Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What ever happened to aging gracefully
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What ever happened to aging gracefully Next Topic
Page: of 2

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  5:31:11 PM  Show Profile
The only thing I ever get done, besides washing my face and and using a sunscreen/face lotion on my face, is I have highlights put in once a year, usually in the middle of winter when I need to brighten things up. I have light brown hair, but I get tired of the gray hairs and the highlights disguise them. I figure I can afford that one splurge, since I only get my hair cut 3 or 4 times a year! Otherwise, I cant see having any other procedures done...

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  9:59:24 PM  Show Profile
About six years ago, my husband convinced me to stop dying my hair - he didn't like the feel of my hair since I had started covering the gray. It took a while to grow out the color and it was a little embarassing, but I wouldn't go back to the time consuming habit of having my hair colored ever again. And I get so many compliments on my shiny salt and pepper short, spunky hair style. My husband loves running his hands through my soft hair now.

It isn't always easy to accept the changes you see in the mirror, but I do feel that the cosmetics industry preys on insecurities and many of the high-priced products do very little for the money. I stick to sunscreen (after losing my dad to skin cancer, I sleep in sunscreen) and moisturizer as far as a beauty regime. That coupled with some heavy - duty finger-crossing that I won't age terribly and can continue to fool myself that I look just fine for my almost 50 years. 50!! How exciting!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile
I want to stop coloring my hair but my husband likes it colored and I buy Relvon for $4. a box and let him do it for me. I am 60 and my grandson who is 4 said "you look young gramma, but you need to grow your hair longer so you don't look like a boy."

My mom got stung by 56 bee's at age 79 when I saw her I had to laugh and said mom you have no wrinkles. She's 82 now and I think she is beautiful and I hope to look that good at 82.

Maybe I should listen to my grandson because when I look in the mirror I see my little brother not my mother.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:50:02 AM  Show Profile
I don't feel my age. My children are always telling me that they are glad I don't look it. (because they all got that gene) Though I have never been this age before so I don't know how it is supposed to look. My mind still thinks of my body the way it did when I was younger. Though there are days when my body has to tell my mind to knock it off. I am a natural blond as is my mother. Bless her heart at 85 she doesn't have gray or white hair yet. Hers actually got a bit darker. Wouldn't mind that myself and I have thought of doing low-lights just for the fun of it and something different. I think what we do should make us feel good. But not get trapped into thinking we have to look 20 forever. Though I do wear a bit of blush and mascara when I go to work, I can't stomach the "unnatural" look with all that make up some wear. I want to look natural not painted. I am officially an empty-nester as of today and that makes me feel melancholy but not old. I work one day week so I am glad I have little grand children to help fill the space. My mom had never seemed old to me until recently when her health situation changed. She used to get out there and play baseball with us and do so many things that I am sure that is what kept her young. I would rather be around a happy person with lots of laugh lines and such than someone who looks beautiful on the outside but has a terrible outlook on life. We do need to learn to age gratefully as we are never promised another day no matter our age. So if there are wrinkles and gray hair we need to be glad we have lived long enough to have them. :D

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 09 2011 07:58:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  06:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, I haven't seen it in years...wonder if "Vermont Country Store" may have it...I'll check their website.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  06:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Why does everyone want to be forever young? And just what is beautiful? I know I don't want to look like the skeletal "beauties" of hollywood. My goal is to be as healthy and happy as I can be. If my weight, hair, shape, make up or lack there of, bother you; don't look at me!!! I'm 38 and my body has changed thanks to giving birth to two children. I don't have the figure I had on my wedding day but I do have two gorgeous children. I say be healthy and live joyfully and don't worry about what society says we're supposed to be because they're screwy anyways. :P So long as my husband thinks I'm beautiful, I'm good.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile
PS I've always said that I prefer getting older to the alternative......

