CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile
eyes popped open at about 5 a.m. .. 'to-do' list rambling through my brain .. decided i'd had enuff SLEEP .. so here i am on the computer .. trying to get back to bunches of ya' "Ya-Ya's" who wrote whilst i was away!

well POOP!!! i hear tell that our precious Lucy's Restaurant lost by about FOUR votes!!! It will ALWAYS be a WINNER with me!! and i want to thank each and everyone of you from the bottom of my heart for all your votes and letting all the gurlfrenz (and boyfrenz) know about it and for their votes too! I have about 200+ names on the list to make copies of and put 'in the hat' for the drawing for all those prizes! will get to that sometime today hopefully .. and thank you again so very much for voting! doooooooo come to Greensburg and i'll take you there!

was going to post some pictures from my fun week .. but my camera battery is 'deader than a doorknob' (as my nannie usta' say!) ... sooooo .. i have to 'juice it up' before i can post some pics ...
LATER: well shoooooooooooooot!!! i can't find my camera battery OR the plug in thingie .. i sure hope i didn't lose it in my travels ... sooooooooo .. no pictures right now until i either find it or buy a new one! meanwhile .. here's my little 'newsy' letter from my trip to ohio last week. xo
===============

had an urgin' to head toward virginia to visit my dad and family .. jus' upped and threw some stuff in the car at 9:00 p.m. on sunday night (hank thinks i am certifiably crazy .. but he is pretty used to my 'serendipity' after 30 years of marriage!)
got as far as louisville .. and started worrying that i didn't bring enuff 'insulin' to cover me for this long trip .. and i am NOT good at driving long distances .. it's about 14 hours to 'back home'. figgered that would take me a week to just get there and another one to get home .. by the time i stopped at every antiques shoppe in my path!
sooooooooooooo .. jus' before midnight .. i hooked a sharp left and headed north towards TOLEDO .. i reeeeeeeeely wanted to 'pat wednesday's belly' before that baby pops out .. and OH MY GOODNESS .. sure wish i could find that camera battery to show you pics of her tummy! i SWEAR .. she is the size of a big watermellon or huge pumpkin! still all out front .. round and low .. yep! we're thinkin' a BOY. had fun all week going through baby name books .. never did come up with the 'magic' name that both frank and wednesday loved! she has a GIRL name picked out .. just in case .. but i am sworn to secrecy!

had such fun with that little lucas. he started his first day at kindergarten .. YEP! lotsa' pictures on that dead camera of mine! and we hit "Toys R Us" .. cuz' i had an idea for our belated birthday gift to him .. but wanted to be there when he picked it out! got him one of those big battery 'cars' ... soooooooo many to choose from! right away .. he hopped on a big red FOUR WHEELER .. and from the smile on his face .. i knew this was the perfect one!
it goes up to FIVE miles per hour ... and he rode it every day i was there ... come rain or come shine! i took him over to his school (which is ONE BACKYARD away from his house) .. and let him ride on the edge of the school grounds .. the older kids were on the playground .. and here comes three little girls in uniforms running towards him calling out: "LUCAS .. LUCAS" ..
he revved that machine up to it's full FIVE miles per hour .. and went riding toward them .. they squealed and giggled and ran! Since i didn't want to get him expelled from kindergarten his first week at school .. i figured we better get back over to OUR YARD! ... they live in a secluded cul de sac ... with a big circle in front of their home .. so he put lots of mileage on that machine riding up and down and all around! he ran up over big dirt piles and dropped back down like a pro! Wednesday called me last night to tell me i had created a "teenager" by getting him this thing. She said he went to the end of the block and picked up an 8 year old girl on the back of his four-wheeler and brought her home .. both smiling big as the moon!

such a fun and relaxing week ... lordy! i loves them chilluns!!!

===============

left toledo friday morning about 9:00 a.m. .. heading 'south' towards Kentucky! stopped at Jeffrey's (a HUGE antiques shoppe in Findley, Ohio) .. started loading up the van with treasures!

