Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 what'cha readin' these hot humid days?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what'cha readin' these hot humid days? Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  06:31:51 AM  Show Profile
i've mostly been going through my garden and cookbooks ... haven't settled down lately to a book with chapter to chapter readin'!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  4:37:01 PM  Show Profile
I have read recently - Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky , Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory, and The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig. All good books. But like Lori - my fave is the Bible. And believe me, it is not a quick read. But the best you will find. :)

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 12 2006 3:31:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile
Just finished HOW TO THINK LIKE LEONARDO DA VINCI by Micheal Gelb
now I'm reading HOW TO MAKE ONE HELL OF A PROFIT AND STILL GET INTO HEAVEN by Dr John Demartini
finally reading some books that I've had awhile.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  07:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I am reading a book called "You're Not You" by Michelle Wildgen. It is a novel about a college student who takes a job as a caregiver for a young woman in the final stages of Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a great look at the relationship and intimacy that evolves in a caregiving role.

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  09:32:34 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "Endless Chain" by Emilie Richards right now and have the new Fannie Flagg book "Can't wait to get to Heaven" waiting to be next!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- I think you will love "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" It made me laugh in so many places and has such a tender feel to it. I want an Aunt Elner!!
I haven't read much of anything this summer because I am so hooked on Sudoku!! Aargh.

Karin

Edited by - Mumof3 on Aug 05 2006 2:26:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I have "The Whistling Season" at home right now. Guess that I need to get it read asap since it is due back to the library shortly.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke. This will be my second time to read it.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  12:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, I'm reading "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner..my bed-time reading, which sounds morbid but is actually a fascinating read. During the day I nibble at "The Unending Mystery; a Journey Through Labyrinths and Mazes" by David Willis McCullough. Fascinating book that I've wanted to read since building my own labyrinth. I realize now that I've had several misconceptions about the origins of these ancient walkways.. I also do Sudoku puzzles whenever I can too..they are so addicting!
Many smiles to you, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  3:16:44 PM  Show Profile
Kelly A, that book "you're not you" is one that I will rush out to get. I am a caregiver (I work in a nursing home that is home to people of all ages) and right now there is a man that is in his 50's that I am taking care of that has ALS....very sad....anyhoo...I am currently reading "Eat Mangos naked" by SARK (Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) it is a fun. light, somewhat of a self help book, filled with humor...She's my fav author..

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  5:47:06 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "Can't wait to get to heaven" by Fannie Flagg...and like all the gals said i would..I adored it!!! I am reading "The Covenant" by Beverly Lewis right now. I like those Amish books for light reading.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  12:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Our library doesn't have the new Fannie Flagg book but it's on order. I've read all the others except Fried Green Tomatoes so I got that one -- love the movie and I'm sure the book is better. I also got a book called Frontier House, the PBS series that was so good. It's full of pictures and has lots of behind the scenes info about the families as well as real homesteaders. So far it's really good. Waiting for more Beverly Lewis books to come in to the library. I love her Amish stories and found a whole series that I hadn't read so I ordered that online last night.

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 13 2006 12:00:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  01:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kay,
The frontier house book sounds very interesting, I will have to go check it out!! And also the ones you mentioned about Amish stories...are they true stories, based on true stories, or just pure fiction? I love stories based on historical fact or true stories even better. Am always on the lookout for these kind of books!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  9:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I love reading - and I love to re-read all the classics over and over.
Talitha, the Beverley Lewis books are on amazon (oh no - not more!!!) and they are fiction, family saga type novels. I haven't read any as they don't have them here in our library. I loved watching Frontier House - I wanted to buy the DVD from amazon, but funds will not allow!! I haven't seen the book though.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  9:26:54 PM  Show Profile
I loved Frontier house too! We taped it and then loaned the tape to someone and never got it back..I want the DVD and the book..someday. I havn't seen the book yet..but know I would love it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  10:16:01 PM  Show Profile
We all watched Frontier House together and my girls (aged 8 and 10) loved it - I think it crystallised in their minds the whole farm dream that Mum has been going on about for years!! There was a family with teenage daughters and the way they changed over the series was fantastic to watch - it really brought home to me why I want my children to grow up on a farm, learning 'real' things. I will have to look for the book, I think - amazon must love me!!
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  03:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I never saw it...SOMETHING else I should look at lol How wonderful!! I just love books and think they are one of the very best things in thre world...and some movies too! ...Am off to Amazon....(which is always open when I am on so I can go look at such things!)
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  7:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Before bed I'm reading Tomb of the Golden Bird, by Elizabeth Peters and at lunch at work I'm reading parts of MJ's that I skipped over the first time. Waiting in the wings is one of the Vampire Hunter series from Laura K Hamilton.... I mostly check out what the local library has.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  8:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
these are going to sound weird to most people but here it goes any way . Just finished
"The Proper Role of Goverment " by Ezra taft Benson,
" Positive Imaging the powerful way to change your life" by Norman Vincent Peale,
The Constitution of the United States,
"Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert T. Kiyosaki ( read these last month)

