edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  9:08:51 PM  Show Profile
What is your favorite recipe that includes onions as one of the major ingredients?

I just harvested a huge crop of onions last weekend (a nice mix of yellows, reds and whites - some keepers, others not) and am interested in some fresh ideas for ways to cook or preserve them. We chop and freeze them in containers for winter use. This year my Mom is also deydrating some for soup and stew.

When I ordered my starts last fall the supplier ran out of the size I ordered so instead of cancelling the order they sent me a HUGE bundle that included three times as many plants - in all 6 varieties of onions plus shallots and leeks. I went ahead and planted them all figuring a bunch of them wouldn't survive a wet, soggy Seattle winter. Boy, was I ever WRONG!

So, I would appreciate any ideas my fellow farmgirls can offer up about what to do with them all.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  9:33:55 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a recipe for this but I remember reading about an onion pie. It was thin sliced onions layered in a pie shell with custard like filling. I believe they used a vidalia (sp) type onion. I thought it sounded good but never tried to make it.
Like you I usually chop and freeze or clean small onions and freeze them whole for adding to pot roast and things.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  05:20:59 AM  Show Profile
What about the Ball canning recipe for onion soup? I haven't made it, but that's an idea.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  05:46:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey Marilyn,

Here's one of ours:

Red Onion Jam

3 cups Red onions
1 ½ cups apple juice
½ cup Red wine vinegar
1-½ teaspoons rubbed sage
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 (1.75 ounce) package of powdered fruit pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter

1)Peel, quarter and thinly slice red onions. Measure 3 cups into a 6-8 quart saucepan. Stir in apple juice, vinegar, sage, and pepper.
2)Measure sugars in a different bowl.
3)Stir in fruit pectin into onion mixture in stockpot. Add butter. Over high heat, bring mixture to a full, rolling boil stirring constantly.
4)Quickly stir in sugars. Return to a full, rolling boil, and boil exactly 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5)Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon. Ladle quickly into hot, sterilized half pint jars, filling to within 1/8-inch of the tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with lids and screw bands tightly. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Yield: 5-6 (half-pint) jars.

Serve with cream cheese and crackers or as a glaze for roasted chicken. It's also great with roast beef and havarti on grilled sourdough bread :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  11:06:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Marilyn.....here's a recipe I got from a co-worker about 20 years ago! It's a great side dish or I really, really love onions.....so I don't need anything else!! :)

HEAVENLY ONIONS by Rosemary

3 large Bermuda Onions (Vadalia, 1015's) or 5 of any other
Slice and brown in pan with 2T butter or margarine.
Place in 9x13 pan.

Heat 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/4 can milk
1/2 tsp pepper
1 T Soy Sauce
Mix and pour over onions.

Slice enough French bread (about 3/4" thick) to cover the onions.
Butter on both sides and place on top of the onions in pan.

Cover with 1 lb Swiss cheese (shredded).

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

These are so sweet with the right onions it is almost like dessert....If my onions aren't quite sweet enough for me, I sprinkle a few tablespoons of sugar or maple syrup over the onions as they cook.:) Just my choice.

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  1:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Onion and cheese pie, really really good...
thinly slice enough red onions to cover the bottom of a 8 in doughpie crust, shred cheddar and jack cheese , layer on top of onions, chop up roma tomatoes, enough to lightly cover cheese, add another layer of onions and cheese, whip 4 xtra large eggs with a dash of pepper and seasoning salt, dump over onion/cheese/tomatoe layers, do not stir, bake at 325 till egg is set, about 25 min.s...serve warm (I have added bell peppers, mushrooms and sausage and its good also)

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  9:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes. I've never heard of Onion Jam but will be trying it out soon! Am also curious to try the onion cheese pie with tomatoes since I have lots of Romas now too.

Here is one of my favorite recipes for onion pie:

Elsa Grossrieder's Onion Pie

1 Tbsp Butter
6 Slices Bacon chopped
7 Large Onions sliced
2 Tbsp Flour

Cook bacon and onions in frying pan with butter. Add flour once onions are soft, simmer and let cool.

3 Eggs
1 Tbsp Caraway seeds
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tsp salt

Beat egg in bowl then add seeds, milk and salt. Combine Onion mixture with egg mixture and stir well. Season with salt or soy sauce to taste.

Fold mixture into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes or until browned. This pie is traditionally served for dinner in Switzerland.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Sep 09 2011 4:42:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite Onion recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page