Jeffrey's Antiques ... EXIT 161 at I-75 & Township Road 99 .. www.jeffreysantique.com 419-423-7500

took a 'lunch break' .. then back to Jeffreys to do the 'other side' of the shoppe!!! After leaving Jeffreys with a buncha' treasures I roamed all over Findley until i found "The Farmhouse" a VERY CHARMING folky, primitive shoppe i had visited a DOZEN years ago with friend and artist extra-ordinairre, Linda Koch. The shoppe was as charming as it had been years before! Had such a nice chat with owner Darlene (who remembered me!!!) and her sidekick (feel terrible .. but i didn't get her name!) I'm hoping they will amble south and come visit Cabin Creek sometime soon! the Farmhouse has the nicest and largest selection of homespuns i've ever seen! and adorable "needlepunch' patterns and the tools to do it with! ... and FABULOUS hand-dyed WOOLS for all kinds of crafting! Also has fantastic patterns .. for quilts, woolies and all manner of fun things to make. I discovered a 'craft' that i haven't tried my hand at yet ...

Darlene's Darlin' shoppe also has a great selection of hand-dids for decorating your primitive homes!! I loved the 'make-do' pincushions that friend Linda made. NOW .. mind you .. i lost sweet Linda's address when moving to Kentucky .. and THIS will be the first time she has heard from me in EONS! Hey! Linda Sweetie pie!! Soooooooo gooooooood to reconnect with olde friends. I sure enjoyed your visits to Crooked Tree Hollow and look forward to you coming to Kentucky (a lot closer to you than Maryland!!!) to visit me here at Cabin Creek Farm. Come on down when miz Darlene comes to visit! (jus' wait t'il after all these babies in my family are born this month!!)

After leaving The Farmhouse .. i continued south and stopped at Wapakoneta .. just in time to hit my favorite antiques shoppe before it closed. (I only had ten minutes to shoppe .. but ran like a mad-woman up and down the aisles and managed to drop an armload of goodies on the counter before they locked the doors on me!) Auglaize Antique Mall - 200 booths ... on 3 floors .. 116 W. Auglaize - 419-738-8004 .. several more shoppes in this little town too! (you can take EXIT 111 or EXIT 113 off of I-75 to get to this quaint little town.) OHIO

Had a delightful dinner at a great little restaurant in town .. THEN .. if you can believe this .. I went to the MOVIES .. in the sweetest theatre built many moons ago! It was the old-timey kind .. sooooooooo much nicer than the big mega-theatres! Saw ACCEPTED .. silly but gave me the giggles!

Got out of the movie at about 8:00 p.m. ... and pondered whether to stay at Wapakanetta and hit my favorite shoppe again in the morning and the other antiques shoppes in town .. but being an 'early riser' .. i knew i'd have to hang around two or three hours before the shoppes opened at 10 a.m. .. and decided to use that time to get to another destination ... pulled out my ohio map ... closed my eyes and put my finger on a spot .. it was close to SPRINGFIELD ... and i knew there were several BIG antiques malls in that town .. soooooooo .. (now sing this part): "ON THE ROAD AGAIN ... " .. drove a coupla' more hours .. ended up roaming the backroads of Springfield looking for a hotel .. when WHAMMO! my sugars dropped to my toes! I found what looked like a 'safe' place to pull over by a field near a community of homes. GOBBLED some chocolate and laid my head back on the headrest and closed my eyes ... LORDY! next thing i knew .. FLASHING LIGHTS and i'm surrounded by COPS!!!! With flashlights shining into my van! Now if you don't know what a 'sugar low' LOOKS like .. picture a bleary eyed, stuttering DRUNK! It is a wonder they didn't make me get out and (sing this one too!!!) "WALK THE LINE"!!! I slurred at the cop that i pulled over because i was having a 'diabetic sugar low'!! LUCKILY .. i did have my blood glucose monitor in my hand and chocolate stuck in my teeth!!! Seems i had parked behind a bush which had a 'SHED' in the backyard .. The very nice policeman who looked to be about twelve years old, apologized and explained that the man who lived in the house said his 'shed' had been broken into and he saw my car parked on the road behind the bushes near his shed and he called to have me checked out.

