Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wish me luck! - UPDATES Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  08:25:04 AM  Show Profile
Well Farmgirls, I'm off to Connecticut this morning (plane leaves in a couple of hours) for a 10-day in-law visit. My husband follows mid-next week, but Jackson and I are flying solo. We've flown solo once before, but now he's 6 months old and doesn't like to hang out on Mommy's lap for long periods of time! And, to make matters worse, he has his first ear infection. Let's hope that he's not too crabby on the plane!

For my Farmgirl Pen-Pals, I'm so sorry that I haven't had a chance to get more letters out in the last week or so. I've been so busy getting ready for this trip (brother-in-law's wedding, we're both in it, lots to do!) that I've barely had time to sleep. I will write when I return!

Hopefully I will be able to check in from my trip, but if not - know that I'm thinking about all of you and will miss the fun conversations!

Catherine

p.s. Did I mention that I'll be hanging around with my mother-in-law, her sister and mom from Germany? Did I mention that they will not be speaking English? Did I mention that I don't speak German? Sigh...here I go!

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

Edited by - cmandle on Aug 07 2006 6:25:54 PM

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Catherine!! Can't wait to hear your stories when you return. I'm sure you'll have lots to tell! Hang tough!! Pictures too??

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  8:02:29 PM  Show Profile
I read this too late to send you best wishes, but I hope your flight was smooth and uneventful, and I hope you have a great time visiting with your relatives, despite the language issues. I bet you'll have some great stories to share when you get back.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  8:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Know you did just great. Can't wait to hear the stories when you return. Maybe you can teach us all the German you pick up!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  10:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Catherine...I hope you have a great time!! My ex-in-laws were german and spoke it all the time..it wasn't long before I knew everything they said...lol...poor things they thought they had one over on me!
I do so hope you are able to have a wonderful time and that Jackson will be ok on the flights!
Can't wait to hear from you when you get back! You will have a package waiting for you when you return!! Took me FOREVER but I finished it and hope you love it!!
Safe travels!!
Hugz Always,

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  6:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Farmgirl Sisters...I'm here, but I've got stories. I can't possibly begin to share them all here - mainly because I'm exhausted - but I will give you the update on the illnesses. Yes, that's illnesses plural now. The Boy gave his cold to me (what a sweetie) as he proceeded to get better (awesome in and of itself). So I'm getting sicker by the day as I wait for my dear hubby to come and save me. Not from his family, they're lovely - language-barrier and all - but rather, from...well...motherhood. I know you all know this, but just let me whine a moment: IT'S SO DIFFICULT TO MOTHER A CHILD WHEN YOU'RE SICK. There, I said it.

So the language-barrier thing isn't that bad, but today instead of being able to speak English and smile, I woke up only able to smile (sort of). I LOST MY VOICE. Motherhood whine #2: It's so difficult to be a good mother when your baby doesn't understand why you just aren't talking to him.

It's so hard to be a solo parent when you're sick too. That's hard anyway, but being the only one to change EVERY diaper and answer EVERY monitor "call" gets a little tiring when you just want to rest. It's so easy for everyone else to just play with him and then walk out and do their things, but when I have to go to the bathroom and can't speak above the noise of two languages and 10 people (or just can't speak at all) to tell anyone this and get a little help, it just sucks.

It's also so hard to be a good houseguest, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, bridesmaid, neice-and-granddaughter-in-law when you can't talk. There is so much hubbub going on already and I'm totally incapable of participating. The Omi (German grandma) doesn't remember that I don't speak German and gets really frustrated when I don't answer her at all now! Sigh. Tea and honey are helping and I'm back up to a whisper now. But man, what a pain.

Whine # whatever (can't keep track): I'm feeling terrible about bringing illness down on the bride and groom. Yes, they are both "feeling sick" now and it's all my fault. I mean, yes, I could have waited this out and home and changed our tickets, but that would have upset the family members who wanted to meet the Boy and have "quality time" with him before the wedding. They did come all the way from Germany.

I'm damned either way on this trip. (Whine, whine, whine.)

Ah well. I'm feeling slightly better and did decide to partake in a very nice glass of Reisling tonight which certainly helped my perspective a bit. (It doesn't take much for this nursing mom to get perspective these days as I barely ever get to drink anymore!)

So, please...I beg you...laugh with me...laugh at me...laugh for me...I'm still just whispering but am totally laughing inside. Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

More stories another time. I'm off to finish my tea and go to bed. And hope that the Boy doesn't wake up 6 times like last night and need to sleep in my bed because he's out of his familiar zone but then doesn't really sleep but would rather "play" from 4am-6am by throwing his red block at me over and over while I desperately try to keep him from falling off the bed while I also desperately try to sleep.........

Guten Nacht!!!!!!!

