caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  5:54:32 PM  Show Profile
The food price thread has had me thinking about food and money...alot. I once had a grocery budget of $500 and that included a lot of splurging. That is not the case now. I can no longer get what I used to for $500 even without the splurges at this point in time. With rising food costs that is only going to get worse.

So I am going to give myself a challenge starting next monday....for the rest of September I am going to see how much I can shave off my grocery budget by meal planning, using my storage, ect.

Anyone want to join me for this challange?

www.imnaturallysimple.com
SIMPLIFY!

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  7:18:00 PM  Show Profile
I feel like I've been doing the challenge already. Some things are definately long term. We have shaved our budget by having a huge garden,canning and freezing as much as we can, starting fruit trees, getting eggs,chickens and beef from local farmers. We make a weekly menu plan using what we have and supplementing only as necessary.
That and menu planning are real biggies. I bake bread most of the time since any healthy bread is ridiculously expensive. I occasionally make yogurt. I'd like to start making more cleaning products though. Using rags more often than paper towels has made a difference too.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  8:27:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm working towards that goal. I like to think my garden was a success until my mother's horses ate it. I bought some ducks for eggs this summer, but they have a ways to go before they start giving back. I did however get in contact with a waterfowl rescue who is thrilled to place a half a dozen currently laying ducks with me (for free, they're just pleased to not have to feed them anymore.) It's a really nice contact to have. I may order some meat turkeys this winter from a hatchery though.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I, too, feel like I am always working to keep every week's grocery bill as low as possible. using WalMart's price match helps me a lot. It lets me get every store's best price without running all over. It takes a bit of effort keeping all the newspaper circulars straight to show the cashier the price on the items.

My garden is really starting to produce now. I sure miss all the peaches we usually have ( a wet spring resulted in a fungus that kept all the fruit from developing).

It sure is nice to read that plenty of my sisters are pinching pennies too!

MARIANNE
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Food Challege Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page