MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chickies! I have a question for all you Fowl savvy Farmgals. We are thinking about getting some Turkeys. We already have three Chickens who enjoy a large coop and run. They also "free range" a bit. Here's my question, can Turkeys and Chickens be kept together? Or do they require separate coops and runs? Thanks in advance for answering my question!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Edited by - MEWolf on Sep 02 2011 4:18:04 PM

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile
I have been wondering this as well, for future use. I was told by one person that turkeys are too mean to be kept with chickens, but then I visited a friend who had hers all living together. Maybe it depends on the birds?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  4:04:24 PM  Show Profile
I never mix them for many reasons, one being size differance, especially the toms, which will fight with chickens as they tend to be territorial, also disease, and then if you are butchering, the stress you put on the chickens when you are grabbing the other is hard on them, plus the food differance also...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  5:33:11 PM  Show Profile
My turkeys and chickens run together. My tom is actually afraid of the rooster. The roo lets him know even though he's bigger, he can still whoop him. I feed them together but end up letting the turkeys out because the chickens are very greedy. So then I have to feed the turkeys over again when they get out. The turkeys are 14 months old and very friendly. I am trying to sell them though because they have to be in everything. Right in the middle of it. They are sweet birds though. One of the turkey hens is sitting on a nest so in about 3 more weeks we will have some more little ones to sell too.

You just have to do what feels right to you. I have heard when I first got the turkeys, to not keep them with chickens because of some disease they can get form the chickens that's really horrible and will kill them. White lung or something. But I have not lost any to that.

But as far as turkeys being mean with chickens, it's the other way around here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  05:18:44 AM  Show Profile
We keep our turkeys and chickens together and have not had any problems at all.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Turkeys get something fatal called "blackhead" from chicken poop. You can vaccinate them for it and if you do that it will never be a problem, some hatcheries even innoculate your poults before shipping if you pay for the shots, or you can just make sure your turkeys never come in contact with chicken feces.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  8:25:16 PM  Show Profile
yes jen is right on about the disease. my turkeys got it. i had to kill and bury them. so it can happen. i think size of area makes a big difference. out running around free range may not be an issue. mine were penned in a yard and coop. very sad for us and the birds were very sick. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and Turkeys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page