Edited by - cmandle on Aug 07 2006 6:27:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  7:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I'm so glad you made it okay but so sorry to hear about the illnesses. I remember from dh's Air Force days, when he deployed a couple of times per month for at least 4 days at a time, how hard it was to be a single mom when you're sick. Hang in there and accept any & all assistance that's offered & that you're comfortable with. This is going to be a story you laugh about for years to come! I'll be thinking of you.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile
C
Oh, you poor, poor thing. First off, I think you deserve a medal of valor just for travelling all alone with a baby. Second, another big medal for visiting your In-Laws with out your husband. You are really lucky if you have a new family that you love that much....Third off, I know how you feel, when Mama is sick everything just falls apart. And you don't even have the comforts of home....like your own bed, your own couch, and the right to lie around in your pjs or robe all day!!!
I know it is hard, but just raise your voice, or write a note (he he he) and ask for some help. I am sure there are lots of family members you can trust to walk Jack around the block a few times while you take a power nap....You just have to ask....I know all about that "I want my In-laws to think I am a really good parent" feeling too, but no one is going to think less of you if you ask for some help...you have to take care of yourself!! Believe me, I got a really nasty cough and cold when Julia was a baby and kept pushing and not taking care of myself, not drinking enough fluids, not resting....my breast milk started to dry up!! I had to pump every 3 hours for the next 2 weeks to build up my milk supply!!!
So.....New Friend,
Do as Dr. Kate says, take two motrin, or tylenol. (But nothing with a decongestant or anti-histamine. This will dry up milk.)
Drink lots of Gypsy tea, it is made my Traditional Medicinals, with lots of honey. Get some rest, and call me in the morning!!
Or at least drop a line on the thread.....
I will be thinking of you,
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  10:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Catherine!! How awful!!! And it is good to let it out so "whine" on!!!!! If you don't mind celery, my grandfather who was a singer and sung in choirs swore on it. Eat it fresh and you will be able to talk again. I have never tried it..but if you like it it's worth a try!! Also for caughing, three tablespoons of honey to one tablespoon of pure lemon juice work wonders!! And lots of vitamine C!! Wish I lived near by so you could come over and crash!! I would love to help with Jackson so you could get some rest!

On the bright side your journal is all done and should be off to you soon!! I finished it last week but have not been to the PO yet...sorry but it will be there soon promise!!

Here's hopes and wishes that you will soon feel well and that the wedding will be lovely!!
Hugz Always!!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  04:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, You whine all you want, you certianly deserve it. I am hoping you got to sleep last night and you are feeling better. Don't feel guilty about bringing illness on everyone else. The incubation period is much longer than a couple of days so the likelyhood you brought it to them is nil. I'm in NJ and wish I could whoosh up to Ct and help you out but there is that silly work thing. Maybe Kate's advice is best, ask for a little help. I know it's hard ( I wouldn't want to do it either, you know, super mom syndrome) but maybe a power nap is just what you need. Hopefully hubbie will be riding in on his white horse soon. Just know we are all thinking of you and rooting you on!!!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh you girls are just absolutely the best. Thanks for your amazing virtual hugs and good wishes...and practical tips to get through this! (Brought tears to my eyes...) I'm feeling better today and can talk a bit. AND...HUBBY COMES IN TOMORROW AT 11AM!!! I'm "fighting" with my brother-in-law about who's making the hour drive to pick him up at the airport, but I think I just won. "Because I'm his wife and I said so." I think it worked. I CAN'T WAIT for time alone in the car and then time alone with hubby. Just 23 hours to go!!!!!

Catherine, hanging in there due to farmgirl help!!!

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  8:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Dear hubby took me to the ER last night to find out once and for all why I wasn't getting better. SINUS INFECTION. Must have gotten it from my dear baby's ear infection bugs...ugh. Anyway, at least I'm on antibiotics now (the kind that are okay with nursing) and am already feeling better. The wedding is tomorrow and I think we can do it. I mean, we did get through a crazy day of last-minute details (I'm printing the programs for the wedding now at nearly midnight the night before, long story there...), family arriving from all over the world (the British relatives had to sit on a plane for FOUR HOURS due to the terrorist scare before taking off, we're so incredibly relieved that they're here and safe...), the groom throwing parties at the house the day before the wedding (kegs and all) and Omi falling at the bottom of the stairs (nothing broken, just bruised...). I can't believe that I've ever been bored at my own home. I vow from this day forward to cherish the silence when my baby sleeps, cherish the time he is awake and cherish all other moments in between. At least there are only three of us living in my home, not 15!!!

Can't wait for the wedding. We all cried during rehearsal so I imagine it will be a lovely and emotional affair regardless of the little roadblocks we've encountered along the way.

Home Sunday!!!

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  10:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Catherine! So sorry you were so sick but am so glad and thankful that you got the meds and are feeling a tiny bit better! I will be thinking of you and hope the wedding goes wonderfully!! Hugz and enjoy!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, Glad you are on the road to recovery. Just think of all the great stories you will have to tell at all the future family reunions. Sometimes I think God has us go through things like this so we will appreciate the boring, normalness of our day to day lives. I'm sure the wedding was wonderful(I'm in NJ and I know the weather here is just perfect today so sure it is in CT too). Remember to rest still until you are top notch. Enjoy the rest of your trip then doubley enjoy being home!!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wish me luck! - UPDATES Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page