Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Found a cute trailer...is it a good price?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Found a cute trailer...is it a good price? Next Topic  

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile
I found out about a cute 1958 camp trailer near here that is for sale. It is obviously an old girl and she shows her age, BUT it looks to be have been well cared for and is has been painted. I'd say it is maybe 15 feet long - it is small and has the rounded roof at both ends. The lady who owns it used it for camping and when she was young, she lived in it for a winter. I haven't spoken to her yet, she's gone on vacation. I'd like to tell you the make, but I couldn't find any thing on it. I peeked into the windows and it is clean, everything is original. All of the windows looks to be sound and in working condition. The owner told a friend of mine (who told me about the trailer) that is has never leaked. My question is this: Is $1500 a good price. I don't have a clue.

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  08:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm no expert on this subject but it sounds good to me. Check the floors. Look under everything and inside the cabinets for evidence of leaking. Does the floor feel strong? Give the walls the finger test. Poke at them with your finger to see if there is rot that has been painted over. Especially near the seams and roof line. The other thing is to look at the frame underneath. I so hope you find it to be perfect! I'd love to have an old one. We have a reproduction Scotty Highlander. It is really vintage looking but nothing beats the real thing.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  08:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Connie, if you do everything she said it might be worth it...and if it is an old AIR STREAM it really will be worth it...those are highly sought after...good luck...keep us posted...and take pics if you can.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  08:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I just went to this website and it looks like you can see trailers around that age and see what they are selling for

http://www.tincantourists.com/classified/showcat.php?si=1958&x=10&y=3&perpage=12&sort=2&stype=&cat=3&ppuser=

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful! Heck, I was made in 1958 as well!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  5:05:14 PM  Show Profile
I have no idea about prices for vintage campers - but I've been dreaming about having one ever since I heard about the sister on the fly and all the other farmgirls who have glammed up their vintage campers. If it passes the tests recommended by Connie, it sounds like a good price. I'd love to see pictures too.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  8:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Shery,,,
It's me, katmom! grace....are you 'finaly' come play with us 'Sisters on the Fly'???
In a nut shell, simply let your eyes & nose be your guide...
Bring a flash light & screw driver....
If you smell a strong musty moldy odor, there is rot...
Look inside every cabinet using the flas light to see if there is any traces of water damage....
Also lift up the wood seat of the Bankette to see if there is rot in the under storage. Snoop around the sofa/bed as well.
Walk around in tiny steps to 'feel' any give on the floor....
Now go outside & with your flash light & screw driver look all around and poke around the edges & corners(underside wood) to see if the wood is solid or if your screwdrive penetrates easily...
If this trailer has been stored out side all it's life it will have some issues,,, if it has been tarped, it might have weathered the seasons better...and if stored inside a barn...lucky you!
Almost all vintage trailers have issues,,,after all they are 50+ years old.
Just remember, price all depends on the desire & market....
I only paid $500 for my '63 Serro Scotty & it was in good shape with the eception of small dents.
I paid $900 for my '59 Aljo which had major (but fixable) issues.
My '64 Field Craft had the back end cut off-probably to remove rot damage...I paid $400 for.
Canned hams are some what oval in shape...(think 'DAK' canned ham tins)
You will find that Shastas bring a higher price because everyone wants a Shasta...
If you can still read the VIN# on the tongue of the hitch you can get your Dept of Lic to tell you the date & model...unless the owner has a current Title with all the info on it, which includes make, year, length & weight.
With out seeing the trailer, I am reluctant to say if $1.500.00 is good or over priced. But if the interior is in excellent condition and the exterior as well,,,,for sure , that's not a bad price.
Remember, the cost of the trailer is the cheap part,,,, it's the Glam & Bling that will put you into the poorhouse! trust me, I know lol!
if the colors are white, yellow, tourquoise or pink most likely the trailer is from the 50-60's..late 60's ventured into the orange, greens & browns.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions.... would love to chat trailers with you.
These old 'gals' have their issues, but heck, like us,,,a little love & bling will keep them & us purring!
hugz & happy trails

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  8:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh & I almost forgot, yes, TinCanTourist is a great site as is the National Serro Scotty site and of cource Sisters on the Fly... go to their trailer caravan page, I think were up to 75 pages of photos of cute lil trailers. You might even see one that looks like the one you have your eyes on.
Have fun.
Karen~kpaints,(here @ MJF) is on the last page with her '69 Shasta, 'Driving Ms Daisy'....

In fact she is hosting a 'Trailer Slumber Party" later this month for a bunch of us to camp out on her 10acre property.... Like we say, We have more fun then anyone....making girls outta women! lol!
Wagons HO!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Sep 02 2011 8:19:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6601 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6601 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  05:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Sherry- I know nothing about trailers but I fully understand the drive to find a "Glamper" and join others who are having tons of fun!! I hope this one pans out for you but if not, it sounds like they are around and persistence will pay off. Remember MaryJane said it took her 5 years to finally find that little farm she could afford? And now look at that purchase!!--What an amazing dream come true. Keep us posted if it all works out and we want to see photos too!! Good Luck!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

duckmama
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Robin
Minnesota
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  05:58:43 AM  Show Profile
I just bought my first as a brithday present to myself (it has been a life changing summer and I needed to do something positive for me). I have been working hard the last 3 weeks prepping it for its first trip, I leave tonight to join other Tin Can Tourists. I have pulled out and recaulked all the windows, cleaning them and replacing screws while I was at it. I have replaces the mattress and the dinette cushions , they were all missing, and have made new curtains. I have stripped the black marble contact paper off the table top and the counter and exposed the original formica. I have been busy, but it has been theraputic during a rough patch in my life. I hope to post pictures the next few days.

Duck Knoll Farm
Driven 2 Distraction
driven2distraction.biz

Designing Green
Living Green
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  8:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Robin,
How Wonderful! I am so happy for you & your lil 'glamper'.... Hope you have a wonderfu; 'maiden voyage' & be sure to post pics of her.
Wagons HO!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Found a cute trailer...is it a good price? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page