This nice little boy-policeman didn't even ask for my driver's lisence or registration .. just asked me if i needed some help. I asked him to let me check my sugars again before he left .. (they were up to 65 .. sooo he told me to stay there until i felt better then he gave me directions to a nearby motel and said he would check back in about fifteen minutes to see if i was o.k.) I was gone and asleep in a cozy bed before he had a chance to get back to me. I gotta' watch my sugars more closely when i travel alone!!

Early next morning .. i was up and hitting three big antiques shoppes in Springfield .. they were 'o.k.' and i'm glad i went there .. but didn't get anything wonderful wonderful! Just some nice little 'smalls'.

AAA 1-70 Antriques Mall (937-324-8448 .. and Springfield Antique Center (937-322-8868
(Both on 1-70 EXIT 59.) (springfield, ohio)

AND: anoather Jeffrey's ... www.jeffreysantique.com (exit 59 at 1-70 & U.S. 41)

Left Springfield and headed for Waynesville! Gosh .. that little town is picking back up (although my most favorite garden-y primitive shoppe did close down! A few of the shoppes are more like MUSEUMS of very early furniture and 'smalls' .. EYE-CANDY .. what a delight to just walk around in them .. sure wish i had a secret camera to take lotsa' pictures!!!!

Had about an hour to so to shoppe before they closed their doors for the night. Got one of my MOS' FAV antiques in Waynesville ... a kitachen gadget ... it's a Mold for Fried Nests Baskets .. a lotta' work to make these .. but when 'company's comin' .. this would be such fun! GOSH . .i wish i could post a picture of it! I will soon's i get this camera thingie found!

FRIED NESTS BASKETS .. DIRECTIONS AND RECIPES

These nests are most satisfactorily made when fried in a deep, narrow pan containing sufficient hot oil to completely cover the frying basket. The basket should first be dipped in the hot fat before the food is put in to prevent it sticking. Before frying the ingredients, potatoes, spaghetti, noodles, etc., must be carefully interlaced and built up around the bottom and sides of the basket in order to insure a well shaped nest.

======================

SPAGHETTI OR VERMICELLI NESTS

1 12 OZ. PACKAGE SPAGHETTI OR VERMICELLI

1 TEASPOON SALT

3 QUARTS WATER

1 EGG

¾ CUP FLOUR

¼ TEASPOON SALT

Add 1 teaspoon salt to water and bring to boiling point. Drop in unbroken spaghetti or vermicelli and cook gently 40 minutes. Drain and spread out on towel to dry. Dip spaghetti or vermicelli into slightly beaten egg; then dredge thoroughly with flour sifted with ¼ teaspoon salt; let stand 5 minutes.

Dip frying basket into hot fat. Fill lower bowl with floured spaghetti or vermicelli, interlacing the strips up and down, but not too closely. Lower upper bowl and fasten catch. Fill in open spaces around top, if necessary. Lower basket carefully into hot fat at 370 degrees and fry 3 minutes or until golden color. Remove from fat, unfasten the catch, lift up the upper bowl and turn nest out by tapping the basket very gently. Drain on brown paper.

===================

POTATO NESTS

6 POTATOES

1 TEASPOON SALT

Wash, pare, and cut potatoes, lengthwise in Julienne strips; soak over night in cold water. Drain and dry between towels.

Dip frying basket into hot fat. Fill lower bowl with dry potato strips, interlacing carefully in bottom and up on sides of basket. Press down upper bowl and close catch. Fill any holes which are formed with more potatoes. Fry nests in hot oil in 370 degrees for 3 minutes or until golden color. Remove from fat, unfasten catch, lift upper basket and turn nest out by tapping basket gently. Drain on brown paper. Sprinkle with salt.