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  07:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I agree Kimberly, it is better than the alternative...lol...I have put on about 12 lbs since I turned 50 oh let me see that was 3 years ago...lol...but DH say he loves the little extra, said I was way to thin anyway...isn't that so sweet....Don't care what society thinks, never have, never will...Momma taught me that...one of the many wonderful things I learned from her.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

mountaingirl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jennifer
Conifer CO
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  07:20:17 AM  Show Profile
The best anti-aging formula out there is healthy diet + excercise + lots of water + fresh air = great skin and glowing, youthful energy. And, it's free! I look better now in my forties than I did in my twenties, even after having two children, and it's because I apply my "secret formula" almost daily! : )

Jennifer

Have your heart right with Christ and He will visit you often, and so turn weekdays into Sundays, meals into sacraments, homes into temples and earth into heaven.
~Charles Spurgeon

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  12:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I've begun to notice the jowl thingys coming by my chin. It happened overnight. One day I didn't have them and the next I did LOL. I do color my hair now and then when I feel like it but I'm a cheap skate and buy it when its on sale at Walgreens. I use Revlon too and just color it to match my hair color. Hubby likes me to do it cause he says it makes my hair look too drab if I don't. I'm a dirty dishwater blonde. I don't bother with make up unless I'm going out to eat with hubby or shopping. Sometimes I don't then....depends on my mood. My eyelids are beginning to droop a bit. I'm not especially happy with that but figure now they match my boobs....laughing. I could never have plastic surgery after watching it on tv once on TLC. I'm just not vain enough I guess and have reached the point in life where I don't really care if someone thinks I look attractive or not.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  1:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Truthfully, I've always had this soft under chin, not quite a double chin, even when I weighed 103 pounds, and I cordially loath it. But after seeing friends and people around town who have had every imaginable kind of lift, tuck and re-fashion imaginable, I I just stepped back and decided I'd live with my hated chin. I've been through too much necessary surgery to want to go willingly for the sake of my own vanity. I'm not at all fond of pain !

If a person was in a highly image or brand related career and depended on looking a certain way, why, I'd say go for it. But me, I'm just a near-sighted gimpy ol' farmchick and can live with myself warts and all. Every once in a while I find myself wishing that I was younger, but I also would choose getting older to being the insecure, acceptance obsessed directionless ninny that I was in my teens and 20's!

EDIT:I went looking for rose water cream skin care recipes, and found these two that look easy enough to make and likely much better for your skin than Oil of Olay !

Night-Time Rose Creamy Lotion
Jeanne Rose "Kitchen Cosmetics"

20 fl. oz. Almond oil

16 fl. oz. Rosewater to which have been added 1 oz. dried red Rose petals, this soaked for 3 days, then strained out and removed

3 oz. Beeswax Essence of Rose, if desired

To make: Into a water bath or the top of a double boiler put the oil and the wax. Heat until the wax is dissolved and then remove pot from the fire. Add the Rosewater slowly, beating all the while, and beat until it is cool. At this point add the essence of Rose a drop at a time, if you like. Beat the creamy lotion until cold, pour into a bottle and store away for use.

To use: This lotion makes an excellent Rose Cold Cream to remove old grimy dirt or makeup. Simply apply with clean fingertips and remove with fine tissue. Then you might take a teaspoonful of cornmeal in each palm and rub the hands and face well with it. Rinse with warm water and then cold. Pat the remaining fine film of cream into the skin for night-time smoothing.

Why: Almond oil and Rosewater as we know is an excellent moisturizing lubricant for normal to dry to sensitive skin; cornmeal is a gentle tonic stimulating to the tissues and acts as a "beauty grain".

Tip: Whenever making fine cosmetics always use a porcelain or glass pot. Some beauty experts recommend stainless steel cooking pots but these often leach poisonous heavy metals into the enclosed liquids. Nonmetal is best for herbs.

day rose
Rose Cream for Day Use
Jeanne Rose "Kitchen Cosmetics"

6 fl. oz. Almond oil

2 oz. Beeswax

1 heaping tsp. anhydrous Lanolin

1 tsp. Borax dissolved in 4 fl. oz. Rosewater

2 tsp. Zinc Oxide rubbed into a smooth cream with 4 fl. oz. Almond oil

10-20 drops oil of Rose

Quantity: Makes enough for about three 4 oz. cream jars.

To Make: Heat the beeswax and the lanolin gently in a water bath. Do not let the wax simmer or burn. Remove from heat and add the Almond oil slowly. Add the zinc oxide-Almond oil cream beating the mixture continuously. Add the borax-Rosewater and beat until cool. Add enough oil of Rose to scent the mixture to your liking. Beat until cold with a small wooden spoon. Pour into three 4 oz. cram jars and let sit until solidified.

