marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2005 :  06:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Hard to believe you are so dry in one area and so wet in another. We are having yet more snow today, but on the whole have had a very weird winter with snow, melt downs and freezing rain. Most winters we have so much snow we don't know where to go with it. As the snow is beginning to melt down here now- for spring I hope, there is so much mud. I don't think commercial cleaners have ever been tested on country mud or dust for that matter. I was at my parents yesterday in the city where I usually clean my mom's house but I didn't need to dust, as there really wasn't any. Here on the farm the dust just cakes on in a matter of two days.I gave up on cleaners a long time ago and use a lot of vinegar now.

Simply Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2005 :  08:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Here's a link to an article on spring bulbs, specifically daffodils by master gardener, Ciscoe Morris. Some good tips here and things that I will be trying! Hope it helps y'all too! http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/216224_ciscoe17.html

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2005 :  09:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare, I guess it is worth it to read the paper once in a while. If I had any idea I could move my bulbs in spring I would have saved chopping them in half while hunting for them in fall to move or divide them! I do a lot of what he suggest here to increase their effective impact on the gloomy spring grey skies that we usually have here. They are always in danger of over crowding here due to the fact i like to plant the bulbs in big boquets! To avoid the vole destruction of their root systems I plant in pots in some areas of my garden so they start as 4 to 6 bulbs in a 6 inch pot set in the ground and bloom for several years until they become so root bound I have to dig them up and divide them . Funny thing about those black plastic nursery pots, They seem to deteriorate underground and the bulbs break them open to spread beyond the original area I put them. When I dig them up it takes some time to detangle the root mass of dozens of young bulbs.
Still my crop multiplies. Some do not bloom again for 2 or 3 years after I treat them to this division but eventually they return to bloom again.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2005 :  09:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Eileen...The garden section every Thursday, for sure, and sometimes the arts and entertainment section on the weeked, are the extent of my newspaper reading.... part of my "limit the negativity input" health perspective! I agree, some new ideas to make taking care of my bulbs easier. Can't beat that!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2005 :  7:34:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare for the link! Very informative...I printed it up to add to my garden references!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, Did you get that rain I saw on the weather map in Washington?As I sit here I am enjoying a beautiful rain! We are supposed to recieve 2 inches this week! Thanks for the prayers! What a great gift for the first day of spring!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  1:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Boy oh boy have we had a storm! Talk about a weather change! It was so windy that even with earplugs I could not sleep. Sounded like a freight train going over the top of the yurt. The rain was astonishing. we must have got about 3 inches in one afternoon. After having none for so long it is a welcome thing but it is just so much so fast that I think it has a hard time soaking in and we loose a lot of the benefit as it runs out to sea before soaking in. Things have perked up but the temperature went down to freezing again and everything is cold. Even the humming birds seem to be shivering and needing a lot more food so the fighting over the feeders is noisy.It has warmed up this afternoon and the sun is out here but there are still a lot of people without power as trees went down everywhere. We were fortunate in that none of our trees came crashing downI planted peas the day before the downpour and for some reason I decided to put a cover over them to keep out the birds. Glad I did or the rain would have washed them all out.
Having a wonderful day otherwise. Allergies are a problem here too especially now that the maple are pollinating but the rain helped to clear out the air.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  5:27:02 PM  Show Profile
WE had snow this morning...it didn't stick and it got up to 40 later today..real cloudy though...we are supposed to be having some sort of storm come in. I hope the girls (goats) don't pick tonight to have their babies!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic enjoying my daffodils Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page