The little aged and tattered directions gives recipes for fillings for these nests too! Lobster Thermidor .. Chicken a la King ... escalloped salmon .. tuna creole, crabmeat filling and veggie fillings too! The fillings are endless and as close as your recipe books and/or imagination!

I'm thinkin' you might be able to take two long handled strainers .. one smaller than the other to make these with .. AND .. i bet there is a 'new fangled' gadget on the market today for making these too! This little sucker set me back $35 .. but it was one of those 'wanna haves'! (I kinda' splurged on TWO things this trip .. both wire/metal .. i seem to have a 'thing' for wire/metal!!) Picture of t'other one below! But even though they were splurges .. they weren't zillion dollar ones!

One of the shopowners asked if i was staying for the ANTIQUES STREET SHOW there tomorrow! WOWZER! you bet i decided to! there is only one hotel and one motel in this little town .. both FULL, of course! sooo . .i headed for lebanon ten miles away ... hoped to get a room at the sweet little . the Golden Lamb historical hotel that kathy sugarbucket and i had stayed in a couple weeks before ... but it, too, was full! So, i ended up at the 'No-Tell Mo-Tell' ... ... it was behind a TACO BELLE where i had a sumptuous 'bean and mystery meat' meal!

I locked myself in ... boarded up the door with chairs and the motel table .. tore the nasty blankets, pillows and bed coverlet off the bed .. brought in my own from the car .. showered, washed my hair, painted my finger and toe-nails ... and surrounded myself with lotsa' BOOKS i had gotten that day .. and read myself to sleep!

Since i was ten miles away from Waynesville (O.K.!!! O.K.!!!!) 35 miles for me!!! cuz' i got lost getting back to Waynesville . .which is pretty damn pitiful considering it is a STRAIGHT road from Lebanon to Waynesville!!!!
Anyhoo ... i had a McDonald's breakfast and arrived in Waynesville half-an-hour before the show officially started. RIGHT AWAY .. i gobbled up two great little tables .. one is painted green (not olde paint) with a ZINC top!

t'other was a little painted table and two chairs! .. will post pics sometime soon!

got lotsa' littles too! musta' made 10 trips back and forth to the car to carry my treasures! Met some really nice people too! (i love travellin' with the ya-ya's .. but i love travellin' with jus' me too!) Found a great cast iron dutch oven .. several brown crocks and a brown pottery bowl. two wonderful white pillow cases (i LOVE the feel of olde pillowcases on my face at night). got more kitchen 'tinware' and a farm egg basket (wire) and a coupla' those big baskets that i use to toss 'weeds' in in the garden. got a big chicken watering tin thingie .. might make a 'planter' out of it. during my trip .. i got lots of books (mostly in springfield). three ADORABLE pairs of olde timey children's shoes .. might end up on my dollies or just on the shelf with my collection (i must have 25 or 30 pair!) got some wooden candlesticks .. some great olde fabrics for my dollies .. NO! not 1800's homespun!!! i did, indeed see some .. but waaaaaaaaaay more than i would be willing to let loose of that many pennies for! oh .. i got some more olde wooden spoons and silverplate 'soup' spoons. i collect those .. gonna' do sumpthin' fun with them someday. when i do .. i'll post what i did, how i did it and what it is for!!!!