Currently reading
"The Law " by Frederic Bastiat
" The Great Apostasy" by James E Talmage
' Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom" byRobert T. Kiyosaki

I know not your normal reading.

then I read what ever book fits my current project I am making. I think tomorrow it will be MJ book if it comes in the mail then I have to edit some patterns sounds all good to me.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 03 2006 3:09:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile
I've had some interesting books this month.

Is Belief in God Good, Bad or Irrelevant?: A Professor And a Punk Rocker Discuss Science, Religion, Naturalism & Christianity (Paperback)
by Preston Jones (Editor)and Greg Gaffin

This is an edited collection of emails back and forth between the two. Remarkably, it does not get ugly. Sunshine, you should check it out!

Three Novels of Suspense by Mary Stewart (Madam, Will You Talk?; Nine Coaches Waiting; My Brother Michael)

I love books from the 1950s and 60s. It's so interesting to see how different the world was even within relatively recent history. This is the same woman who wrote the Arthurian trilogy (The Crystal Cave, etc.)

Farm Wanted, by Mary Train Hilles

Author appears to have been a society lady from NYC who bought a vacation home upstate and ended up turning it back into a working farm. Published 1950. I picked up the book at a garage sale out in the country. I saw the greatest little farm for sale in the same area...if anyone is in the market for 20 acres in Dansville, NY there is a beautiful blue house with a large barn on Lander Road!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  5:50:46 PM  Show Profile
I just read The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. It was excellent. If you read The Secret Life of Bees (if you didn't, RUN to the library or beg a friend to loan it to you right this minute!)you will enjoy it. It was a nice paced book that was very well written. If you are into quilting (and even if you are not) the books by Jennifer Chiaverini are beautiful stories about women helping one another in life. I also loved Charms for the Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons. It is a beautiful story about three generations of women loving and caring for one another.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile
I love all the books you mentioned..but havn't read Charms for the Easy life..will have to look for that one!! Sounds like we have the same taste in books..those are some of my very favorites!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  05:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Today I'am going to start reading a book our CC. Frannie recomended, HETTY HER FIRST 100 YEARS. Ordered it used, would love to have the Hetty doll, but she costs 100 dollars or more. So don't think I will be seeing her here anytime soon, unless Frannie would like to send me hers. HA!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  2:16:35 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls

I just love Jennifer C's books even though I am not a quilter. Have not tried Kaye Gibbons--will check her out. I just finished a new book called Golden Country by Gilmore. It is the story of a group of Jewish immigrants who come to the US from Russia and the horrible programs. The story follows 3 generations of family members. Really enjoyed it. I am Jewish so I really liked that part but feel that others could enjoy the story also.

Today I started a book called Butter in the Well about a Swedish woman and her family who settled in Saline County, Kansas in 1868. Written in diary form-makes me feel like I know her especially since my maternal grandfather's family immigrated to Illinois from Sweden.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile
AmieC-- If you like the Mary Stewart style of book, you would probably like Victoria Holt as well. Written in the 50's-70's , she wrote alot of historical fiction with a female "heroine".

Kaye Gibbons has a new Ellen Foster book out "The Life All Around Me"
and it is very good I LOVED Charms for the Easy Life and her other books too!
I am currently reading: Benjamin Franklin: An Autobiography,
If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende (News from Small town Alaska) and The Ladies of Garrison Gardens by Louise Schaffer. The Time Traveller's wife was strange but good also. I have a book for bed, soccer practice, school pickup and usually somewhere else so I am always reading. It has been something I have been voracious about since I met the school librarian the second day of kindergarten and she found out I could already read. She just took me under her wing and made sure I got to read all her favorites and my parents did the same so I have always LOVED books.

And Connie... from all the people you help to do the same, we salute you! A job well done! Librarians rock!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic what'cha readin' these hot humid days? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page