To Use: This makes an excellent everyday cream that can be used under makeup or as a moisturizer. Simply rub gently onto face, hands or throat. As a throat moisturizer the cream is excellent, especially when rubbed in with a large marble or small avocado pit. rub in gentle circular motions while looking up into the sky, thereby stretching and stimulating your neck muscles.

Why: Almond oil replaces necessary body oils; Rosewater is a gentle astringent and moisturizer replacing liquid to the cells and tightening the skin; lanolin is a potent emollient and very much like human oils; borax is a skin softener and will help to produce a very white cream while its disadvantage is that it often adds a grainy texture; zinc oxide is useful for healing reddened, sore or irritated skin.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Edited by - Annika on Sep 12 2011 2:33:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  3:20:07 PM  Show Profile
In case I don't say it enough - I just love you girls!

Thank you for the recipes, Annika - I will definitely be trying them!!!

I heard this question posed once: For whom does the woman of a blind man make up her face? Hmmm... makes ya think, doesn't it? Claudia - you've got something there! :)

I was looking in the mirror this morning and noticed these weird deep impressions on either side of my mouth - the "jowl thingies" Cheryl was talking about. I gasped. My grandfather had them, my mom has them, and good gravy, now I've got them! And I've also noticed - as has my mother - how much I am starting to look like my grandmother. That's not a bad thing, of course, and it's only in nuances across my face at this point, but it's so there. I kind of feel a comfort in that, because Grandma was beautiful inside and out - it's nice to know I've received yet another gift from her! :) However, I have found myself talking myself out of worrying about it - the aging look - on occasion. It's so funny how inside we feel so young and yet the outside gives away our age. Not fair. I'm not prepared to go careening into my old age, but geez, let's face facts, God made us beautiful just as we are. This is me, and it's not all that bad! I wish I had the glow of youth again, but I've noticed that I get a similar glow whenever I have been working in the garden. I did try a lot of that anti-aging stuff, but my skin is changing now that I'm getting older, and I'm allergic to everything out there. I just use yogurt and aloe vera, or vitamin e oil, baking soda and water to cleanse, and then a little coconut oil afterwards to seal in moisture (the colder the weather, the dryer my skin). My husband says he loves how soft I'm starting to look, and how smooth my skin is. (Gotta love that man!) I dry my hair as little as possible, too, and it's soft and silky. I'm lucky because I have always had poker straight hair, but now it's a bit curly when I dry it naturally. I can blow it straight or air dry into luxuriously soft curls - how nice to have the choice! :) I use very little makeup anymore - usually only if I'm going out in public. But I've found now that I'm older, I look a little China-doll-ish with make-up - it just doesn't look right. Besides, again, I'm allergic. I can't worry about it. I am not ready to give up my hair color yet, but fighting those wiry whites is starting to be a real pain. I'm not sure how to make the transition from color to gray without looking like a skunk at this point, so I sure could use some suggestions! From the time I was a little girl, I've always imagined myself with white, white hair (we have it on both sides) wrapped up in a big Gibson Girl bun, with little ringlets framing my face here and there... I'm not ready to go there now, but I sure hope I get there someday!

I just think if we just take care of ourselves physically, emotionally and spiritually we'll be just fine. I can't keep up with the Kardashians, nor do I want to - eghads, no! I think there's something beautiful about aging gracefully. What I really want to emanate is that beauty of the inner spirit; a warm, clean, bright effervescence of the soul; a beautiful sense of knowledge, love and kindness, combined with a free-spirited laughter and abiding joy... Real beauty does, after all, come from within!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  4:33:17 PM  Show Profile
great words of wisdom Nini - I'll have to agree with every word you wrote, especially that beauty comes from within.
I'll soon be 70 and don't act it, feel it and told I don't look it. Age is just a number, I know some people who are 50 and act like they are 75.
I'm thankful for each day the Lord gives to me :)
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I just love this farmgirl attitude. I want to age gracefully as well. My hair is a natural shade of silver and I've never put anything on it to change the color. I'm starting to get age lines, no real wrinkles yet, but I'm only 60 so I'll get there soon enough.

I like aging softly.