OH!!!!!!!!! another FAVORITE treasure i got was a 'one-armed broom' .. it has this GREAT GNARLY wooden tree limb handle .. you stick your arm through the 'twist' .. and sweep the floor with one arm! yep! i'll picture it to you soon!

got some 'chicken wire' and olde 'burlap' .. nope! don't know what i'm going to do with it yet .. but it looks cute to decorate 'farmstyle' with until i do conjure up some ideas! at one shop .. (wonderful shoppe called FRESH EGGS in Waynesville) .. their window 'curtains' .. were olde burlap feedsacks pulled across the top of the window and just tied with jute and hung on nails!

there was another very 'posh' .. and oh-my-gawd-wonderful primitive shoppe in waynesville .. it was fun just hanging out lookin' at the awesome pieces and primitive crafts (THIS is when i wanted that 'hidden camera' ... there were two women in there and it was 'fun' listening to their 'uppity' conversation about the plight of the tasteless human beings in this world when it comes to antiques and decorating their homes! i would sure LOVE to see their homes .. and my mouth 'bout fell to the floor when the owner said her home was built in the 1920's .. (1920's homes can be VERY CHARMING) .. but from this woman's conversation .. that's NINETEEN .. not SEVENTEEN or EIGHTEEN hundreds .. as i would have thought from her conversation! good thing it wasn't rainin' in there .. cuz' those two ladies woulda' drowned what with their noses stuck so high up in the air! HA! i ended up spending EIGHT dollars in the store .. and wasn't he least bit intimidated! (got a dried gourd and a cute little teensy dried baby ear of corn cob .. that i 'think' had been dipped in dark wax and 'cinnamoned' up) then covered with a coupla' pieces of dried, coffee-stained corn husk tied with rusty wire. it reeeeeeeeeeely was cute .. and i got both of them so's to make some of my own. i always get inspiration from shoppes .. and since i'm not competing by selling them big time .. i wish i could remember what everything looks like once i've left the store. i did do some drawings of a coupla' primitive 'turkey' things. One was a dark wax turkey molded in a candy size mold .. then they put dried (stained) corn shucks behind like turkey feathers. these were 'stapled' to the wax turkey .. shoulda' just embedded them into the hot wax .. those shiny wire staples took away from it a little. remember the 'little things' when doing your primitive projects gurlfrenz. and NEVER EVER EVER EVER use a GLUE GUN when making a DOLLY .. unless you are working wood or metal and simply cannot get a NEEDLE through it!

Left Waynesville about 1:00 p.m. .. headed back to Lebanon .. and YEP! you guessed it! i got lost on that 'straight' road again!!!! Slim pickin's at the shoppes in Lebanon .. but i managed to pick up a few doo-dahs! Here's the 'big mall' at Lebanon. BROADWAY ANTIQUE MALL ... (next to the Golden Lamb) .. phone: 513-932-1410 .. there is another mall a couple blocks away Miller's Antique Market - 513-932-8710 ... 201 S. Broadway, Lebanon, OHIO(i think it is called Millers .. but if you go to the Broadway Antique Mall .. they can tell you the name and location) .. I did get one of my two mos' favorite antiques at this "millers mall" ... it's a wire 'pie-pan' cooling rack. This little diddly-bob cost me (o.k. .. cost HANK! $28.) .. but .. i've never seen one before .. and since i have a ba-jillion pie tins .. i thought it needed to come to Cabin Creek Farm to live!

Decided i wanted to hit my fav .... TRADERBAKERS in Kentucky before they closed (early on Sundays) ... soo .. i put the 'pedal to the metal' .. and had fifty minutes of shopping time when i hit the door! jus' about ran out of gas (again) and 'bout peed in my britches .. cuz' i didn't want to stop en route! AS ALWAY& .. i found some rustic things at Traderbakers!

With a big smile on my face .. i called honey hunk promising that i had stopped at my last antiques shoppe and i reeeeeeeely was heading home now!!! It was a good feeling to come up over the top of the hill on Brushy Road and see my 'olde kentucky home'. Honey Hunk was lookin' GOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOD.

ahhhhhhhhhhh .. these little trips now and then are good for the soul! NOW .. to get down to biznezz of making up those dolly kits for my class in Jabez this coming weekend! And i've got to find some time this week to visit town and all my gurlfrenz in Greensburg!!! OH .. and my article for the next Mercantile Gatherings magazine is due too (it's on it's way miz twigsy!!!)

