MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  07:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chickies! I am very excited, as I canned my very first batch of Sauerkraut I have ever made yesterday! I had purchased a Harsch Gairtopf Fermenting Crock Pot prior to our move, and a week after I moved in I started a batch of Sauerkraut using the recipe from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I checked it two days ago, and tasted it, and it was wonderful! Sweet and salty at the same time. And I am thrilled! It is so much tastier than the stuff you buy in jars or cans in the grocery store! Anyone else a Sauerkraut fan like me?

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Edited by - MEWolf on Aug 26 2011 07:25:28 AM

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:02:24 AM  Show Profile
I looove sauerkraut but have never made it from scratch. I'm a one or two time a year eater, though because it doesn't love me as much ;)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:32:13 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about "love me as much" Jonni. I eat it one day and it is total diarrhea the next. If I cook it completely, then the results are much different.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:43:46 AM  Show Profile
I loooove sauerkraut. My husband does not love me though after I have eaten it. lol

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:58:54 AM  Show Profile
I love it also!!! I made some a couple of years ago, canned it and enjoyed it. It's time to make some more, but dropped my 4 gallon crock, broke the crock, 17 stitches in my leg where it landed and haven't found another crock at a reasonable price. I'm still looking, I would love to have more for the next two years. Love Love Love it!!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  09:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Betty, can you clarify what you mean by cooking it completely? I usually make it with mets in a crockpot, or bake it with breaded porkchops, with much the same result.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  09:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Margaret, I loooove sauerkraut and make mine in my grandmother's old kraut crocks. Can't handle the storebought now!! We cure it down in our tornado shelter! Perfect temp and keeps the smell out of the house. Grandmother used to cure it down in her crawlspace under the house which was pretty deep. I posted pictures at the blog when I did my first attempt at doing it like she did.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  6:54:25 PM  Show Profile
I want one of those crocks so bad. I just made 2 quarts of kraut yesterday. I do it the Wild Fermentation way. Just cut the cabbage up real fine, beat it to pieces with salt and smash it in jars and leave it on the counter for a few days. It is so easy and so good. I actually had some in the fridge I had made a long time ago stuck in the back and I got it out a few weeks ago and it was nice and soft nd really good. I have been eating it. It is so good for your gut. But I guess it does not agree with everyone.

Jonni and Betty, I wonder if you tried this recipe if it would be better fo you. You can also put a few Tbl. of whey in to help the fermentation process. This is the way I do beets too. Now that is some good stuff.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  7:14:12 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor freezes her saurekraut and hubby thinks we should too. We are already out of space and I'd rather not, but I have canned it in the past and it looses something. I've read about just storing it in jars after fermentation and leaving it in the cellar. Anyone just do that?

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ummmmm...Sauerkraut! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page