Page: of 2

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  7:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Mary Beth it is a beauty. I miss my wood stove. We had a Jotul for 25+ years. It was wonderful. I cooked on it and it was so warm in our house and always smelled so good because something was always cooking. Never had a fire. Had some dust but it was a good airtight stove and worked wonderfully. We still have the stove but we replaced it with a propane stove for a backup if the electric goes out. It looks like a wood stove but isn't nearly as warm. We just got to old to deal with the wood. Enjoy!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  05:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
the only thing bad about wood stoves besides the mess is if you are in a burn ban. When you are in a burn ban you cannot burn your wood stoves. We are in East Texas and more than once during the winter we have been in a burn ban so had to find alternitive heat sources. We have a wood stove but looking into a pellet stove as they are cool burn out the flue so no sparks! I am like you we get tons of wood for free from dh work but i cant replace my house or the next 1000 acres...lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  05:55:08 AM  Show Profile
Thats the stove I've aways wanted. I will never have one because we have no room for one but it sure is a beautiful one and I know you will enjoy it for many many years to come. Lucky you. Congratulations! Your blog is beautiful too.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Brandee, so far, we haven't had that problem here in the winter, although this HAS been a really strange year, so hopefully we won't experience that.

Diane, they make really small ones too - half the size of that one - for smaller areas. And thank you for such nice words about the blog! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile
well we are going to pick up our wood stove this weekend. It is not that big but we only have a 900sq. ft house. It has reclaimer on it and it by itself is 120.00...and 5ft of pipe. We are getting the whole lot for 275.00 I thought that was a deal. I know we will have to get about another 3-400.00 worth of other stuff like, pipe and heat board...But I thought it was a great deal anyway
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  6:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Deborah!! I'll pass on one thing we found out. Ourinsurance company didn't raise our rates because we got professionals to install the stove. They weren't sure they would even cover us if we didn't have it put in by people who were certified. So you might check with your insurance company before you install it!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  06:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, Thanks for that info. I will check it out. Not sure where we are going to put it in the meantime.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  9:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Congrats, Mary Beth on your stove! We have heated with wood for 25+ years and love it. Well, despite the labor of cutting wood, splitting,stacking,storing,hauling,ants/bugs in the wood...etc.
We recently replaced our stove with a Kuma wood stove. They are locally manufactured and are eco-friendly. We were able to find a local stone company to cut soapstone to fit the top of our stove and that makes it very attractive.
Wood heat is somewhat high maintenance, as far as household chores go, ie: dusting and vacuuming. But nothing is better than the cozy feeling a wood stove brings to your home.

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  06:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, the soapstone sounds beautiful!! I am so looking forward to cold weather just to try ours out! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Wood Stove!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page