Well, sweetie pies .. those dolly kits are not makin' themselves .. soooo .. i best get offa' this computer contraption and get to cuttin' and sewin'! Talk at ya' soon! I've missed you all! Hugs! Frannie

p.s. will post those pictures soon's i find the camera battery.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile
My goodness Frannie, go lay down or something. Can't wait to see the pictures, did you find the battery thing? Are a lot of these new finds going into your shop in town? Show us a picture sometime of where you display your for sale stuff in town. We must know everything!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile
hi sweetie pie ... i swear .. we are going to be dead long enough .. and sleep is kinda' like 'dead' .. so i stay awake as much as i can!!!

everything i got this trip is for Cabin Creek Farm. i have soooooooo many little 'prissies' to sell from our home in Maryland .. and i just don't want to part with most of my primitives .. not yet, anyhoo! i figger our girls can have one heck of an antiques shoppe someday .. a loooooooooooong time off i hope!

gotta' go down to glovers' station (my antiques mall) and re'do my booth for autumn .. real soon! will take some pics.

i'm HOPING my camera battery is plugged in somewhere at Wednesday's house. i have a call into her. would hate to have to buy a new one .. this one is practicaly brand spankin' new!

honey hunk and i are going to dinner and to see Wicker Man. later gater!

oh .. p.s. i did get 8 dollie bodies cut out, sewn and stained .. have to 'stuff' them tomorrow .. and then gather some 'wonderfuls' for clothing and accessories for my class next weekend. hugs!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  2:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie! Glad you were able to see Wednesday! That is just the coolest thing ever- to hop in your car and drive with no plans! You are an inspriration, Chicky!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  4:17:41 PM  Show Profile
I feel like I was a runnin' along side a-ya, gettin' lost on that straightaway road tween one town and t'next! Thanks for the great trip through Frannie-land!
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  5:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie,
We've been worried about you and there you are out havin fun! Wish I was with ya. I'm from NE oh originally, so your trip conjures up pics of BIG barns with 3 floors tall and lots of dairy cattle. It's sweet corn time. Did ya buy any? I miss the Amish families too.
Can't wait till I'm retired and can go off alone to treasure hunt. I think I'd have to take my sweetie though as I would miss him too much. Sounds like you need another person to help you mind your sugar though.Take care of yourself. Teddie

P.S. Waiting for pics.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  05:25:43 AM  Show Profile
hey gurlfrenz .. oh yeah! my camera battery is at my daughter's house and she is sending it to me today .. soooo .. soon's i get it .. i'll be posting lots of pictures to my "kentucky ramblers" .. it takes such a long time to get them posted here .. because of the route we have to go .. wish i could just point and click like when i send them in e-mails!

i've always done fun 'run-away' weekends .. hank says he believes they are 'good for my soul' .. and OH MY YESSSS ... darlins' it is a 'good thang' to have some 'alone time' or 'just gurlfrenz' time and leave the man-folk at home (or to go off and wander somewhere on his own) from time to time i do believe. ABSENCE does make the heart grow fonder .. and it is always such fun to tell each other our 'tales' upon return. i do love taking these trips with 'the gurlz' from time to time too ... soooooooo .. if you are nearby or 'in my path' and i post where i'm heading .. let me know .. and i'll pick you up to roam with me! i didn't see tons of farmland .. i think i had to amble a little further toward the middle of ohio for these .. i mostly went through small towns it seems. didn't buy any produce .. (we have TONS of sweet corn all up and down the roads of where i live) .. but i did look for pumpkins .. only saw a few little ones .. AND .. i do love to buy local and there is a farm in our county that sells BIG pumpkins for ONE DOLLAR and gorgeous gourds for .25 to .50 each. i would go looking for these today if i didn't have to finish up those dolly-kits!! NEXT WEEK FOR SURE!

XOXO

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic my fun OHIO adventures! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page