I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  10:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
I agree! This attitude of natural and aging with grace is fabulous! LIke so many of you I remember the day I looked into the mirror and was aghast to notice the "puppy cheeks" I have seen on most of my aged relatives. (Puppy Cheeks is what I always called "jowls" because at that time in my youth I didn't know their name). Yes my puppy cheeks have begun to grow, my hair is mostly gray, but these days I do have a light brown tint added which appears highlighted because of the areas of white hair). I am 61, and thanks to good genes, still look a little younger. I can't wait until my hair has turned all white so I can stop tinting it, or at least until my husbands hair changes color. (I don't want to look like his mother and I have never liked the look of salt/pepper). As for the lines, spots and other signs of age, they don't bother me. I earned every mark of age and am proud to still be here to display them.

It's only my body that is aging, as long as I don't look into the mirror I am still 17.

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree that you don't think about your age until you walk by a mirror and think, "Oh ya, that is what I look like!"
When I let my hair go gray it helped to weave in some dark and light instead of coloring all one color. You don't have to color so often and it gets you use to the idea of being a lighter color.
We worry about what we look like and yet when I think of my grandmothers and great-grandmother, I remember them as lovely white-haired women. So, if that is what my grandchildren think of me, I'll be happy. Only once did I have a grandson say anything bout my hair. I have always had bangs but they were getting long so I just combed them to the side. My 3 year old grandson came to visit but had fallen asleep in the car and as he was trying to wake up he looked at me and said, "Nannie, what happen to yours hair?" He doesn't like me or his mom to change hair styles!

It is what it is and I am blessed to still be healthy and able to do most of the things I would like to do. (Sometimes I wish I couldn't mow the lawn anymore but then it would drive me crazy when it didn't get done!) I am just trying to learn to be gracious and grateful as I continue to age.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  5:55:49 PM  Show Profile
I have really enjoyed everyones posts. I let my hair go grey about 10 years ago after a dye job that went horribly wrong. The funny thing is: I am comfortable with myself but when I go out in public I get either comments that they think my mother is my sister,i'm my Dads wife, etc. or other strange thoughts OR its as if I am not there. A salesperson will speak to whoever I came with (Mom, sister, other relative) and never look or comment to me.
I am a petite lady,normal weight for my height, with nice,modern clothes and makeup on but I get the feeling the grey hair is almost like a threat or shock to others, you know what I mean? It's as if I am someone odd,someone who just needs to get with the game like everyone else. It's too bad and I blame the media and America's obsession with youth and "being perfect" for this attitude.

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6633 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6633 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  04:43:38 AM  Show Profile
I turned 60 this summer and have been reflecting on "growing old" for the past decade. My hair is naturally blond with highlights so I have never used hair color. Now that the grey is coming in, it sort of looks like a different high light. For that I am lucky. My big struggle is the 30 pounds I put on since my second child 28 years ago that never seems to leave my 5'8" frame. IT is not that I am fat, but I am heavier than I should be and this constantly weighs on my mind. I have been to WW and other groups but after a few years, the pounds just creep back on. It is like my new normal wants to be this heavier weight no matter what I do!! And then there has been the arrival of orthopedic issues in the toes and joints of my feet making it hard to find comfortable shoes and work out on the treadmill or elipse at the gym. So, in summary, this I keep struggling against the issues that come with aging that are making my life more difficult and harder to maintain in a healthy balalnce. You know what I mean? Forget the plastic surgery! I need answers to arthritis in joints, "things" that the dermatologist has to remove from my body and biopsy, keeping cholesterol in control, exercising for heart health, etc. etc. These issues don't go away and no plastic surgeon can make you young on the inside. SIGH!! I have got to get to work! Now I am really depressed!!!LOL

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  05:59:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend that one summer worked in a nursing home for extra money. She told me that if you are ever feeling sorry for yourself, feel unlovely, and growing old, go work in a nursing home. She said the resident ladies would tell her how beautiful she was. They loved her pretty clothes and makeup. They admired her jewelry. They loved her smile and laughter. My friend told me that she grew much 'younger' that summer. She still counts her blessing everyday. I count mine too at age 70. P.S. I still have my hair colored.

http://myramblingcountryheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What ever happened to aging gracefully Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page