Page: of 2

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  05:12:56 AM  Show Profile
My father always had a favorite that has become my favorite. It's by the 19th century philosopher, James Allen: "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." We become what we think about.

He had another that I love, by Earl Nightingale: "Our rewards in life will always be in exact proportion to our contribution; our service."

And the philosopher Andre Gide: "What another would have done as well, do not do. What another would have said as well, do not say; written as well, do not write. Be faithful to that which lies nowhere but in yourself, and there, be indispensable."

Edited by - Horseyrider on Sep 02 2006 05:13:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  3:30:10 PM  Show Profile
My father used to say (God rest his soul):
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." I just love it when a situation comes along and I can quote him to my children. I also like his, "You draw more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."
I may just stitch that on a pillow!
Barbara in Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  1:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
I am the kind of girl who always comes back with, SO to almost everything my mom says(typical teenage remark)? So, one day my grandma said, Sew Buttons on Ice Cram! So, now I amlways find myself saying that everytime I, or some one els, say SO.
-Heather

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet." -Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite sayings is something my husband always says when someone asks "what can you do?" (with regards to a situation where you CAN'T really do anything to change it), he replies, "throw rocks at airplanes". In other words, don't waste your time doing something that isn't going to accomplish anything.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic favorite 'sayings/proverbs' Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page