Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Score! Vintage kids books Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:16:49 PM  Show Profile

Yay! I just found these at a garage sale. Might be a little hard to read all the titles, but I hope some of you recognize a few of these. Got some Five Little Peppers, some Nancy Drew, some Robin Kane, and others I don't recognize at all.

Most of them are published by Whitman, which did authorized editions of tv novelizations in the 50s-60s. I had a few as a kid, so I'm always excited to find more!

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile
Amie,

What a great find! Hope you enjoy them. I loved Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon the most when I was a kid. They look to be in great condition.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  09:00:32 AM  Show Profile
Great Finds, Amie--I know I've read a few (like...the Phantom Stallion, the Sorrel Stallion and Fury)...yep, a girl from Kentucky reads whatever she can about horses!!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Amie,
What a wonderful find!
I collect the old blue cover Nancy Drew books. When we were on vacation I managed to find 2 Trixie Belden books and one called Candy Kane. Similar to Trixie Belden. Plus a bunch more because my husband and I are bookworms.

Today I was at the thrift and found a bunch of books that were new when I was a kid. They are called Elf books and Junior Elf books. Does anyone remember those? I managed to find 8 of them.
I also found a Treasury of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter and an old copy of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Plus 2 more books. They are all in beautiful condition and I got them all for 25 cents a piece.

I can't seem to leave books alone. If my house is ever over run by something it is bound to be books!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 01 2011 11:58:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile
The Nancy Drew books I read as a kid were the ones with picture covers, and I thought it would be fun to read some of the older ones. I'd heard that the company authors totally reworked the stories from one generation to the next, and boy is that true! I think I like the sassier Nancy from the 30s more than the cool and sophisticated Nancy of the 60s.

I have quite a few of the Trixie Belden series, and also a block of Bobbsey Twins. Truth be told, I never cared all that much for the Bobbsey Twins. But these books were always available on the "kids shelf" at my grandmother's house and I treasure them for that reason.

Does anyone but me remember the Timber Trail Riders? (The left book in the second row is one of that series.) I had just one growing up, and I'd never seen another one until now.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  06:58:01 AM  Show Profile
love these, recognize the Fury and Lassie books too.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  07:35:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, I've seen some of the Timber Trail books in some of the places we frequent for old books.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Score! Vintage kids books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page