CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  8:17:44 PM  Show Profile
how many 'first cousins' in your family?

on my dad's side of the family: i have/had 8 aunts and uncles and my dad made 9 children in his family.

10 boy cousins
5 girl cousins

there were 7 children in my mom's family .. then 7 more when her mom died and her dad remarried. i know there are LOTS of cousins (in Georgia) .. but only know the names of a few of them.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  8:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
On my mom's side I have 5.
3 girls
2 boys
these were from two uncles.

On my dad's side...oh my... I have 26! From 5 uncles and 2 aunts and they break down like this,
18 girls
8 boys
I know all my cousins on my mother's side and most of them on my dad's side. But some I have never met.

Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  8:54:06 PM  Show Profile
On my Mom's side: I have 3 aunts 1 uncle and my mom made 5 in her family, Her youngest sibling being only 8 years older than I.
6 girl cousins
7 boy cousins
We all still live in the same area minus 2. And all of our kids are friends and play together.
This is the "BIG FAT Italian family" That sums that up!

On my Dad's side: Two Aunts, and my Dad makes 3.
5 boy cousins
4 girl cousins
I call this family my "california" family . But oh the wonderful holidays we did spend together when we were young. Matching dresses, matching jammies, gifts galore. Dinners out, Sunday church then brunch, the hum and laughter of the adults in the "formal" living room, kids playing and screaming in the bedroom or cuddled up on the "big" bed watching TV.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  9:11:01 PM  Show Profile
My Mom's side = 2 aunts and 4 uncles...
7 boy cousins
6 girl cousins (used to be 7)
+ the three in my family (2 girls, 1 boy)
=
17 grandkids

My Dad's side = 3 aunts
4 boy cousins
7 girl cousins
+ us again
= 14 grandkids

We are tight, tight, tight with most of our second cousins too. And to confuse things, I'm 1st and 5th cousins with one set on my Dad's side which means that my son and my cousin's son are 2nd and 6th cousins...but who's keeping track? (Don't worry! It's not incestuous! The "out-laws" as we call them were 4th cousins and married a couple of siblings. Nobody knew it until someone's bridal shower way back when. Small world!)

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  9:44:53 PM  Show Profile
2 girl first cousins in my dad's side..both more than 10 years younger than me..and 3 boy first cousins on my mom's side..all at least 7 years younger than me. I grew up with more second cousins that I was much much closer to. My grandma on my mom's side was the oldest of 12 children..and the youngest sister in that family is my mom's age..so her kids are my closest cousins..and some of the others that are also second cousins. LOTS of them!! WE are a very close family.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  9:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
13 boy first cousion and 1 girl first cousion but on my mothers side I know all the way too 4th cousions. At christmas more than 100 people go to my grandmothers house to celebrate. And that is just from my mother and her sister and their kids and grand kids great grand kids all from two sisters or just one woman my grandmother.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  03:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
My family is one of those that had so many divorces and remarries, that it is very difficult to know who to count. Both sets of my true grandparents married twice and have kids by each marriage. My parents are divorced and my father is remarried, so I have a whole step family. But I will do my best.

On my fathers side I have 2 Uncles and 2 Aunts, with 7 boy cousins and 5 girls cousins. With me and my brothers and sister that would be 15 cousins. I know almost all of them, 1 girl died young, and 1 girl and one boy are from my Grandmothers second marriage, never did get to know them very well.

My mothers family is much more confusing. My grandmother had my mother and aunt, then divorced and remarried a man that had at least 2 kids, then they had 4 boys and 1 girl together. My Grandfather also remarried and had 2 more children, both girls. My grandmother, Nonnie as we call her says here and Pappa (her second husband) have 13 children altogether. I am sure she isn't including her first husband's 2 more children, so that would make 15 in all. I do know t at least 25 of my cousins, I haven't a clue how many there actually are. Nonnie knows, and will tell you if asked. I have never met them all, nor all my aunts and uncles. The family is stretch all across the United States, and at times, I know they all haven't been talking to each other. The ages of my aunts and uncles range from some close to their 70's to some in there 40's. I know the cousins range from almost 50 to just around 8 yrs.

my final number go something like this.

