn our wood stove. But after 5 chimney fires and the last one that caught the ceiling rafters on fire and we had to take the ceiling out to get it out I will NEVER have one again.
So happy heating.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  6:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Stocked up on s'more stuff.....stock up on wood too! Sounds so cozy. Your room looks brand new.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 09 2011 6:16:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  7:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean, it is brand new. My DH built it for me to enjoy the birds in the summer and the winter with hummingbird feeders for summer and regular bird feeders for winter. There are great big windows for lots of light and the wood stove to back up to on cold evenings! It is still in the works - still have the trim and the ceiling to put in and have to hook up the electricity but we're getting close!!

Diana, a company made up of fire fighters that is in business here in OKC, installed it for us and used double wall pipe and new stainless steel chimney. It doesn't go through the attic because there is no attic (vaulted ceiling) and it was all done to insurance company inspection and approval. The firemen said that it will work really well and safely. Sorry you had such trouble! I hate that.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  7:54:06 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Mary Beth!!! It's beautiful! I know what you mean about veins bulging, poor guys.

I love our woodstove and would you believe my husband actually lit a fire this morning? It has been in the mid-40's in the evenings and was a tad chilly this morning :) I also love saving money on heating.

Enjoy!!!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 09 2011 7:56:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:34:59 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations MaryBeth! How awesome is that? Our house has a wood stove downstairs that we have never used....it was here when we moved in so we would have to have the whole system/chimney etc checked to be sure it is safe. We also have a "hole" in our living room wall (that has a picture over it right now) but the woodstove used to be there. I am strongly considering getting a new stove for the living room....I've had my eye on a Vermont "bun baker" wood stove with a nice soapstone surround. It actually has an "oven" where you can bake in it, plus you can cook on top of it too. So cool......but SO expensive too....
Enjoy your cozy new wood stove in your beautiful new room!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, my friend has one of those and loves it! She bakes pizza and bread and cookies - you name it. It has come in handy for those winter days when the electricity is likely to go out!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  11:27:50 PM  Show Profile

Mary Beth, you need a large tea kettle that is always kept full. You always have a humidifier, and hot water is ready faster than a microwave....
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile
What a beauty! You'll love it, I'm sure. Our KY house has one but the pipe goes out from the back to the wall, not the ceiling and doesn't have an oven. But we can cook on top. I already have a big old cast iron tea kettle that will sit on the back of it to furnish moisture for the room and decoration. That sucker heats up too well...I like a cool house and the stove produces so much heat it can drive you out of the house.

Thanks for the pictures and love your blog.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  07:38:53 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely love the wood stove we have and it heats our entire 1600 square foot house. I grew up with wood heat. We get lots of rain throught the winter and it takes the damp feeling out of the house completely and anyone that comes to visit always comments on how warm and toasty it is. I always keep a cast iron kettle, bought specially, on the stove with water in it as a humidifier. I fill it up a couple times a day. All the work it takes to get wood is well worth it. Enjoy.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Mary Beth,
Having a woodstove is wonderful. I love mine.

Diana, I am so sorry to hear about your fires.
It is hard when something so enjoyable goes so wrong.

Diana makes an important point about fires and, while I can't speak to why chimney fires happen to different people, I wanted to share with you what we have --and do-- for chimney fire prevention.

We have this thing that looks like a big snarly mess of broken springs. It is mounted on a long, fireproof chain that rolls around a pulley at the top of our chimney and another pulley at the bottom. the chain is twice the length of our chimney. This chain and pulley system allows us to pull the ball of snarled steel up and down the chimney. It hacks away built up creosote on its way up and down. The snarled ball stays in the base of the chimney (in the cellar) when not in use.

Twice a year (or a bit more), I climb up on the roof to make sure the ball comes all the way up when my husband runs the system from the cellar. This also gives me a chance to clear the upper pulley of creosote build-up.

Once a month during burning season (usually November to April here) my husband will go down into the cellar and run the "scrubber" up and down the chimney to clear it of new build-up and to keep it as clean as possible. He collects shovel-fulls of creosote shards every time.

In addition, we burn those anti-creosote logs, which we find helpful--as a support to our monthly scrubbing--not as a substitute.