Fathers side, 3boys + 2 girls = 5
cousins, 9 boys + 7 girls = 16

Mothers side, = 15 kids
cousins, 15 girls + 10 boys = 25 cousins

My husband's family is just as big, at least on his mothers side. There were 13 children with 12 living to maturity. I do believe my husband has met them all, the family was very close until the death of his grandparents. In the picture on my wall there are 6 boys and 6 girls, and I do know the one that died as a child was a girl. As far as cousins I couldn't even give it a good guess. I have met in the last 2 yrs at least 15. So with my husband brothers, that would be at least 20, and I know that is conservative.

I have to say it is somewhat hard to figure them all out, but what would be more confusing is to figure out all the second cousins. LOL

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/

Edited by - sillyfoulks on Aug 03 2006 03:47:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Cousins cousins cousins. I don't have that many. One uncle had 7 children and my other uncle, I don't really remember. I think there were two boys and a girl. Don't ask me to break down the bigger family because I can only remember five names. The older uncle died when I was 3-4. I remember clearly being cold at his funeral because my mom had forgot to put out undies for me and I was running around without any. Oh the things remember. After his death his family moved away. My other uncles family moved to the west coast when I was about 7 and I've lost track of most of them. That's where my screen name came from. They had a Kathy who was older then me so I was always Kathy Gene.

But if you want to talk nieces and nephews. I have 5 nieces and 1 nephew, then we go to great and I have 7 great nieces and 4 great newphews and on the great great level there are one girl and two boys.

That's what happens if your sisters are 18 and 19 when you are born.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  6:40:09 PM  Show Profile
On Mom's side is easy. She had one brother and one sister. The cousins were 3 girls and 1 boy. with my sister and I there were 5.
On Daddy's side is a little more difficult. He was the next to the youngest out of 15 children. 13 lived to adult hood and all were married except one. Daddy had nieces and nephews older than him! These cousins were too numerous to count! Maybe 35? Not sure.
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
oooh I love genology....

Cousins, mine is a definite MUST READ! Ya'll will get a kick out of this one.

On Mom's side. Mom is an only child so I have no blood cousins. My mother's second marriage gave her a sister as an adult. My aunt is an only child, too. They have become just like sisters over the years. They may be steps....but I wasn't brought up that way and neither were my cousins. So on Mom's side:

2 female cousins
1 male cousin

Dad's side. Dad had one sister. So I have

1 female cousin
1 male cousin

Now for my children. I have two, one girl and one boy. On their father's side they have five cousins and on my side they have three cousins and one on the way. I'm the oldest so this gives you a sense of why I say what I do. My youngest brother has two girls. Here is where it gets interesting on their relationship with my two. My brother's girls our my children's first cousins and 12th cousins. My sister-in-law is our 11th cousin. Our common ancestor is John and Pricilla Alden who came over on the Mayflower. My mother and SIL's father are 10th cousins. The Alden Kindred estimates there are approximately 1,000,000 decendents of John and Pricilla in this country. This means I'm related to 1 in every 280 people. How's that for percentages.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  10:45:02 PM  Show Profile
OK, on Dad's side...

5 cousins/3 boys, 2 girls.
Ariel had 1 boy/1 girl
Claude had 2 boys/1 girl

On Mom's side... 24

Ron had 2 girls
Lauren had 2 girls/2 boys
Dave had 1 girl/1 boy
Martha had 2 girls/1 boy
Chris had 5 boys(!!!!)
Jim had 1 girl
Ruby had 4 girls/2 boys
Mary had 1 boy

We don't even want to get started on great grandchildren!

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  11:19:06 AM  Show Profile
I have 26 on my mom's side and 23 on my dad's side. That's a total, a few are no longer living and a few I've only met once. My children only have 5 first cousins and live right down the road from them. That's a big change in a generation.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Aug 10 2006 11:21:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  11:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I was adopted when I was 9 days old. My parents were "older" adults when they got me so most of the relatives were gone, plus both came from small families. I never did find my biological mom though I have spent money and time trying. I would love to have some cousins, sisters, brothers (I am an only child). Now on my husbands side there are so many, Christmas is about 60 people now and thats just on my mother in laws side. My father in law is one of 12 so there are about 200 at family gatherings.

Maybe someday I will find her and see if I do indeed have siblings. That would be so cool.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  9:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Sizes of families are so much fun to think about! My sons will have a much larger "cousin network" than I do - I have 4 cousins on my mother's side and 6 on my dad's. My sons have no cousins on my side, but ***32*** on their father's!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic first cousins Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page