Not sure where you can get these systems. My husband purchased ours decades ago but I did see a Maine company selling them at the Common Ground Fair in Unity, Maine a few years ago. If you're interested, you may be able to find a source if you Google Common Ground Fair.

Happy wood-stoving. I hope you enjoy it and I hope you don't have any problems with it.

All the best,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  08:08:45 AM  Show Profile
A cast iron tea kettle!! Yes. I need one. Going to hit the antique stores this week! :-)

Nancy, thanks for the kind words about the blog!

Karen, the fire fighters who installed the stove said that they will come every summer to completely clean out the stove pipe and the entire insides of the stove for $100. I think that we are going to take them up on that. They also said to keep a box of baking soda next to the stove and if there ever is a fire, to throw the box into the stove where it will burn the box and the soda will poof up the chimney and put out any fire. He said not to use those dynamite looking things you can buy for that purpose because they will ruin your stove and stove pipe.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  2:22:01 PM  Show Profile
How exciting! It's so pretty. And I bet y'all will be toasty warm this winter. I am looking for a wood stove for us. A friend has one but it's up in the woods behind her house wrapped in tarp. She will have to get some big strong men to get it back up front. She just wants $250.00 for it and it's big. We have been gathering wood. I do not want my heat pump to ome on at all this winter. I wish you lots of warm cozy cuddly nights with lots of s'mores!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  2:23:56 PM  Show Profile
I just read your last comment and that's a great idea about the baking soda. So would I just call the fire dept. to get them to come out to check the chimney before we burn any wood?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  3:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Kris, you could call your fire department to ask them who they recommend. It just happens that we have a group of firefighters who went into business together and started the company that sells and installs wood stoves and fireplaces and cleans the chimneys as well. Hope your firemen can steer you in a good direction!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  4:09:44 PM  Show Profile
I had my woodstove removed about four or five years ago. It was such a dirty mess, but I am glad to say the hole in the roof and ceiling have been repaired and all is well. I also got a new heat pump installed two years ago and that has worked well also. If we have a power outage, I'm probably toast but hopefully I'll outlive the power outages.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6633 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6633 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth- It is a beauty!!And you did a fabulous job on laying the tile floor too. I bet you and family will enjoy the cold winter months more now that you can gather around this central source of heat AND make s'mores at the same time!!! If lived closer, I might invite myself over!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile
oooooh I'm jealous. Lucky you! I love wood heat and miss it very much. Enjoy it with your smores.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:05:55 PM  Show Profile
We have a Vermont Casting wood stove in our living room. It's a lovely deep chocolate brown. We have had it for quite a few years and before that a wood insert in our fireplace in our old house. I am dreading the mess this winter, but our heating bill is down to a 1/4 of what it was before we had ours installed.

You will LOVE wood heat, as it warms you to your bones....but the mess---YIKES! Dust, dust, and more dust...

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on the wood stove-been wanting to install a clean pellet burning stove for a few years now. I'll take a peek at your blog & see what it looks like.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  7:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, come on down!! ;-)

Melody, I know the mess, but consider that a minor issue considering heat when there is no electricity!! I've had a wood stove before - a long time ago - and it was the old Ashley heater. Remember those? They were big, brown monsters that stood as tall as a small human being. Oh and ugly. Bleh. But boy did it heat. However, there was the mess. I am looking forward to using the pellets once in awhile because they are supposed to be cleaner burning, but we have a LOT of wood to get rid of too.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile
I've done wood and I've done pellets. Pellets are okay. A lot less mess to deal with BUT the heat is not the same. Honest to goodness wood heat warms you to the morrow of your bones and feels so good. Pellets just warms you up. If I had my choice, I'd choose wood but where I am it's not a good option.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  06:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, Kimberly. We have lots of trees and a friend of mine is wanting us to come cut down a boatload of trees at her house. We should be good for a long while in logs!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  07:34:12 AM  Show Profile
you will have happy warm cozy winter days for sure. we love our stove. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  3:04:01 PM  Show Profile
MaryBeth it's beautiful! simmer a nice pot of soup on it
connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/- Soap & Candle
http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/ My Blog
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/farmgirl-crafting-group/ - A group for all farmgirls wanting to share their craft.

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  5:12:13 PM  Show Profile
I was just looking on the craigslist for a used woodstove. I found a few that were almost new and good prices. I hope someone emails me back that I emailed
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Wood Stove!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page